What are some of the most important aspects of writing smut?

CheertheSecond

The second coming of CheertheDead
I personally think it is the most important to make it immersive for the readers. I don't mean just immersive in physical pleasure but in emotional level too.

The character who engaged in the activity must demonstrate their feelings and why they were in such a high stage of emotion due to and for the physical interactions.

The character should feel happy when they held their partner with imaginable explanation for the swelling of emotion.

Sex should not just feel good because of sex. Even when I wrote fictions that are fetishes, for fetishes and by fetishes, I had to implant emotion into that. Technically speaking, if you are a good smut writer, you should have almost no problem writing a smut regardless of whatever sub tags there are in the scene.

I remember discussing necrophilia with my friend and he said he was really saddened by the misunderstood or the wrong approach to art. Instead of focusing on the emotion that he was trying to convey (the feeling of regret for being late to meet a lover, the happiness of reuniting with the lost one), people kept being deviated to the artefacts (which is the corpse and the action that is doing with the corpse). It made a really frustrating experience because humans are flawed and can not come to appreciate art without first being distracted by the surface level that veiled what below even if that veil is paper-thin and is not within the focus of the writing.

However, he did arrive at a matter-of-fact conclusion which is the "don't like don't read" rule. Basically, people held a prejudice against arts because of those paper-thin sugar coat and judged it not for quality but for their preference. However, the people is wrong because if they didn't like you should not read it in the first place. "If you don't like spicy food, sour food, sugary stuff, don't eat them and then mouthing off".

jrell

I think it is important to depict how characters look and do it frequently throughout the story: hair color, eyes, complexity, height, etc. If a reader cannot visualize a character in their mind at any point in the story, all the emotional aspects of your writing will be ineffective. Often, I've noticed authors only describe their characters once during their introduction, but readers won't remember these details ten chapters later, especially if you release 1-2 chapters weekly. This is simply how human memory works.

Pixytokisaki14

Half Kitsune Half Succubus
I can sum it up in three words

Every. Detail. Counts

When you're writing, its best to keep this in mind to paint a better picture of the scene. Especially if its sexy times.

SailusGebel

Nah, sometimes it has to be about physical pleasure only. Imagine if you write a sex scene with a fuckboy. Will he care about feelings? What if you write a sex scene with a prostitute? In my opinion, it depends on characters and what you want to achieve, what you want to portray. Same with how realistic it should be.

Garon

I personally think it is the most important to make it immersive for the readers. I don't mean just immersive in physical pleasure but in emotional level too.

The character who engaged in the activity must demonstrate their feelings and why they were in such a high stage of emotion due to and for the physical interactions.

The character should feel happy when they held their partner with imaginable explanation for the swelling of emotion.

Sex should not just feel good because of sex. Even when I wrote fictions that are fetishes, for fetishes and by fetishes, I had to implant emotion into that. Technically speaking, if you are a good smut writer, you should have almost no problem writing a smut regardless of whatever sub tags there are in the scene.

I remember discussing necrophilia with my friend and he said he was really saddened by the misunderstood or the wrong approach to art. Instead of focusing on the emotion that he was trying to convey (the feeling of regret for being late to meet a lover, the happiness of reuniting with the lost one), people kept being deviated to the artefacts (which is the corpse and the action that is doing with the corpse). It made a really frustrating experience because humans are flawed and can not come to appreciate art without first being distracted by the surface level that veiled what below even if that veil is paper-thin and is not within the focus of the writing.

However, he did arrive at a matter-of-fact conclusion which is the "don't like don't read" rule. Basically, people held a prejudice against arts because of those paper-thin sugar coat and judged it not for quality but for their preference. However, the people is wrong because if they didn't like you should not read it in the first place. "If you don't like spicy food, sour food, sugary stuff, don't eat them and then mouthing off".
For me. Make it emotional and don't cringe. Nothing more

Aader

I am too old for this shit.
Having some practical experience works.

HelloHound

Hound of hell, lover of girls
being aware of the limits of anatomy and being particular with the phrases used to describe it

CheertheSecond

The second coming of CheertheDead
Nah, sometimes it has to be about physical pleasure only. Imagine if you write a sex scene with a fuckboy. Will he care about feelings? What if you write a sex scene with a prostitute? In my opinion, it depends on characters and what you want to achieve, what you want to portray. Same with how realistic it should be.

feeling pleasure is also a type of feeling.

Enkiari

The most important part is not to be ashamed of what you are writing. Be brave and bold. The characters can have shame, but not the writer.
And using all the senses to describe the act is a great way to add spice to the writing. The smell, the touch, the trembling of the body, the heat and more. It all matters.
Knowing the limits of the body helps, but if you are writing fantasy it doesn't matter much.
You have to have a start, middle, culmination and the end. Don't skimp on any of the parts.
There is more, but I am trying to keep myself from relapsing into writing for AO3 again.
So I hope people find this helpful.

Anon2024

????????? (???/???)
There needs to be some emotion in it, unless it’s about emotionless sex.