What do you like about 'harem' tag

Rwvwndish

I mean, pretty much all the story in here are Harem and fantasy so i would like to know why

I dont like harem but im not hating it so neutral i guess? what is your opinion about it?

Daitengu

For me, stories with harems are last picks. And that's only if the premise is interesting enough to bother. They all feel like wish fulfillment of single writers that don't have a working understanding of how relationships work. They're all trophies after the capture. There's just no personal growth for anyone involved. I noticed that a lot of fanfics even warp canon mentality to fit a harem setting.

EternalSunset0

I personally got into writing and reading mainly through harem light novels. My faves include Saekano, Index, Strike the Blood, SAO, and Date a Live, so I just feel very at home with the genre.

To answer the question, I think a lot of people who get into amateur writing and posting on sites like this have somewhat similar backgrounds as I do, just in different shades.

Saileri

Your Friendly Neighborhood IT Guy
Uhhh, honestly, nothing. I kinda don't care what type of relationship the story has as a reader as long as it's enjoyable. There naturally are good and bad harems like all other things. I wouldn't judge a story based on the tags or relationships since they kinda describe what the story is about and what to expect.

As a writer, I like to go for what fits the full premise and story the best. As @Daitengu said, a lot of harem stories characters kinda blur in the background if there's too many in the latter parts. That's kinda what I'm trying to get rid off in my stories which include harem tags, having every important character have a deep personality and also importance to the story and/or the main character. I have at least 2 non-harem stories planned but they won't come until I finish uni. It's impossible to write 4 at once with a stable schedule while studying.

So, if someone asked me if I prefer harems. No. If someone asked why both of my current stories have it. Because it fits the premise/universe/story. But well, at least one of them is quite special and not that easy to categorize.

Give me anything fantasy related and I'll read it at some point definitely. No matter what tags and stuff.

Alkareel

Cuisses de Grenouille
I'm not against harem, as long as there are sensible scenarios in the story that lead up to it. However, if it is a senseless harem for the purpose of wish-fulfilling, then it shall receive my scorn.
Spit.gif

Chaos_Sinner777

Imprisoned Soul Seeking Isekai
For me, the general appeal with harems is that each girl(Or guy) fills a different niche. Characters can fill multiple roles but you'll want some variety. You need your confident flirtatious one, your easily embarrassed one, your elegant one, a bold and brash one, a trap, maybe a daughteru who everybody else dotes upon but when she grows up she REALLY asserts herself towards the MC, and various other potential things. So basically it's down to fetishes. Oh, and bonus points if the "Harem" are all pretty open about having fun with each other thus making it more of a polyamorous relationship that the MC just thinks is their Harem. Probably because he's a dumbass. Of course, it's most interesting if you can make them all actual characters beyond the niche they're filling.

TachimeSan

As long as the MC either bonks them all or bonks none of them then I'm good with the harem. I hate the kind where the Author introduces a bunch of S tier waifus, only to have the MC choose one at the end and break the other waifu's hearts. BONK THEM ALL OR NONE AT ALL.

SailusGebel

I like harems because that way girls won't be heartbroken. Kind of. I have no qualms with something like Nozoki Ana where mc switches girlfriends. But I do have a problem with mangas like Nisekoi or The World God Only Knows. You root for a girl, yet you don't want other girls to be unhappy because of how the protagonist can't draw a line between them. Yet in the end, we get one on one relationship. It is frustrating, to say the least. There isn't much manga or novels with one on one relationship WITHOUT the author at least teasing us with harem elements. So I prefer reading real harem with the hopes that the girls will end up happy. Though lately mangas(not so sure about novels) with harem tag are plagued with either open or shit endings.

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
I like harems because that way girls won't be heartbroken. Kind of. I have no qualms with something like Nozoki Ana where mc switches girlfriends. But I do have a problem with mangas like Nisekoi or The World God Only Knows. You root for a girl, yet you don't want other girls to be unhappy because of how the protagonist can't draw a line between them. Yet in the end, we get one on one relationship. It is frustrating, to say the least. There isn't much manga or novels with one on one relationship WITHOUT the author at least teasing us with harem elements. So I prefer reading real harem with the hopes that the girls will end up happy. Though lately mangas(not so sure about novels) with harem tag are plagued with either open or shit endings.
*ahem*

May I present you this?

Maple-Leaf

•Deceased
Sometimes the idea that so many people are satisfied with being one of the many lovers bothers me, but since harems aren't always done like that I can still read a book with harem in it, though I won't go looking for them.

ForestDweller

*ahem*

May I present you this?

Too much characters.

SailusGebel

*ahem*

May I present you this?

Ah, I see you're a man of culture as well. I've already seen this manga, so far it was great, but as a harem reader, I know that shit starts to hit the fan when manga nears its ending. Btw, Rentarou is the best husbando.

OneRanter

Southern Unorthodox MaskMaker
I mean, pretty much all the story in here are Harem and fantasy so i would like to know why

I dont like harem but im not hating it so neutral i guess? what is your opinion about it?
I love it! I love every tag! You can use them to find the stories you want or to push away the ones you loathe! \(*o*)/

ForestDweller

I love it! I love every tag! You can use them to find the stories you want or to push away the ones you loathe! \(*o*)/

I wonder how many writers here that are also avid readers of the stories in this site.

I myself barely read anything here. I read manga and LN instead.