What do you think of Ritoria?

JenLeifire

Like @JenLeifire quoted:

Also I found this:

It seems that we're part of "Ritoria and/or its licensors", but that's so suspicious, and intentionally misleading. They might try to say you still fully own it, but

Automatically assumes that Ritoria holds a part of its rights if you don't state it otherwise. Huge redflags.
Yeah its way too sus, better stay away from them

georgelee5786

2024 Shovel Duel Champion
So far, I like it. It took me a bit to get used to the setup, but otherwise, it is smooth sailing.

Mortrexo

That paragraph straight up isn't in the TOS.
It was when I uploaded the comment. If it isn't there now, they must have deleted it. If not, why would I upload a screen capture of that? I'm not so free to go badmouthing pages I don't even know.

Anon2024

????????? (???/???)
It was when I uploaded the comment. If it isn't there now, they must have deleted it. If not, why would I upload a screen capture of that? I'm not so free to go badmouthing pages I don't even know.
I believe you. It's a new site and they're probably still adjusting a lot of things around. Either way we don't know how they're going to operate from this point on so while free real estate sounds nice I assume everyone is like WebNovel when they first start.

Amok

grblbrbl
Who wants to go establish ourselves on their desolate forums?
a new world awaits. let us gift them blankets.

(real tho site looks okay, few eyes but eh all ostriches come from eggs. only forum sections that seem to have any activity are Adult, BL and Ya. the more platforms the better I say)

Paul_Tromba

Sleep deprived mess of a published author
a new world awaits. let us gift them blankets.

(real tho site looks okay, few eyes but eh all ostriches come from eggs. only forum sections that seem to have any activity are Adult, BL and Ya. the more platforms the better I say)
We shall transform it into our image.

BluePheasant

A site of great potentiality only needed to be mended right.

For some reason, GL is getting zero attention. Which is okay, we already have SH for that.

But instead, BL is getting all the attention. Sigh~ 🤦

yansusustories

Matchmaker of Handsome Men
(ETA: This is about Ritoria, not Tapas. More on Tapas in the other comment.)

I got an invite over on Tapas the other day but am not really convinced yet even though I am happy seeing so many queer stories on there. Currently, without registering, you can't even see the FAQ, the newsfeed or forums, details about or rates for the services they offer. That is all stuff I want to see first and then I'll base my decision on whether I want to register on that. There is also hardly any info in their About section. Considering there is money involved, I hold them to a higher standard and feel like they simply don't reach that yet. The whole thing just looks unfinished to me. They're clearly still working on it though so I might give them another glance later.

Last edited:

UnknownSaint171

I got an invite over on Tapas the other day but am not really convinced yet even though I am happy seeing so many queer stories on there. Currently, without registering, you can't even see the FAQ, the newsfeed or forums, details about or rates for the services they offer. That is all stuff I want to see first and then I'll base my decision on whether I want to register on that. There is also hardly any info in their About section. Considering there is money involved, I hold them to a higher standard and feel like they simply don't reach that yet. The whole thing just looks unfinished to me. They're clearly still working on it though so I might give them another glance later.
The reason I asked is that over the year Tapas has been adapting original works that weren't even popular on its site into webcomic form. I was wondering what is up with that.. But yeah like you said they don't tell you much info!

yansusustories

The reason I asked is that over the year Tapas has been adapting original works that weren't even popular on its site into webcomic form. I was wondering what is up with that.. But yeah like you said they don't tell you much info!
Oh, I'm so sorry, I only answered the question in the title. What I said before is all about Ritoria. I can actually say a bit more about Tapas since I have been on there for a while.

Personally, I do like Tapas as a whole mostly because they (similar to SH) listen to feedback from the community. It often takes some time since they're a lot bigger but they do implement some changes. E.g., they added a GL-genre after the community badgered them long enough while also adding an LGBT+ genre that is separate from BL and GL since people were worried about mixing two types of very different stories. I think this also shows that where it concerns the queer community, they are pretty good.

Now, as for paying authors: They do! There are actually several ways to earn on there. One is by getting proceeds from advertisements shown and another from reader support. These both work for free, non-contracted stories so that is nice. In detail:
You get ad proceeds for one story which is the one with the most followers. This can majorly fuck you over in some circumstances because the proceeds depend on reads, not followers, and sometimes, there is this odd thing going on where you get a massive amount of followers for a story but not many reads. I am personally in that awkward situation because my first story hit trending a couple of times and thus got many followers while the others that are read more often can't get up to the number of followers. Really sucks. So if you wanna go there, you might need to plan well.
As for support, this is really nice. Readers can buy or earn ink (Tapas' currency) and then either use it to unlock contracted stories or give it to authors to support them. Tapas keeps a part of that (how much depends on whether it was bought or earned ink) but there are also times (Inksgiving, I believe is one) where the percentage is lower and readers are especially likely to donate. Tapas will sometimes also gift readers ink but those can be bound to be used on contracted stories.

Interaction-wise, Tapas is a bit better for me, personally, compared to SH. I like that you get notifications about likes, followers, and comments that you can sort separately. Even if you don't get many comments, you at least see the likes which means you know that people read. I don't really have any days where nobody reads which is a really nice feeling that I definitely don't have on here where it feels like I am posting into a vacuum.
Readers can also leave a message when giving you ink and you are shown which story they clicked the link for which can be an interesting insight. Like, readers can gift ink from your profile (no note then), or from each of your stories. So if you have two stories and very often see a note that ink was given for one of them, you can draw your conclusions. That's really nice.

Overall, I'm pretty happy with Tapas and would definitely sign up again. One thing to keep in mind is that you do compete with comics and sometimes, it can feel like you're not doing well because of that. Between a comic and a novel, your novel will likely only get a fraction of the interaction the comic gets even if the comic updates less often. That is something to always keep in mind. If you want to compare, try to compare with other novels in your genres (you can choose 2, btw) instead.

JenLeifire

Oh, I'm so sorry, I only answered the question in the title. What I said before is all about Ritoria. I can actually say a bit more about Tapas since I have been on there for a while.

Personally, I do like Tapas as a whole mostly because they (similar to SH) listen to feedback from the community. It often takes some time since they're a lot bigger but they do implement some changes. E.g., they added a GL-genre after the community badgered them long enough while also adding an LGBT+ genre that is separate from BL and GL since people were worried about mixing two types of very different stories. I think this also shows that where it concerns the queer community, they are pretty good.

Now, as for paying authors: They do! There are actually several ways to earn on there. One is by getting proceeds from advertisements shown and another from reader support. These both work for free, non-contracted stories so that is nice. In detail:
You get ad proceeds for one story which is the one with the most followers. This can majorly fuck you over in some circumstances because the proceeds depend on reads, not followers, and sometimes, there is this odd thing going on where you get a massive amount of followers for a story but not many reads. I am personally in that awkward situation because my first story hit trending a couple of times and thus got many followers while the others that are read more often can't get up to the number of followers. Really sucks. So if you wanna go there, you might need to plan well.
As for support, this is really nice. Readers can buy or earn ink (Tapas' currency) and then either use it to unlock contracted stories or give it to authors to support them. Tapas keeps a part of that (how much depends on whether it was bought or earned ink) but there are also times (Inksgiving, I believe is one) where the percentage is lower and readers are especially likely to donate. Tapas will sometimes also gift readers ink but those can be bound to be used on contracted stories.

Interaction-wise, Tapas is a bit better for me, personally, compared to SH. I like that you get notifications about likes, followers, and comments that you can sort separately. Even if you don't get many comments, you at least see the likes which means you know that people read. I don't really have any days where nobody reads which is a really nice feeling that I definitely don't have on here where it feels like I am posting into a vacuum.
Readers can also leave a message when giving you ink and you are shown which story they clicked the link for which can be an interesting insight. Like, readers can gift ink from your profile (no note then), or from each of your stories. So if you have two stories and very often see a note that ink was given for one of them, you can draw your conclusions. That's really nice.

Overall, I'm pretty happy with Tapas and would definitely sign up again. One thing to keep in mind is that you do compete with comics and sometimes, it can feel like you're not doing well because of that. Between a comic and a novel, your novel will likely only get a fraction of the interaction the comic gets even if the comic updates less often. That is something to always keep in mind. If you want to compare, try to compare with other novels in your genres (you can choose 2, btw) instead.
Yeah I am also on Tapas, and its fine. However, about the paying system before you can earn something you need 100 subscribers or you cant even put up kofi or anything where people could support you which I personally find not great. Fine need 100 subscribers for earning from them but let me put up at least my personal thing so people can support me if they want to. So thats the only thing that really annoys me on Tapas. I have only 12 followers so far so yeah nowhere near to 100 lol

yansusustories

Yeah I am also on Tapas, and its fine. However, about the paying system before you can earn something you need 100 subscribers or you cant even put up kofi or anything where people could support you which I personally find not great. Fine need 100 subscribers for earning from them but let me put up at least my personal thing so people can support me if they want to. So thats the only thing that really annoys me on Tapas. I have only 12 followers so far so yeah nowhere near to 100 lol
Ah, Tapas regularly has times (e.g., the Inktober I mentioned) when they open the on-site support-ability for people with less than 100 subscribers. Just look out for that on the forums and then email them. They're really chill about it from what I know. You're unlikely to earn a lot with less than 100 subscribers since few tip anyway but it's a start.
Also, you can set up ko-fi or Patreon through your profile in the same way you do for your website or social media. The link appears (on desktop) on the left-hand site as part of your profile. If you want to do that, just go to the settings for your profile. Other than that, I think you can link to anything in the description of the chapters (I always use that as a space for what basically amounts to a creator's comment and have seen others do the same) and mention your ko-fi etc. there to regularly remind people. It's a good workaround even though it's more work than here on SH with the automatic link at the end of chapters.

JenLeifire

Ah, Tapas regularly has times (e.g., the Inktober I mentioned) when they open the on-site support-ability for people with less than 100 subscribers. Just look out for that on the forums and then email them. They're really chill about it from what I know. You're unlikely to earn a lot with less than 100 subscribers since few tip anyway but it's a start.
Also, you can set up ko-fi or Patreon through your profile in the same way you do for your website or social media. The link appears (on desktop) on the left-hand site as part of your profile. If you want to do that, just go to the settings for your profile. Other than that, I think you can link to anything in the description of the chapters (I always use that as a space for what basically amounts to a creator's comment and have seen others do the same) and mention your ko-fi etc. there to regularly remind people. It's a good workaround even though it's more work than here on SH with the automatic link at the end of chapters.
Oooh coool thx for the tips =D rly appreciated <3

Anon2024

????????? (???/???)
Well they told me they allow incest so I’ve migrated all my free stuff over there. It’s much more sparse than SH but I really don’t mind it at all. I hope they make a downloadable app.

Ai-chan

Queen of Yuri Devourer of Traps
Well they told me they allow incest so I’ve migrated all my free stuff over there. It’s much more sparse than SH but I really don’t mind it at all. I hope they make a downloadable app.
SH doesn't ban incest. Tony specifically said that.

Anon2024

????????? (???/???)
SH doesn't ban incest. Tony specifically said that.
I know. I deleted my story and went to Ritoria because I’m not emotionally sound enough right now to handle 1 star ratings.