What got you into reading? How did your tastes change over time?

Verdante

Was it your favorite anime or manga that got you into stories? Was it a tv-show? A novel? Fanfiction? How did you find yourself in scribblehub looking for more stories to read? I'm curious :blob_sir:

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
My parents read to me every night before bed.
My aunt was a school librarian, and she gave me a lot of books. Now she's retired and giving my son books.
During summers in elementary school, my dad took me on bicycle rides to the local library a lot.
I started hanging out in my middle school library every day after school.
My middle school library had a book exchange at the end of every year, and that's how I got stocked up on fresh things to read over the summer.

Animorphs was my favorite in elementary school.
I discovered Ray Bradbury in middle school.
My boyfriends introduced me to Asimov and Heinlein.
I also read a lot of fanfiction on Fanfiction.net.

Tempokai

Overworked One
A half torn Soviet era sci-fi almost isekai novel about the boy who wanted to go back to his realm of existence while becoming a false king, getting robbed by anthropomorphic cats, and other bizarreness I had found in the father side (probably deceased) grandfather's closet in the attic. My taste didn't change much.

TsumiHokiro

Just another chick in the universe
My mother would read to me before I went to sleep. They were seasonal tales, religious ones, parabolas, whichever she had at hand. When she did not, she would leave recordings for me to listen.
By the time I learned to read, I would read everything I could get my hands on: children's book, encyclopedias, scientific experiment books, medicine journals, informatic journals, etc
I've known 'stories' ever since I was a toddler, so it is a bit hard to tell you which one got me into it. I was just raised with an extreme exposure to written media, traditional ones, and it naturally came to me to enjoy it.
Edit: I always forget something these days. About scribblehub. I've known it for years, I never bothered to join. I've joined it not for reading, but for my writing though.
Found out about scribblehub when it was launched.

Last edited:

Paul_Tromba

Sleep deprived mess of a published author
For me, it was the 39 clues series that really got me into it. Though my tastes have changed over the years.

georgelee5786

2024 Shovel Duel Champion
Hardy Boys is the first series i remember reading a lot. Tastes went from non-fiction to fiction of multiple genres

Sleds

I'm looking for Disney Sleds
I've started with bleach vo with sub, then when I'm being bored of waiting for more episode, I started reading manga, one day found Re:monster and wanted to read more about the story so I looked for the novel and since then I'm lost in the novels website.

RepresentingEnvy

En-Chan Queen Vampy!
In middle school it was mostly to get away from other people. I would just sit in the library reading during free periods. At first it was just to get away like I said, but eventually I fell in love with reading.

I stopped reading after highschool, and I remember watching an anime. That anime made me want to pick up reading again.

Forestbear

Got into Pokemon when I was coherent. Thirsted for more cartoons ever since until I realized Manga was a thing. I then realized not every great story got adaptions so I started scrounging around for other ideas and plots. Got irritated about not seeing diversity in stories and thought, 'Do it yourself, you ass.', then I came here.

Aprendiz

The truth is that in my childhood and most of my adolescence I always hated reading. It wasn't until I read Mistborn that I changed my mind and when I learned English by reading light novels like Overlord, Tensura and Xianxias that I gained the habit of reading without realizing it.

Voidiris

Gaze into the abyss to truly see?
When I was 6-9yo I liked to read one fantasy book series with 90+ books (forgot the name) then I read like every year 3-8 fantasy books (ignoring the books I had to read because of the school). 1 year ago I truly started to read books or rather webnovels, the first novel had a male (gender neutral) (tensei slime) and thought he was annoying, then I read tensei spider and loved it. After that I read another novel with a female evil character (A wild last boss appeared) and another (demon noble girl) and another (genocide online). Thus my preference of female protagonist and evil protagonist was born, thanks to Nowhere star sick and broken protagonist got my liking too.

DeathDoesWonder

I got hooked on "The Magic Treehouse" series by Mary Pope Osborne in elementary and later picked up more books as time went by. Loved reading ever since. For novels online, it started with "Coiling Dragon" since I couldnt get the latest webcomic chapter. Found out it was based on a novel and thats how I got into chinese novels/online novels in general. And branched out from there till now. Where my past time is just reading online novels and listening to music.

RobBanks

When everyone hates the sheer sight of your face, sometimes all you wanna do is bury it under something really sturdy. Eventually the words on the object may or may not pique your interest.

Daitengu

Believe it or not, it started with Sword Art Online for me. atleast when it comes to web novels. Back when the first season finished, I wanted to know what happened next so, I ended up reading the translated web novel.

As for reading Manga, it was actually all the Naruto filler episodes.

Yeah I'm older than most of you, what of it? lol

Redemit

I actually struggled a lot just learning HOW to read
it wasn't until was like 9 that it all began to click in my head and the thing that really did it was video games and having subtitles on everything