What is more important, plot or character?

What is more important?

• Plot

• Character

Results are only viewable after voting.

BlackKnightX

To write a good story, you need both. Characters are what the readers care and talk about the most. And plot is what keep the readers’ interest.

But, each writers tend to focus more on one than the other. Such is the birth of plot-driven and character-driven story.

So, what about you? Which one do you focus on more? What is more important to you, plot or character?

killwrites

Need motivation
I actually prefer plot over characters, especially those stories that have a subtle underlying story hidden in the main story if you get what i mean.

Kinda ironic that my own story is character-driven because, well, I wanted to try writing one in a JP LN style

BlackKnightX

Kinda ironic that my own story is character-driven because, well, I wanted to try writing one in a JP LN style
Totally understand you! 😂

I love plot-driven story too. Mostly because it’s just fun to read. But when I write, I usually focus more on the characters. It’s like I can’t help writing about people.

EternalSunset0

Character. Even if the anime/movie is just average or lacking in super big twists, if I can find a waifu, I'll like it.

But of course, having a good story is a big bonus.

Jemini

The best plots are the ones that are built around character growth arcs. In order to have character growth arcs, you need good strong characters. Therefore, the best plots are built upon the foundation of really good characters.

(You might realize, it kinda sounds like I answered the question, but I actually didn't.)

ArcadiaBlade

I'm a Lazy Writer, So What?
Without plot, there are no characters to portray as. Without characters, there is no plot. Meaning that both have roles in the story and undermines how a story should be written.

If you take out the character, the story would basically run without knowing whose who because you don't even know who is the main character, the antagonist or the other roles that play in the plot.

Going by that logic, a story would become lackluster if all you made was a good character without the plot backing up the story. How can a story exist if there isn't a plot unfold? You think slice of life doesn't have plot, a generic fighting game isn't build without a story or even a simple guy just popped out of nowhere for BS reason? Everything need to make sense before adding craziness to it or you just wrote a story for only a good character to remember how a shitty novel for it was.

TL;DR - I have no idea what I wrote but I like watermelons.

BlackKnightX

The best plots are the ones that are built around character growth arcs. In order to have character growth arcs, you need good strong characters. Therefore, the best plots are built upon the foundation of really good characters.

(You might realize, it kinda sounds like I answered the question, but I actually didn't.)
Sounds like character-driven story with a hero journey template. 😆
Without plot, there are no characters to portray as. Without characters, there is no plot. Meaning that both have roles in the story and undermines how a story should be written.

If you take out the character, the story would basically run without knowing whose who because you don't even know who is the main character, the antagonist or the other roles that play in the plot.

Going by that logic, a story would become lackluster if all you made was a good character without the plot backing up the story. How can a story exist if there isn't a plot unfold? You think slice of life doesn't have plot, a generic fighting game isn't build without a story or even a simple guy just popped out of nowhere for BS reason? Everything need to make sense before adding craziness to it or you just wrote a story for only a good character to remember how a shitty novel for it was.

TL;DR - I have no idea what I wrote but I like watermelons.
Dunno what you’re talking about, but I like watermelons, too.

Jemini

Sounds like character-driven story with a hero journey template. 😆

No, that's just your standard character growth arc. The hero's journey requires an ordinary world setting into a call to adventure, refusal of the call, meeting the mentor, crossing the threshold, encountering trials, allies, and enemies, going through a major ordeal, obtaining a reward, and then the "happily ever after" scenario.

A character growth arch can mirror a hero's journey if you want to plot it that way, but it's not necessary. A character growth arc is establish the character, expose the character flaws, introduce a situation where the character flaws cause the character to fail, have the character recognize the need to change, present a challenge where in order to succeed the character needs to overcome their character flaws.

Depending on how you want to plot your story, it's up to you to choose whether or not they succeed on that 2nd challenge.

Anyway, yeah, character growth arc and hero's journey are two completely different things. They can run parallel to each other, but they are not the same thing.

i'm okay even if the story is just the standard cliche shit if the character is good, esp the mc.

but i might drop even a supposedly 'good' story if i don't like the mc.

TheTrinary

Hi, I'm Stephen
Character. It's basically factual.

You can have a slice of life with no plot.

You can't have a plot with no characters because the plot is only as important as the audience's attachment to the characters.

BlackKnightX

i'm okay even if the story is just the standard cliche shit if the character is good, esp the mc.

but i might drop even a supposedly 'good' story if i don't like the mc.
Understandable~ 😂

I already lost count on how many stories I‘ve dropped just because the character does something stupid.

SakeVision

Sama/kisama
Plot. You can make a clever story with poorly written or unlikable characters, and it's still gonna be interesting. But put well-written or likable characters in a bad story, and their characterization will suffer too.

Anon_Y_Mousse

Semicolon Enjoyer
Characters most definitely, at least when it comes to novels.
Actually scratch that, even in combat-oriented manga like Records of Ragnarok the characters are still lively.
A well-executed plot is dependent on well-written characters anyways.
Your story can literally be about a dystopian society where robot overlords harvest cum daily and it would still be great as long as the characters are done well.

BlackKnightX

Plot. You can make a clever story with poorly written or unlikable characters, and it's still gonna be interesting. But put well-written or likable characters in a bad story, and their characterization will suffer too.
I disagree. Unlikable characters will only urge me to drop the story.

No matter how clever the story is, if I don’t like the character (like, Japanese harem protagonist for example), then I’ll drop the story right away.

It’s just irritating to just keep going. Though, this is very subjective.

Biggest-Kusa-Out-There

Futanari Enjoyer
Plot-driven character tend to be underdeveloped and flat, while character-driven plot tend to serve the character’s growth.

Just my opinion~ 😝
I mean... the question itself could be interpreted as either focusing on the river of the boat. If the boat is too heavy it will sink. If the river is too robust the boat sinks either way...

PhillisCreziles

﹤Once a Potato﹥
I prefer plot over character mainly because with writing a plot, I can teach readers about themes with an overarching story.

But I guess I still need characters in order to do that.
Dammit.

BlackKnightX

I mean... the question itself could be interpreted as either focusing on the river of the boat. If the boat is too heavy it will sink. If the river is too robust the boat sinks either way...
Yep, like I said, you need both to create a good story. But, you can still focus on one more than the other.

The weight of the boat or the robustness of the river can vary. The boat won’t sink as long as it stay within the balance.

Last edited:

Renaxan

Enthusiastic about a lot of things.
I choose plot. I have read too many story with bad characterization but having good plot at this point so I'm get used to it...

Example, I'm playing eroge too (more than 200 at this point) and most of the mc was like a stupid virgin who won lottery harem for some not realistic reason, then when it comes to heroine they become dense as brick to them until the heroine forced to kiss the mc. Good characterization? More like good design.. yes.

Or just lucky enough to survive the whole plot if it was action story (lmao).

I would still go on if the story has plot, even though mc was dumb af, all heroine also dumb cliche af, but the plot is epic.

Rance is great example.

However if the story only emphasize the character, and the plot was too simple as I could predict it from start I would drop it. There is no point to read it when I know it would end the same (heroine ended with mc)

It is just my subjective opinion though.

Edit more : Oh by the way, it is applied to my writing too. My mc was so dumb to be honest especialy first 20-ish chapter , but I did foreshadowing plot a lot and make most of my reader going to predict how it goes.

It is kind of satisfying feels tbh when they do that... I lost a lot of reader by doing it but I always remember you can't satisfy everyone.

Last edited: