What is more important, plot or character?

What is more important?

• Plot

• Character

Results are only viewable after voting.

KoyukiMegumi

Kitty
Like I said, it’s very subjective. For me, I don’t look for reality when reading a story. Anything can be thrown at me no matter how weird or silly it is. I still read it as long as it’s fun.

But if the story takes itself too seriously. If it tries to be as realistic as possible, then it can limit the possibility and ruin the fun.

That said, I’ll read GB if the mc likes girls like I do. Or, if there’s no romance, then that’s fine too.
So, in other words, you read anything that is relatable to you. :blob_happy: It isn't bad, just your preference! I like to write/read serious stories rather than lighter ones. So, I always come at the angle of realism within fantasy. I don't think realism hinders the fantasy, just makes the stakes higher.

Then again, it is fantasy, so not everything has to make sense! The most important part is that it is an escape for you.

Everyone is different! And you know what that is, what makes the world so great to live in!

It gives us diversity and alluring content to consume!💕

Temple

To write a good story, you need both. Characters are what the readers care and talk about the most. And plot is what keep the readers’ interest.

But, each writers tend to focus more on one than the other. Such is the birth of plot-driven and character-driven story.

So, what about you? Which one do you focus on more? What is more important to you, plot or character?
For me, I focus more on character. That's because I want to put my character in various settings, or can even say genres, basically do whatever I want with story. However, webnovel readers look for their plot preferences. Which is why there is the trend of very descriptive web/light novel titles so that readers already know if they like the premise. And being a fan of a character needs time investment, which we cannot ask from prospective readers in this world with thousands and thousands of other stories. Still, I focus on character despite this.

Biggest-Kusa-Out-There

Futanari Enjoyer
Let's say the guy is an incredible psychopath. This means most people won't connect with him. But the way he acts may fascinate them and that makes him a good character. Throw a few likable things like he has a moral rule of not harming children and boom, you have a good, likable character.
May I introduce you to Khada Jhin, The Virtuoso from League of Legends? He's one of the most deranged psychopaths in fiction and people absolutely love him. Outside of his kit as a playable character, his written persona is amazing, consistent, and one of the best Riot has ever produced. He works really good in the plot and as a standalone as well. There is literally no redeeming qualities to him, none. He's a madman that kills his victims through the lens of theatrics and his approach to insanity if you will is what draws people in. You won't find any gram of simpathy in him, and that doesn't make him a villain either because he's not evil for the sole purpose of being evil.

Characters should never be one dimensional in good and evil. A fluffy rabbit that harms nobody and accepts everybody can be a predatory capitalist despot and still be lovable. A serial killer that includes children as victims may do so for social justice and the safety of the downtrodden and still be lovable. It's a mix of motivations/goals/actions/desires/needs/wants that make a good character. Not the avoidance of a particular evil but the justified approach to said evils. The line should be so blurry it makes you feel complicated. You know... like real people?

A character that never does 'bad things' is plain at best and a mary sue at worst. A floor mat if you will. Harmless instead of peaceful. They will act only as a reaction to events rather than being proactive in the plot.

And we arrive to that annoying question: Who are you writing for? Do you want to make plausible characters within a narrative or do you seek the projection and acceptance of readers? Some may love the rabbit, others will stan the serial killer. But every reader will await the day the two meet and shit goes down.

KoyukiMegumi

Kitty
May I introduce you to Khada Jhin, The Virtuoso from League of Legends? He's one of the most deranged psychopaths in fiction and people absolutely love him. Outside of his kit as a playable character, his written persona is amazing, consistent, and one of the best Riot has ever produced. He works really good in the plot and as a standalone as well. There is literally no redeeming qualities to him, none. He's a madman that kills his victims through the lens of theatrics and his approach to insanity if you will is what draws people in. You won't find any gram of simpathy in him, and that doesn't make him a villain either because he's not evil for the sole purpose of being evil.
Heck yeah! Kusa Senpai is here to lecture me. 💕

Oh, yeah, Jhin! Lol, I never knew about his lore, but he always seemed creepy to me. My hubs loves to play him though. That is where consistency matters. People rarely know how to write a good psychopath. These people don't see themselves as evil, thus it is hard to portray them right. Likability doesn't mean people sympathize with someone. Also, there is no way to know if he has no sympathetic value because everyone is an individual.

I'm sure a psychopathic person may identify with Jhin and even sympathize with him. After all, he isn't evil for the sake of being evil. Heheh... You know we have psychos out in our worlds that love this kind of stuff.

I personally love a good psychopath. Uh, the story of You, is one I like. I love the psycho, but I don't identify with him at all. He is fun to watch. Creepy too... It fascinates me how he fixates on things to the point of obsession.

Characters should never be one dimensional in good and evil. A fluffy rabbit that harms nobody and accepts everybody can be a predatory capitalist despot and still be lovable. A serial killer that includes children as victims may do so for social justice and the safety of the downtrodden and still be lovable. It's a mix of motivations/goals/actions/desires/needs/wants that make a good character. Not the avoidance of a particular evil but the justified approach to said evils. The line should be so blurry it makes you feel complicated. You know... like real people?

A character that never does 'bad things' is plain at best and a mary sue at worst. A floor mat if you will. Harmless instead of peaceful. They will act only as a reaction to events rather than being proactive in the plot.
The key to a believable and good character is consistency. True, they should never be one-dimensional, but grey. A mix of good and bad, like every other human being there is. Their flaws need to stand out as well as they overcome them. I like them when they are complex. Because that is what actual people do. They are complex beings. Most people think they would not kill until pushed into that spot. Then survival kicks, though there are people who wouldn't no matter what.

And we arrive to that annoying question: Who are you writing for? Do you want to make plausible characters within a narrative or do you seek the projection and acceptance of readers? Some may love the rabbit, others will stan the serial killer. But every reader will await the day the two meet and shit goes down.
When you say bunny, I remember the man-eating ones in Re: Zero. If it is that bunny, I would see shit go down every day.:blob_happy:

BlackKnightX

Some may love the rabbit, others will stan the serial killer. But every reader will await the day the two meet and shit goes down.
Doesn’t always have to be Like that. Who know, they can meet and become best friend. The contrast will make quite a good comedy, and maybe even a wholesome story.

LostLibrarian

I picked Plot.

Plot is the sum of the characters' actions, so a great plot automatically has at least good characters. While great characters with bad plot will just make for a boring mess.

So yeah, I cheated and picked both, but I hide behind that reasoning xD

TheTrinary

Hi, I'm Stephen
Basically this. Jane Austen, who I am currently reading, is basically all character and small plot. It's about having the characters bounce off of each other as they go through their lives. It's basically slice of life with a throughline of Darcy and Elizabeth's relationship
So you're reading Pride and Prejudice? That's a good one.

BlackKnightX

I picked Plot.

Plot is the sum of the characters' actions, so a great plot automatically has at least good characters. While great characters with bad plot will just make for a boring mess.

So yeah, I cheated and picked both, but I hide behind that reasoning xD
Would have been cooler if you didn’t just confess your crime! 😂

EternalSunset0

Yeah, and most people here write that they need likable characters. People don't care for the plot, people don't care for how good the characters are. People want a blank slate for their own self-insert. It was an exaggeration. Sure, they want an engaging plot. BUT, that's not what drives them when they are on the lookout for a new story. The main reason they consider reading the story is to have an mc who allows them to self-insert. This is the most important. Everything else is secondary. And let me remind you of your own question. "What is more important, plot or character?" Right now, I gave you an answer.
Or maybe someone to collect sexy pics of and see being put in situations with my favorite kinks and fetishes 👀

Personally, that's often what hooks me since I really can't relate to self-inserting. To be fair, that has gotten me my fair share of junk/fast food and actual deep, thought-provoking stories and social commentaries.

JM_Webb

Paladin "Enthusiast"
So you're reading Pride and Prejudice? That's a good one.
Yeah. It started a bit slow, but now all of the drama is happening and there's a surprising amount of drama and tension that is arising. Also, Austen's characterization in dialogue is incredible.

I also, might, have plans for a Jane Austen litrpg Isekai because the concept is so absurd I HAVE to write it.

TheTrinary

Hi, I'm Stephen
Yeah. It started a bit slow, but now all of the drama is happening and there's a surprising amount of drama and tension that is arising. Also, Austen's characterization in dialogue is incredible.

I also, might, have plans for a Jane Austen litrpg Isekai because the concept is so absurd I HAVE to write it.
Lol, that would be something.

If you want to keep keep reading Austen, skip Sense and Sensibility. It's legitimately awful.

NotaNuffian

This does spark joy.
You are correct. c: This is all subjective.

GB, is what usually makes male readers comfortable reading a female character? Why? Because she has the mind of a male. *Though I still believe if you put a man in a girl's body, I would love to see them react to their first period.* :blob_happy:
The word is painful. I placed TENS pads on my stomach once like what the youtubers did and OW.

Nearly shat myself as I squeezed abit too hard on my bowels. And I had my balls struck twice in my life.

Last edited:

JM_Webb

Paladin "Enthusiast"
Lol, that would be something.

If you want to keep keep reading Austen, skip Sense and Sensibility. It's legitimately awful.

That's basically what I've heard. It seems controversial among Austen fans too. Northanger Abbey is next on my list I think.

TheTrinary

Hi, I'm Stephen
That's basically what I've heard. It seems controversial among Austen fans too. Northanger Abbey is next on my list I think.
It's like the opposite of Pride and Prejudice. "19 Year-olds should marry rich men in their 40's because love is overrated and you're a woman." Like, seriously.

SailusGebel

Or maybe someone to collect sexy pics of and see being put in situations with my favorite kinks and fetishes 👀

Personally, that's often what hooks me since I really can't relate to self-inserting. To be fair, that has gotten me my fair share of junk/fast food and actual deep, thought-provoking stories and social commentaries.
What?

KoyukiMegumi

Kitty
The word is painful. I placed TENS pads on my stomach once like what the youtubers did and OW.

Nearly shat myself as I squeezed abit too hard on my bowels. And I had my balls struck twice in my life.

Heheh... Yep, very painful! Although there are some women, who have it even worse if they have medical conditions. They sometimes even faint from anemia from prolonged cycles!

There are some who don't feel anything at all (lucky ones). But we all have to deal with the blood and all the pads/cotton balls we stick in there. Getting all our clothes stained if we bleed to much too is a hassle. This usually last ~5-7 days.

This is every month(~28 days)! Pfft, I would love to have two jewels to protect than a bleeding hole! :C

Though I believe you are lucky to have them struck only twice! :blob_melt: I'm jelly!

EternalSunset0

I'm just making a joke on the self-inserting part. Somewhere along the lines of "but what about people who don't self-insert?!" in response to "The main reason they consider reading the story is to have an mc who allows them to self-insert."

While giving an example that instead of the self-inserting aspect of it, the reason I pick up a series is if I can find a sexy girl who I can save many pics of or see in fanart that involve my kinks and such.

And it has gotten me into reading/watching a wide spectrum of stuff, from critically-acclaimed stuff to literal light novel junk food.

SailusGebel

I'm just making a joke on the self-inserting part. Somewhere along the lines of "but what about people who don't self-insert?!" in response to "The main reason they consider reading the story is to have an mc who allows them to self-insert."

While giving an example that instead of the self-inserting aspect of it, the reason I pick up a series is if I can find a sexy girl who I can save many pics of or see in fanart that involve my kinks and such.

And it has gotten me into reading/watching a wide spectrum of stuff, from critically-acclaimed stuff to literal light novel junk food.
Oh, okay.

D

Deleted member 45782

You are correct. c: This is all subjective.

GB, is what usually makes male readers comfortable reading a female character? Why? Because she has the mind of a male. *Though I still believe if you put a man in a girl's body, I would love to see them react to their first period.* :blob_happy:
Kinda want to see how they react too. Haha.

One of few reasons why I liked 7 Unfortunate Lifetimes - the one time the guy got put in a girl's body and period feels came and captured how some of it feels to some.