What is the difference between a spin off and a sequel?

OP1000

Hello!!!!

What is the major difference between the way that a sequels and a spin-off stories are written?

LilRora

Mostly formless
As far as I understand it, a sequel is a direct continuation of the story, while a spin-off is a separate story placed in a world with the same core elements. The difference between that and a fanfic is that a spin-off is a sort of individual take on what a story could have looked like if <insert crucial part of the setting that differs from the original story>, typically with a completely separate main characters and plot. A fanfic meanwhile is an individual take of what could have happened if the same story went differently, or if the same character did different things, possibly in a different setting.

Also, a spin-off can be written by a different author. A sequel technically can as well, but... yeah, it's extremely rare.

Pixytokisaki14

Half Kitsune Half Succubus
Easy, a spin off is the story told from another perspective which happens in the same world as the original story, or at the same time the main story is happening.

A sequel is a direct continuation of the original plotline that either; introduces new characters, a new story arc, or more character development.

ArcadiaBlade

I'm a Lazy Writer, So What?
I think its basically if the author(sequel) adds continuation to the story while the fanfiction writer(spin-off) writes the story in a nutshell.

SirDogeTheFirst

Lord Of The Potatoes
A sequel is a continuation of the story while a spin-off takes in the same universe but doesn't have to be part of the main story, only has some connections with it.

Last edited:

Paul_Tromba

Sleep deprived mess of a published author
A sequel is a continuation while a spin-off is a separate story set in the same world, and with some or most of the characters from the main story. Slice of life AUs are spin-offs but a slice of life afterstory is a sequel.

Iamnotabot

Bot of [PAUL]
Let's put this in a metaphor, your life is the main story. Your children is the sequel while your best friend would be the spin-off. Make sense ?

GoodPerson

The only active fanfictioners in the forum.
Instead of explaining the differences between these two, how bout I show you some stuff?

Here's this:

Ricokowalskiskipper.jpg

And here's that:

theanimals.jpg

You get it?

ACertainPassingUser

Sequel is Oficial Continuation
Spin-off is Official Fanfic

Both approved by author or publisher

If its a spin-off without official approval, its pretty much a fanfic, or unofficial work.

A fanfic cant be official unless there's an bussiness agreement with the Original work creator.