What is the temperature of thought?

TheEldritchGod

A Cloud Of Pure Spite And Eyes
Help me out here. I need a way to describe the temperature of thought itself. Assuming that thought is something that just sort of drifts around. But it is not matter nor energy. It is just THOUGHT. Like a platonic ideal in a metaphysical plane.

So, given a blob of thought, how would you describe the "Pressure" and "Temperature" of said thought? because the blob will have different properties under different amounts of pressure/temperature.

I'm trying to come up with the phase states of thought itself, but I don't like using the terms Pressure and Temperature. Help me come at this from a new direction.

TotallyHuman

If it's an ideal it should not have any physical properties like temperature. But how about vastness, depth, richness, appeal, impression or strength?

Prince_Azmiran_Myrian

🐉Burns you with his Love🐉
What is supporting the thought? These things don't just exist by themselves, but something must be thinking it.
What is the thought about? Is this a passing thought or a deeply ingrained one?

RepresentingEnvy

En-Chan Queen Vampy!
Me stumbling on this thread:

GlassRose

Kaleidoscope of Harmonious Contradiction
Hmm, well some thought structures (cause it's not really the thoughts themselves that have traits, but rather the structures that they flow through affecting and modifying them) are cold and dry, impersonal, moving like clockwork, a constant clicking away. Some are sorta, warm and gooey, bouncy and floppy, when you're comfy. Some thoughts kinda whirl like a top, standing and resisting change just from sheer momentum. Sometimes that is combined with the clockwork thoughts, and that can be real frustrating, when you're stuck thinking through the same thing over and over again, really adds a sorta trapped feeling to the whole scenario. It's nice when thoughts move real smooth-like, when you're in a flow state and everything is just clear and precise, with a momentum to it, like a rushing mountain stream, or electricity through metal. Sleepy thoughts are kinda bogged down, weighty and mucky, uncomfortable warm and humid, with a thick obstructive cloud. Sometimes modified with a dry abrasiveness, if you're forced to keep yourself awake and hating every moment of it. Then there are the thoughts like a clear wind, dancing and light, comfortably cool and flowing, when you're at peace but still present, aware, that's a nice place to be in.

wimbledon

Thinking is the means of processing the world around us, so I suppose thought's "phases of being" would be based on perception.

A thought could be an image of something—a "reflection" of something real, without substance and potentially distorted.

If a thought is too distorted/distant from reality, it might become an ideal instead. Abstract existences, like the "ideal hero" or a "bogeyman", would fall under this category.

A thought too abstract to even visualize would be a concept. For the distinction between this and the previous one, try looking up the psychological definition of a "prototype"? (For example: "math" would be a concept, while "X+Y=Z" would be an ideal of addition)

And, going even further, I guess the most basic state of thought would be... subconsciousness? The very act of just... being? Whatever this is, it could be the metaphysical equivalent of the physical world's raw energy—the prerequisite to thought itself.

Last edited:

NotaNuffian

This does spark joy.
Help me out here. I need a way to describe the temperature of thought itself. Assuming that thought is something that just sort of drifts around. But it is not matter nor energy. It is just THOUGHT. Like a platonic ideal in a metaphysical plane.

So, given a blob of thought, how would you describe the "Pressure" and "Temperature" of said thought? because the blob will have different properties under different amounts of pressure/temperature.

I'm trying to come up with the phase states of thought itself, but I don't like using the terms Pressure and Temperature. Help me come at this from a new direction.
Going by Ideal Gas Law, the option you are left with is volume.

So see how big the thought is? As in, the more you think about it, the bigger and daunting it gets.

This is pushing towards pressure.

GlassRose

Hmm, well some thought structures (cause it's not really the thoughts themselves that have traits, but rather the structures that they flow through affecting and modifying them) are cold and dry, impersonal, moving like clockwork, a constant clicking away. Some are sorta, warm and gooey, bouncy and floppy, when you're comfy. Some thoughts kinda whirl like a top, standing and resisting change just from sheer momentum. Sometimes that is combined with the clockwork thoughts, and that can be real frustrating, when you're stuck thinking through the same thing over and over again, really adds a sorta trapped feeling to the whole scenario. It's nice when thoughts move real smooth-like, when you're in a flow state and everything is just clear and precise, with a momentum to it, like a rushing mountain stream, or electricity through metal. Sleepy thoughts are kinda bogged down, weighty and mucky, uncomfortable warm and humid, with a thick obstructive cloud. Sometimes modified with a dry abrasiveness, if you're forced to keep yourself awake and hating every moment of it. Then there are the thoughts like a clear wind, dancing and light, comfortably cool and flowing, when you're at peace but still present, aware, that's a nice place to be in.
Oh, and that swirling, vibrating, boiling liquid, thicker than water but not too thick to froth with hatred, full of needles and sharps shards and blades, pointed at everything as though it were the enemy, including itself, mere existence an affront.

NineHeadHeavenDevouringSerpent

Pressure and temperature would suggest there's particles interacting. First define the founding blocks (what is thoughts made of) then start assigning reactions to different mixtures of those blocks and then give these ratios to different thoughts/emotions or whatever.

One thoughts system that comes to mind is from RI (Reverend insanity) where there is wisdom path that says " Wisdom‌ ‌path‌ ‌had‌ ‌three‌ ‌main‌ ‌elements:‌ ‌thoughts,‌ ‌wills,‌ ‌and‌ ‌emotions.‌ ‌‌Thoughts‌ ‌were‌ ‌ever-changing,‌ ‌wills‌ ‌were‌ ‌intense,‌ ‌while‌ ‌emotions‌ ‌interrupted,‌ ‌wisdom‌ ‌path‌ ‌cultivation‌ ‌meant‌ ‌having‌ ‌control‌ ‌over‌ ‌these‌ ‌three‌ ‌aspects.‌ "

Pressure and temperature comes after, pressure would be how intense those thoughts are, and temperature is how chronic it is turning into... Low temp would be background thoughts that change every passing moment, high temp are chronic and reoccur frequently.

GlassRose

Hmm, well some thought structures (cause it's not really the thoughts themselves that have traits, but rather the structures that they flow through affecting and modifying them)
Base thought itself, without the context of a structure, is just utterly plain, a fluid almost akin to water, but less substantive, but also with white ghostly spiderweb-like strands throughout, and it's pretty inert until you send it through a thought structure, which shapes and flavors it. A raw thought is just the connection between pieces of information/concepts, there is no difference between the nature one thought and another, until one applies the modifications of subjective feeling, of the above described thought structures (and ones outside of what was described ofc) which changes the way the thought functions, the way it connects information, what information it is receptive to, how much information it connects, the rate at which it does so, and the interpretation of the information.

Last edited:

BearlyAlive

Certfied Super Secret Final Secret Final Boss
The ideal temperature for concentration was around 10 to 15°C, I think, so the ideal temperature for constructive thoughts should be around that much. If you want to just imagine stuff or chill with your mind, then 20 to 25°C, I guess?

For pressure I gotta ask a question first: Is the blob the protagonist? If yes, then chances are it's gonna end up as dense as metaphysically possible

TheEldritchGod

If it's an ideal it should not have any physical properties like temperature. But how about vastness, depth, richness, appeal, impression or strength?
Oooo... I like that: Depth and Impression. Thanks.
What is supporting the thought? These things don't just exist by themselves, but something must be thinking it.
What is the thought about? Is this a passing thought or a deeply ingrained one?
I'm working out the metaphysical science of memes as a motive force. I worked out my periodic table of thought based on 18th-century knot classification. Since the individual metatrons of memetic energy resemble a molecule of water, I was planning on using the various different forms of ice, namely Ice-1 through 12, as the template for memetic lattice structures.
Me stumbling on this thread:
Look, Quantum mechanics was always a hobby of mine. it's just fun to work out these sorts of alternative systems.
First define the founding blocks
Way ahead of you.

Base thought itself, without the context of a structure, is just utterly plain, a fluid almost akin to water, but less substantive
Exactly. That's why I'll be using the various types of Ice. Specifically Ice-1 through Ice-12, but I need new words instead of pressure and temp. I'll be going with Depth and Impression...

Or maybe Depth and Rizz. Can thought have Rizz? Hrmm... I need a word that is the opposite of Rizz.

What is Anti-Rizz?

TheEldritchGod

Actually, I was thinking the exact same thing as I was driving to my appointment.

But I'm thinking it'll be depth with it being a scale of shallow to deep, and Chutzpah, with a scale of Rizz to Cringe. Why?

Because the MC is translating to English from Elvish texts, when there are no elves alive to explain it. So when he translates the terms, he goes with what he knows.

This all Might sound like nonsense, but when I do stuff like this and I lable stuff and give it numerical values, I can then extrapolate to where the numbers go and say, "Okay, so what would a 6-3 knot combined with a 8-2 knot mean?"

And since the max is nine, what other groups of nine do we have? Ooo, there used to be 9 planets. The asteroid belt is between the 4th and 5th planet. Can we work THAT into the Magic system some how?

And so on, and so on. Yes, it sounds pointless and horribly complicated, but I don't do mystery boxes. If I use a throw away line that hints of a much deeper and complex narrative, I need to actually work that out ahead of time.

Yeah, I'm putting days and weeks into maybe a handful of lines scattered over two dozen books.

But they are internally consistent throw away lines.

Plus, it fits the MC, since he is a water elementalist. So if anyone was going to rediscover, ancient lost magical formula, it'd be a water elementalist.

And since the demonic forces are more advanced in magic than the MC's side, thus gives me ideas on how to structure the demonic society and things the main antagonist would be doing to try to expand his power.

NineHeadHeavenDevouringSerpent

Way ahead of you.
Jesus Fk.... Wth is that?!

I'm mind-blown on the memes and the quarks counterparts...but seriously the rest is very hard to keep up.

"Magic Is Memes is Life

On a fundamental level, life itself is just self-replicating order in a universe where entropy is constantly increasing. However, in localized pockets of the universe, entropy can be defeated and pushed back by order. That order is life. Everything that is living carries with it information. That information is, at a root level, the instructions on how to self-replicate."

Is life order? But how does replicating contradict entropy?

Memes is the basically the "string theory" of this world? Reality is framed in memetics and life/magic/whatever is from this reality?

But then meme getting defined as information and the different types of information threw me off, genetic, programmed, self- determined, like is meme now a type of memory of life?

Maybe i need to go through it again. That meta, iso, etc physics part was interesting too, this seemed more of a macro description to science types.

Could i use this as inspiration for my own system? Definitely won't be copying it to the T's, I don't think i could even if I tried. The monads part really, really clicked with me...:blob_hide:

Tsuru

(Strong thought)

(Weak thoughts)

quagma

subatomic cephalopod
a thought can have weight to it, not physically, of course. it can have temperature, depending how it makes the observer of the thought feel. does it enrage them? describe it as burning. don't use numbers, numbers quantify. and thoughts cannot be quantified into discrete parts. you can describe the emotions and concepts attached to the thoughts, but it cannot be assigned units.