What is true freedom?

• Able to do whatever you want?

Votes: 9 42.9%
  • Able to NOT do when you don't want?

Votes: 12 57.1%

• Total voters

NotaNuffian

This does spark joy.
What is true freedom to you? The ability to do whatever you want whenever you want to or the ability to NOT do what you don't want to do?

I would say both, but that is wayyy too much freedom.

Gryphon

The One who has the Eyes
You see a guy walking on the street. Commit a little murder. Walk away scot-free. No need for a black market. Just walk up to someone's home, shoot them in the face, and snort a line down their bleeding corpse. No issues there.

True freedom is to commit whatever heinous crime imaginable and not get in trouble for it. If one thing is out of bounds, then its not true freedom. And you know what. I'm okay with not having true freedom if that means there's not rotting corpses everywhere.

TroubleFait

I dont think true freedom exists, we only live in states of relative freedom.

However maybe a difference in mindset can lead to true freedom. If your life leads to fulfilment, and you don't wish for anything you can't have, then in that context you are free.

LilRora

Mostly formless
True freedom would be both, but that's unrealistic. A much more real scenario is the ability to not do most things you don't want to, and to do most of things you want to.

Restrictions help ground people. It's kinda like being in space. Planets and stars and spaceships are restricting, but what the fuck do you do without those, with true freedom?

WeissBlatt

I am become hiatus
This:
birds_with_arms9999999993.jpg

LuoirM

Voidiris' enthusiast feet enjoyer.
Freedom have been robbed from the moment we were born; the "common sense" to not fall over and die, to not eat poop, etc.

ManwX

Im from a Timeline where nuclear war destroyed all
Humanity has never had freedom.. never will have freedom.. to be be free is to be like animals. They are unpredictable do things that don't make sense. Without rules in place or boundaries FREEEDOM is just a burden to deal with..

Paul_Tromba

Sleep deprived mess of a published author
I would say true freedom is freedom from evil. Freedom from the shame, guilt, and pressure of being in an evil world with evil thoughts. To live as I please without the negativities of this world. Free from temptation and free to love to the fullest extent without our bias or pressure.

Last edited:

Voidiris

Gaze into the abyss to truly see?
True freedom is omnipotency, everything else is not true freedom because limits exist.
Isn't option 2 just a more limited version of option 1.
If you can always do anything you can do something not.

Tempokai

Overworked One
My theory on true freedom is that you can do anything until karma is involved and it affects the other people and yourself. Basically until the connections to the concepts and other beings are not formed, the individual has the "true freedom"

TsumiHokiro

Just another chick in the universe
If you're able to do whatever you want, shouldn't you also be able to not do what you not want to? After all, the first option implies in ways you are omnipotent, so it makes little sense for there to be restrictions... is what this bird would say about the way you have actually worded your question first and the way you explained it later makes little sense, for while it tries to restrict the initial meaning, you have still left ways for people to come to the conclusion that the first option could be understood as being outside the system...

Prince_Azmiran_Myrian

🐉Burns you with his Love🐉
If you're able to do whatever you want, shouldn't you also be able to not do what you not want to? After all, the first option implies in ways you are omnipotent, so it makes little sense for there to be restrictions... is what this bird would say about the way you have actually worded your question first and the way you explained it later makes little sense, for while it tries to restrict the initial meaning, you have still left ways for people to come to the conclusion that the first option could be understood as being outside the system...

True freedom is omnipotency, everything else is not true freedom because limits exist.
Isn't option 2 just a more limited version of option 1.
If you can always do anything you can do something not.

Are you familiar with the concept of an addiction? Because that is what the first option feeds and what the second option frees you from.

Voidiris

Gaze into the abyss to truly see?
Are you familiar with the concept of an addiction? Because that is what the first option feeds and what the second option frees you from.
If you truly are addicted you (or rather people that are diagnosed with a addiction disorder) would never choose to stop doing their addiction.
Having a choice does not make free.