What is true freedom?

• Able to do whatever you want?

Votes: 9 42.9%
  • Able to NOT do when you don't want?

Votes: 12 57.1%

• Total voters

TsumiHokiro

Just another chick in the universe
Are you familiar with the concept of an addiction? Because that is what the first option feeds and what the second option frees you from.
This bird begs your pardon, but it fails to clearly see what you mean by an addiction feeding into the first option. Perhaps you fail to see that someone who is able to do whatever they want is also able to do whatever they do not want to do? After all, that is also being able to do whatever they wish to want.

And what do you mean by addiction? This question is not about addiction. If so, they would be the ones eternally bound to addictions: "Wanna stop?" "No!" And so they did not stop forever.

Prince_Azmiran_Myrian

🐉Burns you with his Love🐉
This bird begs your pardon, but it fails to clearly see what you mean by an addiction feeding into the first option. Perhaps you fail to see that someone who is able to do whatever they want is also able to do whatever they do not want to do? After all, that is also being able to do whatever they wish to want.

And what do you mean by addiction? This question is not about addiction. If so, they would be the ones eternally bound to addictions: "Wanna stop?" "No!" And so they did not stop forever.
We aren't talking about the subject on the same level. I think you are approaching the question from a hypothetical perspective, while I am approaching it with a more realistic perspective. Where I am coming from is that when people are given unrestricted freedom to do what they want they end up destroying themselves. In the case of addiction, the second option is essentially restraint or self-control. That is what I think is at the heart of the poll and OP.

TsumiHokiro

We aren't talking about the subject on the same level. I think you are approaching the question from a hypothetical perspective, while I am approaching it with a more realistic perspective. Where I am coming from is that when people are given unrestricted freedom to do what they want they end up destroying themselves. In the case of addiction, the second option is essentially restraint or self-control. That is what I think is at the heart of the poll and OP.
And how is "unrestricted freedom" not "hypothetical"?

TsumiHokiro

Hyperbole, is suppose. But why ask me this question? Do you not understand what I mean when I say this?
I'd lie if I say I do. Your hyperbole was entirely missed by this bird. Also, there's no such thing as "unrestricted freedom" for people just like there is no "omnipotence" nor any other "omni", therefore your case scenario is hypothetical, entirely hyperbolic, not in the least realistic in this chick's mind. As the OP intended to ask, they asked for an approximation of the case, but in their examples gave unrestricted examples, asking the members to ponder the impossible instead… Indeed, why continue all this? *Shrugs*

Prince_Azmiran_Myrian

🐉Burns you with his Love🐉
I'd lie if I say I do. Your hyperbole was entirely missed by this bird. Also, there's no such thing as "unrestricted freedom" for people just like there is no "omnipotence" nor any other "omni", therefore your case scenario is hypothetical, entirely hyperbolic, not in the least realistic in this chick's mind. As the OP intended to ask, they asked for an approximation of the case, but in their examples gave unrestricted examples, asking the members to ponder the impossible instead… Indeed, why continue all this? *Shrugs*
Well, you seemed confused as to why he posed the question the way he did. So I thought I would give you an example.

BearlyAlive

Certfied Super Secret Final Secret Final Boss
Doing what you want is speeding into animal kingdom. Base instincts and so on. So I'll vote the 2nd one. I'm also pretty big on ignoring things or people.

But both forms are just semantics, I guess.

Bartun

Friendly Saurian Neighbor
You see a guy walking on the street. Commit a little murder. Walk away scot-free. No need for a black market. Just walk up to someone's home, shoot them in the face, and snort a line down their bleeding corpse. No issues there.

True freedom is to commit whatever heinous crime imaginable and not get in trouble for it. If one thing is out of bounds, then its not true freedom. And you know what. I'm okay with not having true freedom if that means there's not rotting corpses everywhere.
That's anarchy, not freedom. I think true freedom would be NOT to do what you don't want. But that's just my opinion, I'm just a dinosaur.

doravg

106/4001 (too lazy to count the stories again.)
Freedom is only for the insanely rich, you Summer Child. Unless you have enough money to live somewhere your entire life without running out of money, then freedom is going to be just a dream for you.

As it is a dream for me.

For I have tasted it. For an entire year, I was completely free. My savings and my parents let me have a good and calm life. I could do whatever I wanted.

These days are over.