What Japanese Isekai fictions are the most unique?

SailusGebel

there's this guy who get summoned by a hot queen and goes back and forth from earth to the other world. thats the most unique one i can remember. the rest is go to world >build farm > build village > build hotsprings. slime is pretty much the same as re monster.
I think it was a Chinese novel, something about a gigolo. As for what you mentioned about the rest, Release That Witch isn't like that, but it's Chinese, not Japanese.
also I just remembered this(not kingdom-building):
It's a great manga, and I'm dissapointed that it ended so early. But it's not unique.

MissPaige36

✨Senior Forum Citizen✨
I don't read a lot of kingdom-building isekais, so I can't mention something outstanding. If I had to mention one, it would probably be Genjitsushugi Yuusha no Oukoku Saikenki. There is also Release That Witch, but it's a Chinese novel. Though, the fact that it's Chinese makes it even more unique as there are no usual Chinese tropes, no propaganda or racism, no cultivation, and so on.
Release the witch isn't good though. Well I guess there aren't many good world building LN.

super straight male & the opposite sex of female
well the ogs

IDKWtWrite-San

Projecting 'Unreliable Narrator' Tag
Re:Monster. Idk though i think it's because it is my favorite when it comes to isekai .

There's also Realist Demon King , Mushuko Tensei , Re:Zero , Slime Tensei , Vending Machine , Demon lord with tokens ( i forgor 💀 ) , etc.

BearlyAlive

Certfied Super Secret Final Secret Final Boss
I liked Log Horizon for what it did with it's setting (minus the aliens from the dark side of the moon part). It was more about trying to fit in than tainting the world with the power of modern food and electronics. Even though they most likely will end with spaceships before the end of season 3 and the food part was part of the plot.

But the thing it did right was showing us instead of just telling us "Oh, yeah. I totally forgot we have created a convenient pocket death star yesterday"

Bartun

Friendly Saurian Neighbor
GATE: Thus the JSDF fought there... anyone?

I think it's a pretty damn good isekai
gate_jieitai_kanochi_nite_kaku_tatakaeri_4015.jpg

gate_jieitai_kanochi_nite_kaku_tatakaeri_4015.jpg

SternenklarenRitter

From Far Away, by Kyoko Hikawa. This isekai manga was serialized from 1993~2003, and is a rare shoujo adventure. High schooler Noriko gets transported into a new world where she doesn't know the language, and is greeted by the reliable swordsman and talented windmage, Izark. While she doesn't get any cool powers, a fell prophecy shrouds her arrival. Unknown to Noriko, seers across the land have heard the echoes of her arrival, the arrival of the Awakening, a key to unleashing the power of a raging titan called the sky demon. When he sees her, Izark's power surges with chaotic energies, and yet he cannot bring himself to kill the innocent girl prophesized to turn him into an apocalyptic demon whose wings blot out the sky. Izark and Noriko are hunted across the continent by ambitious emperors and greedy warlocks who see Noriko as a tool to kill Izark's personality and control the primal fury of his demonic soul.

PieCoNsUmEr

The Fisher Dragun
THAT being said, isekai in itself isn't really leaning itself towards uniqueness, because it's a lazy ass plot device aimed to make the mc a surrogate and perhaps also a self insert for the audience. Go beyond isekai if you want unique.
I basically agree with this, though I think one of the reasons people use the isekia trope is because it’s any easy way to get a character that’s easy for you to write into your world where a character like that doesn’t make too much sense.

CL

What was that one called? "Now and Then. Here and There" or something titled like that. I thought that anime was unique.

Here we go, an image with the title in it.
1646638510437.png

UnfortunateHobbyist

Twelve Kingdoms is really good. And The Vision of Escaflowne is isekai, shut up. But only the TV anime is worth it, the movie is an awful retelling!