What kind of tropes/genres/plots/cliches do you usually look for when reading a brand new [web]novel?

hime.quack

Like the name suggests, what do you want to read about, your expectations, when you started a new [web]novel that was put in your favorite genre? I know I'm [still] being a little bit vague in the title, so forgive me if I word something wrong, English isn't my first language so I'm still trying my very best to communicate.

Last edited:

Nahrenne

Pure and Innocent Maiden~
Like the name suggests, what do you want to read about, your expectations, when you started a new [web]novel that was put in your favorite genre? I know I'm being a little bit vague in the title, so forgive me if I word something wrong, English isn't my first language so I'm still trying my very best to communicate.
Hmm, I have a range of genres I tend to go for so the expectation won't be the same for each one.
I guess for BL it would be a substantial amount of actual BL in it, but without drama or overly feminine partners/MC's.
For Fantasy...hmm, something that still seems believable to some extent - in terms of people's reactions/actions towards things. None of that plot armour stuff, or people liking a character just because they're the MC.
For Isekai, I wouldn't want the MC to be OP right from the start. I also wouldn't want the MC to have a harem/pseudo-harem. Same with Fantasy with regards to people's reactions/actions and treatment of the MC.
When thinking about Slice of Life, I like the story to feel like there is progression with every chapter.

Overall, I'd want good plot, pacing, and development of characters that feel real, with a varied range of vocabulary throughout.

Saying all of this, this is just my personal preference.

Not too sure if I answered properly...sorry if I didn't.
>w<

X

Ryudo1701

Well, it's always a matter of what the stories about and personal preferences. Let's take a romance as example. While some like stories about how a pair got together and there further development others are hoping to see a harem with all its conflicts and suvh until they all get into one kinky relationship or the protagonist decides himself for one person (mostly the wrong one *sob*).

Every story has people that are looking to read just that, some more, some less. If you really want to write something the masses will enjoy here at SH its gotta be Smut and/or Girls Love (and make some money with patreon etc. while at it!). Though I would personally recommend to write something you care about, even if there are only a few that will read it.

What should be generally cared about are things like a (relatively) good grammar and things like congruity of the story, characters personalities. While the later are up to the author to care about for the first there are things like grammarly or just the basic helping features in writing programs.

Don't think this post is exactly what you were looking for, but just my humble opinion towards creative writing and writing for money.

SailusGebel

Interesting story? Your question is too vague. The stories are a combination of tropes and other genres. And depending on the tags\tropes\genres\age rating, my expectation would vary tremendously. There are different preferences even in smaller tropes, and while you combine it with all the other ones, with different genres, it would become a mess of an answer.

I think it would be better for you to think of what genres do you want to write, or what kind of tropes\tags you want to add, and then ask what people want to see in the said genres. Otherwise, answers would be just as vague as your question.

If you want to make something like a statistic of what kinds of works are popular here, there were a few threads in the forum about that.

CupcakeNinja

Pervert Supreme
Like the name suggests, what do you want to read about, your expectations, when you started a new [web]novel that was put in your favorite genre? I know I'm being a little bit vague in the title, so forgive me if I word something wrong, English isn't my first language so I'm still trying my very best to communicate.
Harems and face slapping

D

Deleted member 29316

An interesting story would depend on your readers. Each have their own set of expectations, and following them all would only get things complicated and convoluted for you.

Best way is, write what you want to write, and take the risk. It's what we writers always do anyway. (Plus, it's what makes literature interesting.)

Last edited by a moderator:

LordAstrea

Catgirl Addict
Yeah, that's tough. I'll try most in my genre if there is a different premise about it. Like with isekai, I kind of want more than just: "MC gets hit by truck, wakes up in new world and gets stronger." Give me the hints of a bigger conspiracy going on, something unique, a little bite of the overarching plot and I will start giving it a read and see where it goes.
If it's the typical wake up in another world and just fights and leveling for too long then I can't read further, no matter how well it is written. I want a look into the character's emotions and a realistic reaction to the situation. I need some sort of goal that the MC strives for -- more than just "I wanna be the best mage ever" or "I have to defeat the demon king."
It's a little hard to explain with such a broad question, but sometimes broad questions leave room for us to think of the smaller ones and branch out.....YAY!

TLCsDestiny

I think tragedy seems to grip me.
If the feelings are written down and you can feel the book as somewhat real, I probably can't put it down.
Of course this is an not an objective type of question. Everyone is different and they have different opinions and point of views, likes and dislikes.
Anyway, it's tragedy and romance mostly for me...

hime.quack

Well, it's always a matter of what the stories about and personal preferences. Let's take a romance as example. While some like stories about how a pair got together and there further development others are hoping to see a harem with all its conflicts and suvh until they all get into one kinky relationship or the protagonist decides himself for one person (mostly the wrong one *sob*).

Every story has people that are looking to read just that, some more, some less. If you really want to write something the masses will enjoy here at SH its gotta be Smut and/or Girls Love (and make some money with patreon etc. while at it!). Though I would personally recommend to write something you care about, even if there are only a few that will read it.

What should be generally cared about are things like a (relatively) good grammar and things like congruity of the story, characters personalities. While the later are up to the author to care about for the first there are things like grammarly or just the basic helping features in writing programs.

Don't think this post is exactly what you were looking for, but just my humble opinion towards creative writing and writing for money.

Thank you so much for the tip, I will definitely do that in my next title once I'm more familiar with this community! And heck, you guys are so engaging and interactive that I didn't expect a reply on my thread at all.
This is, wow, amazing.

hime.quack

Interesting story? Your question is too vague. The stories are a combination of tropes and other genres. And depending on the tags\tropes\genres\age rating, my expectation would vary tremendously. There are different preferences even in smaller tropes, and while you combine it with all the other ones, with different genres, it would become a mess of an answer.

I think it would be better for you to think of what genres do you want to write, or what kind of tropes\tags you want to add, and then ask what people want to see in the said genres. Otherwise, answers would be just as vague as your question.

If you want to make something like a statistic of what kinds of works are popular here, there were a few threads in the forum about that.
I'm aware of that, I will edit the question. I apologize for the inconvenience.

hime.quack

An interesting story would depend on your readers. Each have their own set of expectations, and following them all would only get things complicated and convoluted for you.

Best way is, write what you want to write, and take the risk. It's what we writer's always do anyway. (Plus, it's what makes literature interesting.)
Mhm! Thank you for the tip!

MasterHiatus

I am back
I've read a lot, and that's why I appreciate underrated with unique trope stories. I also like overrated with good plot flow...
Nothing beats a juicy plot after all.

Moonpearl

The Yuri Empress
I read GL/Girls Love for the most part.

Normally I start by looking for something that's pure GL, with no hetero stuff mixed in. Need to make sure it's real GL too, and not just some disappointing softcore yuribait.
I also look for stories that aren't cis men GB, have a real plot to accompany the romance, and look like they'll treat their characters as more than just a paper thin "lesbian" fantasy.

I tend to avoid sci-fi or contemporary stories. I don't vibe with the aesthetic.

I'm more drawn to stories that focus on adults, stories that have a strong love interest, and human-nonhuman relationships.

However, I'll basically read whatever looks like it will offer a unique story on top of the GL.

i'm into power fantasy stories with a fun curbstomp. it's nice to always see the mc always winning and getting things they wanted. even if they lost, it'll eventually go their favor.

it's better if the focus is more on the curbstomp than the harem. i'm not really into harem stories except if it's a yuri harem with moe characters, or the harem is just a side.

though i tend to avoid romance in general. maybe i can get to it if it's romcom that focus on making fun of romance like gekkan shoujo nozaki kun.

yansusustories

Matchmaker of Handsome Men
To be honest, as long as it is the right genre (bl for me), I don't actually look much at the tags and will just read the story if the blurb/synopsis sounds interesting to me. I only look for specific tags if I am currently in the mood for something specific. That could be anything though. I don't really care much about cliches and actually find it more interesting if they develop in an unexpected direction and break with conventions.