What makes a miracle in story feels earned?

CheertheSecond

The second coming of CheertheDead
You know miracle. The stuff that is unforeseeable, non-sensical to the lore and plot, arbitrary in its existence that it is Deus ex Machina.

But have you found a story where a miracle feels earned?

TotallyHuman

nohappyend.jpeg

ElijahRyne

A Hermit that is NOT that Lazy…
You know miracle. The stuff that is unforeseeable, non-sensical to the lore and plot, arbitrary in its existence that it is Deus ex Machina.

Foreshadowing and plausibility, if the miracle is plausible then it is believable. If the miracle is foreshadowed this too will give it support. Typically I think of Hajime no Ippo as pulling off miracles, although they are never non-sensical, with the exception of that bear fight.

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts

Earning a miracle is a paradox in of itself. You don't earn something that quite literally drops from the sky to serves your benefit. But if you really want one, best you can do is have it feel like they deserved it, i.e: MC did many favours for many side characters and during his time in need said side characters come in clutch to save the day. that's how you best "earn" a miracle.

Num

I feel like the OSP on Deus Ex Machinas explained it the best, but basically it’s earned when the characters push themselves to the brink and despite their best efforts still come up short.Be aware that this a massive oversimplification and I’m putting the full video below

Le_ther

Maybe? Finding a story where plot armor or a story without any plot hole seems impossible for now atleast.

doravg

106/4001 (too lazy to count the stories again.)

How can it be earned if it is a miracle? Shouldn't it be just a lucky break? What, do you think God exists, and he judges about who gets a miracle, and who doesn't?

J_Chemist

As mentioned, when it comes to "miracles", it's very perception based. As the writer, we know what's coming and we have all the materials to explain things. But, to some readers, they'll call it "convenience", "plot armor", or as you mentioned a "miracle". They'll see the sudden change in direction as a poor excuse to rescue the damned. If you fail to setup your escape, of course.

So long as your miracle has proper meaning, fits in the story, and isn't well and truly a bullshit excuse for your MC/Character to survive what is well and truly their death flag- it's not plot armor. Convenient, sure, as timing is certainly everything and mere seconds make a difference in actual combat. A miracle though? No.

Miracles are bullshit. Convenience is timing. And both are things readers hate- but fuck them. Honestly. Nothing goes perfectly. "No plan survives contact with the enemy". And in reality, most life and death scenarios are survived because people perform random bullshit and pull it off. Look to most Soldiers in wars- they fucking wing it and hope for the best. Succeed and you get a medal. Fail and, well, you get a box and some quiet time alone with your thoughts.

If I need something to happen and I've got my MC in a hole, I'm going to write him out of it. It's going to happen unless it's planned for him to die. But, once again, keep it within the rules of your world. Have you foreshadowed the assistance/growth spurt? Is there a side character that you can properly explain for being there? Does your MC have a trick up their sleeve you've been hiding?

No miracle is "earned", but it certainly can be created carefully.

Cipiteca396

More Gasoline 🎶
Miracles aren't earned, they're granted. If it's a reward for hard work or heroic acts, and the alternative is something totally 'unfair', then it's probably fine.

Ilikewaterkusa

You have to take out their families...
I feel like the OSP on Deus Ex Machinas explained it the best, but basically it’s earned when the characters push themselves to the brink and despite their best efforts still come up short.Be aware that this a massive oversimplification and I’m putting the full video below
The cringe YouTubers tbh.
034C6BC0-E262-454B-8FD8-48BCA7436114.jpeg

Syringe

Bluetooth 7 Enabled Holy Blade w/ Red Dot Sight
Storywise, I think it's how its set up that matters the most. Like the events beforehand that elude to said miracle or makes it much more believable. I think that's what separates a miracle into either a hype af moment/believable/earned vs a total lazy cop out.

doravg

106/4001 (too lazy to count the stories again.)
Storywise, I think it's how its set up that matters the most. Like the events beforehand that elude to said miracle or makes it much more believable. I think that's what separates a miracle into either a hype af moment/believable/earned vs a total lazy cop out.
Wait, did you change your name? I could swear that I have seen this book under Ilovewaterkusa's signature.

BearlyAlive

Certfied Super Secret Final Secret Final Boss
Check if it realistically could happen in your world and if the conditions for it to happen are already set up, then if said conditions are feasible for your situation

Syringe

Bluetooth 7 Enabled Holy Blade w/ Red Dot Sight
Wait, did you change your name? I could swear that I have seen this book under Ilovewaterkusa's signature.
No, never changed my name at all. Been like this for as long as I've been inhaling and exhaling O2 from the atmosphere of our planetary mass.

CarburetorThompson

Fuel Atomization Enjoyer
Can’t dues ex machina, need to foreshadow if you’re gonna pull off something like that.