What makes you attracted to Contemporary fiction?

• Thread starter Deleted member 45782
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 45782

As in stories set in modern day that don't exactly follow slice of life (its more plot driven) and not a mystery or romance?

I guess I should clarify. There is no fantasy like superpower or supernatural stuff. Just college and coming of age.

Last edited by a moderator:

BlackKnightX

As in stories set in modern day that don't exactly follow slice of life (its more plot driven) and not a mystery or romance?
I love this story that set in the alternate modern Japan. Though, there are also elements of fantasy in them, but to answer your question; What appeal to me is that I can relate to the setting, since I live in the same or similar world the characters live in after all. That‘s it, plain and simple.

D

Deleted member 45782

same as any other fiction really - immersive characters that lead an engaging plot.
Yeah I agree. Trying to figure out an engaging plot for this story, its one of those ones that I've kept away from writing so long and sorta is standalone and maybe a prequel. The problem is there's no real big wolf/conflict obstacle to overcome so it doesn't feel as much engaging. No real climax.

EternalSunset0

I always preferred "closer to home" settings with fantastical elements.

In anime, my type can't be anymore obvious, but even in Western media, the same holds true. I love Lord of the Rings and all, but I much prefer something like the MCU or X-men. Instead of all those D&D races/settings, I very much enjoy settings set in the near future, something more akin to soft sci-fi. Maybe something more like FF7 or FF8 compared to say, FF6 (although I love 6)

I guess it's partly because in most cases, I'm someone who prefers relatability/comfort zone(?) over hard fantastical elements.

A.P.R.L.

The same as everyone. Fantastical "ancient" settings are nice and all... but I like the fact that I can feel "at home" when reading something modern. Many people might want to live in the past or fantasize about the times gone by, but I'm actually quite comfortable with the way the world is now (except for global warming and the death of the middle class) and would definitely not want to live in the past.

But I like romance! Give me my contemporary romance!

D

Deleted member 45782

The same as everyone. Fantastical "ancient" settings are nice and all... but I like the fact that I can feel "at home" when reading something modern. Many people might want to live in the past or fantasize about the times gone by, but I'm actually quite comfortable with the way the world is now (except for global warming and the death of the middle class) and would definitely not want to live in the past.

But I like romance! Give me my contemporary romance!
I do like reading the contemporary romance at times. Maybe I'll add one in. Helps fill a hole in it if there's not much of a climatic plot.

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
Hard to imagine coming of age without romance.

TunTun

You are missing the point of fiction if you remove romance, mystery, science fiction and fantasy.

In fact, It makes you sound like a moron because you are pretty much asking for literary fiction. Which is well known for having no plot.
Go read "Crime and Punishment"
the crime of sylvestre bonnard
The Importance of Being Earnest,
To Kill a Mockingbird

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 45782

You are missing the point of fiction if you remove romance, mystery, science fiction and fantasy.

In fact, It makes you sound like a moron because you are pretty much asking for literary fiction. Which is well known for having no plot.
Go read "Crime and Punishment"
the crime of sylvestre bonnard
The Importance of Being Earnest,
XD
Well guess its off to literary fiction.
Thought about some romance, but was thinking about breaking it up in the story anyways. Maybe I'll just let it sail instead.