What media inspired your work?

Mystic_Grasshopper

Direct inspirations(You'll see it almost immediately if not eventually.):
Jobless reincarnation(Out of spite, it's definitely something I would consider overhyped but I don't care to die on that hill either way.)
Demon Slayer - The breathing techniques are cool.
Jujutsu Kaisen - The magic system is cool.
Story Cannibalization - I like working with stuff I developed myself already.

Indirect inspirations(Stuff that doesn't really help build the story but is cool to think about when I write.)
Nightmare on Elm Street - dream stuff is cool.
The witch's house - twists of innocence and suffering are cool.
Silent hill - dream-like dialogue and godly atmospheric music is cool.
Blue Lock - Determination to be number one and the training that gets someone there is cool.
Dead Space - industrial and space set horror is cool.
Kingdom Hearts - One sky, one destiny.

Syringe

Bluetooth 7 Enabled Holy Blade w/ Red Dot Sight
The Project Moon games + various other media like Tower of God, that reincarnated into a spider/slime one. Lobotomy Corp, Library of Ruina and Limbus Company have been HUGE inspirations.

DubstheDuke

So many things have inspired my works, but largely Japanese Manga and Light Novels, as well as Korean Webtoons.

A number of series that have inspired my stories:

-Overlord
-Undead Unluck
-Sweet Home
-Spyxfamily
-Re Zero
-Berserk
-Kingdom
-Escape Room
-Pyramid Game
-Dorohedoro
-Usogui
-Kaiji
-Shadow House

ElijahRyne

A Hermit that is NOT that Lazy…
For me, for my series The Heart Dove, I was heavily inspired by mythology and folklore found in the Philippines. But, when I was writing it, I had a fixation on the manga/anime series Vinland Saga. I absolutely adored Thorfinn's character and his development, and I wanted to see what I could do with a character who lost the life they once had and have this goal that they'd die for in order to achieve. Like Thorfinn and Askeladd, I really wanted to explore a family dynamic between two characters who are forced to spend time with one another but absolutely can't stand each other.

Please tell me about the media that helped inspire your works!
Gullnain is inspired by Lovecraft, Junji Ito, Hirohito Araki, the X-men, the Spanish Civil war, as well as a couple smaller things.

Lovecraft was what made me want to make it a detective horror, Ito for general ambiance, Araki for killing off protagonists, X-men because I liked it when I was young, the Spanish Civil war for how the conflict will play out.

AliceShiki

Magical Girl of Love and Justice
Most of the stories I create aren't inspired by anything in particular and more about a multitude of things I have read/watched over the years.

That said, the one story I wrote to completion was inspired by a roleplay I played back in 2017ish. That one was the total outlier though.

doravg

104/4001 (too lazy to count the stories again.)
The writing prompt thread. That said, I do have a project I will start as soon as I finish my current one, which will be about someone who has to eat to get levels, but ended up fat, and now he has a vampire personal trainer, who is addicted to blood with high cholesterol, but warms up to the MC, and does help him start eating his kills in smaller portions, and still getting the XP...
By turning into a soul eating monster!
Much angst ahead, lots of smut, and none of that love your fat nonsense. (It is tempting to think that it will all get better, as soon as you start thinking that you love your extra tire around your stomach, but being a couch potato is not the answer. I have a 3-month workout streak, and have to admit that I have gotten more active because of it.)

sleepykuya

I honestly have no idea. The idea came to me in a dream.
I've realized a lot of good stories seem to come to us in dreams!
Ahem, for a more serious answer, its gotta be
LOTM and AOT

(Mainly Lotm.)
You know, I can see that. I haven't finished LOTM, but it is heavily inspiring! AOT too, for it's storytelling.
So many things have inspired my works, but largely Japanese Manga and Light Novels, as well as Korean Webtoons.

A number of series that have inspired my stories:

-Overlord
-Undead Unluck
-Sweet Home
-Spyxfamily
-Re Zero
-Berserk
-Kingdom
-Escape Room
-Pyramid Game
-Dorohedoro
-Usogui
-Kaiji
-Shadow House
This one really interests me, I know a lot of these titles 👀 If I see Dorohedoro, I have to check it out!

dessert4breakfast

Sage of the Eternal Phoenix has some direct inspiration. First, my playthrough of Dragon Quest 11. I wanted to make a darker version of Dragon Quest. But also Zelda and, weirdly enough, Game of Thrones. It's a sprawling Hero's Journey adventure with tinge of darkness and tragedy. But also with some complex politics in the background.

Alfir

The Inventor of Words
For me, it was The Novel's Extra. It was the first web fiction I read, and it killed me knowing how it ended.

Last edited: