What should I be aware of before making a commission?

CheertheDead

The narcissist and Attention Whore :>
Long story short, I haven't requested a commission before so I want to know what are some of the thing I need to know before contacting the artist.
Do I need to prepare anything beforehand? What should I be mindful of?

Jemini

I've commissioned quite a few cover arts, so I can speak from quite a bit of experience on this one.

First thing, unless you can get a recommendation from someone who has experience with the seller, you are going to need to spend several hundred dollars just testing out artists who will ultimately not produce a product that you find usable.

Second, you need to word your needs EXACTLY to the letter on what you need them to create, with no wiggle room. If you don't, they can deliver something dramatically off from what you're looking for, and you can wind up being stuck having to pay for it anyway. (I had an experience where I had to dispute a commission. I got my money back because the claims handler looked at my very precisely worded request and concluded the seller definitely had not delivered what I requested.)

Speaking of which, 3rd, unless you really trust the seller, you are going to want to use some kind of commissions handling service. These services have a system meant to protect both the buyer and the seller by taking the buyer's money and holding it. After which, the money will only be released to the seller when the buyer states they are satisfied with a delivered product. Meanwhile, the buyer can only get their money back if they raise a dispute and a 3rd party mediator decides the seller did not deliver the product.

Fiverr is the best known among these commissions handling companies, but there are several others out there.

If you like, I can recommend the artist who designed my covers. He uses the CG art style you can see in my signature below, so you can make your decision based on that if you are interested or not.

Agentt

Thighs
claims handler
Wait, that's a thing?
Speaking of which, 3rd, unless you really trust the seller, you are going to want to use some kind of commissions handling service. These services have a system meant to protect both the buyer and the seller by taking the buyer's money and holding it. After which, the money will only be released to the seller when the buyer states they are satisfied with a delivered product. Meanwhile, the buyer can only get their money back if they raise a dispute and a 3rd party mediator decides the seller did not deliver the product.
Oh

DarkeReises

Ultimate Wankmaster, Jizzer of Universes
This advice shall be useful for when I commission art in the future, thank you.
On another and very important note, @Agentt whats the sauce for your pfp i need it

Not_A_Symphony

Picasso 2.0
I thought I might enter this thread as well.
Keep in mind I have never commissioned someone but I am an artist (not trying to self advertise or anything, this is just my honest opinion from within the market).

These are a couple of things you should be aware when commissioning someone:

1st. Research
You see an artist and you love his art, you want to commission him. Don't.
It is important to search the market because sometimes the prettiest option might not be real. Sadly there are artists that trace and just use "copy and paste" art so I would advise you to check different artists, contact them regarding their price ranges and their skills before making a decision straight away.
Some places you might want to search is Fiverr, Behance, Pixiv, Devianart and even Twitch (a lot of artists are streaming their own art these days).

2nd. ALWAYS check the artist's portfolio.
This step is super important when choosing an artist. Why? Because you might like one of their arts but not the all the others. Simultaneously, it is also great to see if the artist's style is the same as you envision the artwork in your mind.

3rd. ALWAYS read or check their T.O.S. (Terms of Service).

If the artist doesn't own a TOS then the it is very complicated when you are trying to win a claim. At the same time, I don't know any trust-worthy artist that doesn't own a TOS in order to protect themselves and the client.
Besides, by checking their TOS you will know the way they usually work. Some artist don't charge for even basic sketches so it is a matter of searching for the right one.

4th. More details the better

When commissioning someone, is important to keep the details to the maximum. You, as the costumer, might have this amazing idea in your head but the artist might not perceive it the same way so if you want a specific color palette, or certain details or poses, you need to explain it clearly (as if you were telling everything to an 6-year-old). This is also the best way to protect yourself.
Simultaneously, if you have doubts about what you want, try talking with the artist about it and reach an agreement between the two.

5th. References
Besides providing with a lot of detail, using and showing reference images helps a lot since it allows the artist to get a better grasp of what you have in your mind.
Great places to take inspiration is Pixiv, DevianArt, Pinterest or even Google Images (even though I personally prefer Pinterest).

6th. Use commission websites
The best way to make sure you are not falling into a scam is through websites like Fiverr. You can easily commission the artist there and your money will have an extra protection.
Of course you can commission the artist directly but it needs someone you either trust or someone that was recommended by a friend. I am saying this because at the end of the day, a lot of artists take the easy path and end up tracing other artworks or even asking for a large ammount for a art that is not even theirs.

7h. Cheaper doesn't mean better
From my experience, people tend to go for cheaper artists and then complain that the art was not as good as they thought it would be. Of course, the same thing can happen to artist who overprice their art on the market.
This to say that, if you really like an artist, don't settle for less even if you need to save a little more. Because, if you end up going for a much cheaper artist whose art is "mediocre" (compared to the one you loved before) then you will never be satisfied with what you will get.

I can't remember anything else but I can give you a couple of heads up in order to avoid getting scammed.
If you are suspicious of an artist, search their artworks on Google and see if all the links belong to the person you are requesting. If it doesn't it is because it is stolen art.
Simultaneously, if you think that the art looks extremely similar to another art you've seen before, then that means it is most likely traced (also considered stealing).

Keep also in mind that communication is key. In my experience, artists can try to "put ideas" in your head in order to gain more €€, thus you should be careful with those types of people. At the same time, if the artist is reasurring and is willing to hear your critics and improve their artwork (in this case the sketches) then stick to that person.

Well, that's about it. Hopefully I was able to help with my input!
Good luck with your artist search and happy holidays (if you celebrate it)!

:blobtaco::blobchristmas:

KiraMinoru

Untitled Generic Member
Have a pose in mind. Find a reference for the pose you want or just draw a stick figure to the best of your ability if you can’t find one.

Gather a reference image for every single character detail/trait you list so there is absolutely no confusion. Because even when you specifically word it out to the finest detail, the artist a lot of the time won’t understand despite your best efforts. The artist you are communicating with, on Fiverr for example, English may not be their first language and they may be using an interpreter/translator. The more people information goes through the more distorted it becomes. Consider time zones as well because they may be on the other side of the planet from you meaning they may be awake when you’re asleep. So expect delays with responses.

Also ensure they allow 1-2 free revisions. They’re likely to get something completely wrong even with all the references in the world.

tiaf

ゞ(シㅇ3ㅇ)っ•♥•Speak fishy, read BL.•♥•
Plan in enough time, artists often do commissions as a side job. Some artists will take several weeks to do an art piece, they may have other commissions in the queue, or may not be open for commissions because all slots are taken.

:blob_hmm: A lot of people seem to use third-party services for commissions. Personally, I follow artists on Twitter. They usually have their commission sheet pinned to their page. You can also search in art discords to find artists open for commissions or look around to compare prices.

Agentt

Thighs
This advice shall be useful for when I commission art in the future, thank you.
On another and very important note, @Agentt whats the sauce for your pfp i need it
It's a random new year card, so unfortunately, no.

But i lament as well, it's very hard to find a tanned waifu in this era.
I believe the last one I saw was the cyclops from the Monster Girls anime

DarkeReises

Ultimate Wankmaster, Jizzer of Universes
It's a random new year card, so unfortunately, no.

But i lament as well, it's very hard to find a tanned waifu in this era.
I believe the last one I saw was the cyclops from the Monster Girls anime
I'm all for dark skin and white/silver hair, dark elves are bae