What would be the lives of people without scarcity?

Prince_Azmiran_Myrian

🐉Burns you with his Love🐉
We already had a couple of technology evolutions. The thought that we simply have to evolve the technology just a little bit more, in my opinion, is wrong. Unless humans change fundamentally and stop being selfish assholes, no amount of technology evolutions can help us.
I said the same thing you did, but in a different way and with a solution.

I'm unsure what zin is, but there's definitely still a sin problem. Jesus needed here as well.

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
Lots more sex, and the grandparents would happily take on most of the childcare because they got bored with sex.

Anon2024

????????? (???/???)
Look at how spoiled rich kids live, that will be everybody.

HungrySheep

I like yuri
Nothing would change because the technology would be gated. Post-scarcity effectively eliminates control, not to mention the fact that humanity's evolution into a space-faring species makes it extremely difficult to manipulate the lives of people with the ability to just go "Hey, I don't like what you're trying to do, so I'm going to get on my ship, take my matter fabricator, and fuck off to a planet far away from you."

Assuming such technology has somehow become widespread and escaped the grasp of the then-global elite, I imagine humanity as a cohesive race would dissolve rather quickly should this alternative future follow the same timeline we are in now. I don't think anyone would waste a single second fucking off with their loved ones and escape this not-even-cyberpunk dystopia.

AryaX

I doubt the wealth would be distributed based on desire... The 1% would just turn into less than 1% and their wealth would become ever more pointlessly ludicrous...

And... If somehow people actually ended up distributing wealth like that... That would imply that something radical must have happened to the human species... To a point where they couldn't be called humans anymore... And predicting the behavior of those "post human" aliens is effectively impossible... because... you know... They're Alien!

Last edited:
Without desire, without need, how can a human live to fulfillment?
Humanity's culture could change, people will do things because they want to rather than need to.
Education can foster curiosity and exploration or innovation of new frontiers.
The primary needs that humans will be feeling might be the fulfilment of interest and entertainment.
Conflict will exist but will major one will be experienced in fiction and make-believe.
Authors, filmmakers, and games designers as an industry will boom but will focus on the creation of new experiences
Apprecations, frame, and prestige will still exist but will start to be linked to the joy you bring to other people.
Many will move to philosophy or religion to fulfil their spiritual needs.

A communal sense of responsibility will develop since everyone will still need to know the basics of history and technology, so to maintain the super high-tech stuff.

That is one possibility.

Corty

Sneaking in, stealing your socks.
I believe we would murderfuck a chaos god into existence by the debauchery that would follow it.

We as a species are problem solvers. If there are no problems to solve, we create one.

Lorelliad

I'm back
Imagine a world where humanity finally solved the problem of resource scarcity.
The advancement of technology allows them to fully harvest energy from massively powerful fusion reactors, and their mass fabricator allows them to create matter from energy. Resource would be allocated based on desire instead of need. Their nano technology allows the manipulation of matter as large as high-rising residential buildings to fixing genetic inconveniences. Their space stations or terraformed colonies dotted the galaxies. How would common people in that world live?

In such a world, the only thing that is scarce would be one's lifespan (or not depending on your head-canon). So how would a life carries out in such environment? Without desire, without need, how can a human live to fulfillment?
I'm no expert on capitalism, but aren't the problems we're facing today all because of us? I've heard we have more than enough food to feed people. The same I believe also applies to water, housing, and anything else necessary to live.

The root of the problem is man's boundless greed.

CheertheSecond

The second coming of CheertheDead
Can we just throw the problem of humans being greedy and withholding resources for themselves out of the discussion?

I am not here trying to understand the reason for humankind's suffering or why today's society isn't working.

If you keep rolling back that issue and problem, you completely ignore the prominent aspect that I truly want to talk about which is a world of truly no resource scarcity, and how humans adjist to such world of no threat and needs.

Can we just throw the problem of humans being greedy and withholding resources for themselves out of the discussion?

I am not here trying to understand the reason for humankind's suffering or why today's society isn't working.

If you keep rolling back that issue and problem, you completely ignore the prominent aspect that I truly want to talk about which is a world of truly no resource scarcity, and how humans adjist to such world of no threat and needs.
I am a good student.

SailusGebel

Bruh.

SsemouyOnan

Bittersweet Cranberry Flavored Euphoria

Bruh, even if we ignore what makes humans humans, our utopian fantasy people already made a solution centuries ago - y'know the thing called "games" and "climbing that mountain just because we can". People who voluntarily choose to live out in the woods already artificially impose scarcity on themselves, so like, I see no reason for our future people to need some grand revelation of wtf to do?

Ergo, I was already answering your main question in my first answer. It's gonna be business as usual.

Also minor nitpick, in a finite universe where entropy exists, scarcity will always be there- cause even your matter magicator is gonna run out of energy to use down the line.

CheertheSecond

The second coming of CheertheDead
Bruh, even if we ignore what makes humans humans, our utopian fantasy people already made a solution centuries ago - y'know the thing called "games" and "climbing that mountain just because we can". People who voluntarily choose to live out in the woods already artificially impose scarcity on themselves, so like, I see no reason for our future people to need some grand revelation of wtf to do?

Ergo, I was already answering your main question in my first answer. It's gonna be business as usual.

Also minor nitpick, in a finite universe where entropy exists, scarcity will always be there- cause even your matter magicator is gonna run out of energy to use down the line.
But I don't see how it will run out in 100 years or 1000 years. For a civilization, that amount of time was long enough to be considered somewhat long term which spans many generations, enough for them to change to a lifestyle of no scarcity.

doravg

133/4001 (finally counted the stories)
Nothing will change.
Unless you have money. Then you can use all these wonders. The thing is, that we live in an era where we have a lot more than, let us say, the people from 100 years ago.

Yet, there are still poor people and world hunger. Greed is the real master of our planet.