What would be the lives of people without scarcity?

CheertheSecond

The second coming of CheertheDead
Imagine a world where humanity finally solved the problem of resource scarcity.
The advancement of technology allows them to fully harvest energy from massively powerful fusion reactors, and their mass fabricator allows them to create matter from energy. Resource would be allocated based on desire instead of need. Their nano technology allows the manipulation of matter as large as high-rising residential buildings to fixing genetic inconveniences. Their space stations or terraformed colonies dotted the galaxies. How would common people in that world live?

In such a world, the only thing that is scarce would be one's lifespan (or not depending on your head-canon). So how would a life carries out in such environment? Without desire, without need, how can a human live to fulfillment?

J_Chemist

Humanity will always find a way to fight over someone for their stuff. Even if we have that stuff and can make that stuff, we always want other people's stuff. Because we don't want them to have stuff. We want them to be jealous that we have more stuff than they do.

And if there isn't a problem of stuff, there will be a problem of location, religion/beliefs, power, etc. For one, someone has to manage the production of stuff. Well, to start, I fucking hate that person. I don't know them and I've never seen their face but they have easy access to stuff and it pisses me off that they do and I don't. But do they really? No. But it's the perception that they do because they manage it.

Plus, I don't like someone else being able to manage my stuff, so I want to manage it myself. Oh? I can't? Well, guess I'll just go killing again until that changes things.

RepresentingEnvy

En-Chan Queen Vampy!
I am not sure. I don't think nothing would change. If you evolve the technology to a certain point, it stands to reason that all of the other technologies will follow. If your thoughts can be transmitted without even needing to speak (just having the intention of sharing your thoughts), it makes a host of things different.

The most different thing would be how we communicate with each other. In every technological age things are different. We just don't see it as much because we are living in it. However, even people's parents cannot understand how their kids are communicating with each other.

SailusGebel

I am not sure. I don't think nothing would change. If you evolve the technology to a certain point, it stands to reason that all of the other technologies will follow. If your thoughts can be transmitted without even needing to speak (just having the intention of sharing your thoughts), it makes a host of things different.

The most different thing would be how we communicate with each other. In every technological age things are different. We just don't see it as much because we are living in it. However, even people's parents cannot understand how their kids are communicating with each other.
We already had a couple of technology evolutions. The thought that we simply have to evolve the technology just a little bit more, in my opinion, is wrong. Unless humans change fundamentally and stop being selfish assholes, no amount of technology evolutions can help us.

RepresentingEnvy

En-Chan Queen Vampy!
We already had a couple of technology evolutions. The thought that we simply have to evolve the technology just a little bit more, in my opinion, is wrong. Unless humans change fundamentally and stop being selfish assholes, no amount of technology evolutions can help us.
It really depends how the technology evolves. If you change medicine, and every disease you can think of is curable (even mental illness) there is no telling what humans would do for fulfillment. The problem is really the ethics of whether it's a good thing. Is it good that humans would become so similar to each other?

If all of the brains were rewired, it would become closer to hive mind. And the one who controls the thoughts of the hive mind would be the inventor of said technology. Because there is no universal morality, it would become for the benefit of humanity. With only some of the morals that are mostly universal. Though at that point we don't need such a thing, for we all share the same thoughts.

SailusGebel

It really depends how the technology evolves. If you change medicine, and every disease you can think of is curable (even mental illness) there is no telling what humans would do for fulfillment. The problem is really the ethics of whether it's a good thing. Is it good that humans would become so similar to each other?

If all of the brains were rewired, it would become closer to hive mind. And the one who controls the thoughts of the hive mind would be the inventor of said technology. Because there is no universal morality, it would become for the benefit of humanity. With only some of the morals that are mostly universal. Though at that point we don't need such a thing, for we all share the same thoughts.
Maybe, but fancy mind control and having no limits on recources is two separate things.

RepresentingEnvy

En-Chan Queen Vampy!
Maybe, but fancy mind control and having no limits on recources is two separate things.
So you are basically saying that humans as they are now, but with the ability to have no scarcity? In that case, humans wouldn't really be different at all. Even billionaires with vast recourses do the same shit as normal people. Human greed is unending.

SailusGebel

So you are basically saying that humans as they are now, but with the ability to have no scarcity? In that case, humans wouldn't really be different at all. Even billionaires with vast recourses do the same shit as normal people. Human greed is unending.
It's not me. It's the thread's title. :sweat_smile: I dunno, maybe I misinterpreted it?

Prince_Azmiran_Myrian

🐉Burns you with his Love🐉
People will always need to know Jesus Christ, there are none that are worthy, all have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God. No technological advancement will change that.

There are also many technologies that are impossible and are pure fantasy, such as the ability to remove scarcity.

SailusGebel

People will always need to know Jesus Christ, there are none that are worthy, all have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God. No technological advancement will change that.

There are also many technologies that are impossible and are pure fantasy, such as the ability to remove scarcity.