What would happen if someone post the Holy Bible?

High-in-the-skys

Awkward member
Just as the title reads...

I mean when I thought of this, I just can't remove my curiosity
Whether someone is just religious, want to read some old books or want to troll, what would happen if someone added a new series like the Bible or maybe Quran or some classics?

I swear this will be my last sh*tpost in meantime (for now)

DubstheDuke

I mean I guess a few things would meed to be answered (No I dont have the amswer, and im too lazy to find out)

1. Would it be copyrighted in some way? If so, then it obviously would be taken down.

2. Is there a rule on SH to keep religion/politics out of stories? If so then it would be taken down.

If no to both above questions, then it would be left up likely.

Jemini

The bible, as well as several other holy texts, were written before the concept of "copyright" even existed. So, at the very least, there would be no copyright infringement issue in most cases.

Something that is worth considering is certain transliterations of the bible. Ones that are written in such a way that it is more than just a translation and has some special revisions of the content in an effort to make it more "relatable." Those content changes would be protected under copyright.

I'm not so sure about how a standard translation would be considered as far as copyright goes. So, I would say if you are going to post a normal translation, either check with a lawyer first or just post the King James version which was written a couple hundred years ago.

NotYourTypicalMan

Exhausted Member
Please keep the religion out of fantasy novel, even the atheists who read church as a bad guy in isekai fantasy novel already bored of it.

anyway I'll repost this from discord

CL

Just as the title reads...

I mean when I thought of this, I just can't remove my curiosity
Whether someone is just religious, want to read some old books or want to troll, what would happen if someone added a new series like the Bible or maybe Quran or some classics?

I swear this will be my last sh*tpost in meantime (for now)
You mean publishing the Bible or whatever here as their own series?

LostLibrarian

The bible, as well as several other holy texts, were written before the concept of "copyright" even existed. So, at the very least, there would be no copyright infringement issue in most cases.
Though interestingly enough, that would only be the case for the original texts and the older versions. Many of the modern translations (which would probably the ones someone would take and post here) are still under copyright.

So it's either posting some version nobody can read or translating the bible yourself... which in itself should get the top spot in trending all the time :D

Tabula_Rasa

Professional NPC
Would it be copyrighted in some way? If so, then it obviously would be taken down.
Fun Fact time!

The Bible itself is not Copyrighted, but many translations are, such as the Phillips, NIV, Moffatt, NKJV, RSV, NRSV, Amplified, and NASB.Wiki HQ has advised that according to US law, a work is automatically in the Public Domain if it is pre-1923.

The following Bible versions are definitelyPublic-domain:-
-BBE (Bible in Basic English)
-KJV (King James Version; also known as Authorized Version)
-WEB (World English Bible)
-NET (The NET Bible )
-ASV (American Standard Bible of 1901)

The following are either Copyrighted, Rights Reserved, or Used with Permission:-
-CEV (Contemporary English Version)
-GNB (Good News Bible)
-ISV (International Standard Version)
-LITV (Literal Translation of the Holy Bible)
-MKJV (Modern King James Version)
Scr: https://www.answers.com/Q/Is_The_Bible_copyrighted

Turns out Translations and original text hold different copyrights

Oops missed your post @LostLibrarian :sweating_profusely::sweating_profusely:

Alkareel

Cuisses de Grenouille
Half the people here that lay eyes on it would burn. lmao

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
I was going to mention that stuff about translations, but enough people already did. Anyway, I just have a Bible excerpt in one of my chapters, and I made sure to use a public domain translation.

TheTrinary

Hi, I'm Stephen
As long as it isn't copyrighted would there really be a problem? Its definitely doable.

Zero300

If the holy bible was posted in pirate language or pig latin, then it might be okay.

D

Deleted member 46002

I do not think that somebody would come to SH and be like
SmartSelect_20210108-220505_Pinterest.jpg

because there would be so much hate against each other as people would try to prove their point in the comments

LostLibrarian

As long as it isn't copyrighted would there really be a problem? Its definitely doable.
Depends on the book. The holy bible has multiple instances where - following the usual of the time - underaged characters where married and had children. Those sexual acts would be a clear violation of the content guidelines and people could report the bible and get it taken down...