What's Your Favorite Character Tropes?

Terok

So I was writing a new chapter and I started thinking about tropes in the author's note.

So, I came here to search up people's opinions and saw a thread on least favortie common tropes and figured, why not see what everyones favorite charcter tropes are.

Mine's the perverted protagonist. But only in the sense of comedy, not really as a defining character trait.

Unless he's Sugisaki Ken from Seitokai no Ichizon. He's pefect.

i like stories when someone get reincarnated with tons of knowledge on that world and use it in the most fun way.

i also like if they're decently smart and knew what they're doing. even if they make mistakes, it's rarely or never fatal.

i prefer if they would eventually get strong, even if they start out weak. i don't like weak protagonists that much.

ludagad

Cold, smart, ambitious and motivated. They usually give these traits to villains tho, lol.

StarEis

Absolutely the crule ones that gives no shit to anyone (shi hao from perfect world is a great example)

HokuouTenrou

In regards to the protagonist (and from the top of my head), Likes Older Women and Type II Anti Hero are my faves. Even more if the protag is basically a Stock Shounen Rival (blue, icy, smart, etc)

Terok

In regards to the protagonist (and from the top of my head), Likes Older Women and Type II Anti Hero are my faves. Even more if the protag is basically a Stock Shounen Rival (blue, icy, smart, etc)
I like how "blue" is a trait lol

ArcadiaBlade

I'm a Lazy Writer, So What?
Yanderes.

Especially types where you train yanderes to be normal.

Also a certain troupe where the MC would have a sect where he trains OP psychopaths and those who disobeys gets beaten with a weapon that heals as it the opponent gets beat everytime.

Terok

Yanderes.

Especially types where you train yanderes to be normal.

Also a certain troupe where the MC would have a sect where he trains OP psychopaths and those who disobeys gets beaten with a weapon that heals as it the opponent gets beat everytime.

Ah yes, Metal Bat-chan is also a perfect goddess

Ral

Hmm . . . I would go For the Genius Bruiser and its inversion the Badass Bookworm. Many novels try to use these tropes, those supposedly intelligent MC, but they seem to fail at the genius part of the genius bruiser or the bookworm part with the badass bookworm.

Last edited:

LuceLucky

God, I have a LOT of tropes and they vary depending on the genre and the characters so I'll just list a few major ones:

• This has alredy been said in the thread but "Grumpy miserable man accidentally becomes a Dad" is one of my favs.
  • Male MCs who are genuinely kind and hard-working, respect women (and others but especially girls and kids) and aren't perverts. See prime examples Deku from My Hero Academia and Tanjiro from Kimetsu no Yaiba. UwU my adorable sons.
  • In complete contrast to this: Female MCs who are clever and ruthless and ambitious and merciless towards their enemies. Thank you, Villainesses of Isekai novels!
  • Wild, dangerous characters who learn to be soft after receivinc care/acceptance/love from another character (preferably the MC).
  • BADASS characters with unique traits and tragic pasts (no, not psychopaths or dark edgelords). I mean characters like: Kakashi from Naruto, Ichigo from Bleach, Levi from AOT, Lelouch from Code Guess, etc. They're so badass you develop muscles and abs just from watching them AND they're interesting and three-dimensional even outside battles. And press F to pay respect for their ruined childhood lmao.

HURGMCGURG

That Guy
I like protagonists who are nearly unflappable. It takes a serious shock to get them to react. Otherwise, they will act entirely normal.

I also like characters who have a taste for the dramatic. Not that they act melodramatic, but that they have a sense of showmanship.

Vaerama

"How sad it is! I shall grow old, and horrible, and dreadful. But this picture will remain always young. It will never be older than this particular day of June.... If it were only the other way! If it were I who was to be always young, and the picture that was to grow old! For that—for that—I would give everything! Yes, there is nothing in the whole world I would not give! I would give my soul for that!"

I like my characters borderline-insane and affected greatly with a fascination for something, anything so significant to the character as to be their core focus, and happiest interest.... even as it destroys them.

Robinson Crusoe and His Sea. Ishmael and His Whale. Laura and Her Carmilla. Jack Sparrow and His Ship. Obviously, Dorian and His Picture. Yuno Gasai and Her Yukiteru.

But I also love it when a character's obsession is the force they must give up to affect a necessary change in their person, whether it ends happily or not, I adore the effect of denying the wrongness of one's greatest attraction until one cannot any longer ignore it, and must face it at any cost... a destruction and rejection upon the self for the sake of all the other values a person holds dear, whether forgotten or newfound!

Scrooge and His Money. Arthur and His Drinking. Peter and His Company (Hook).

The journey matters... and there's no journey for a character to go through that's anywhere near so far a distance as that of one's own soul. I love it. The misery, the thrill inherent, the dreadful psychological torments... "Lord knows, I'm stuck on it all!"

AliceShiki

Magical Girl of Love and Justice
I like the whole trope of dying, reviving an Otome Game world and trying to stop the destruction flags from happening~

AliceShiki

It was so funny-sad to read this. "Male character who isn't a piece of shit and instead just has the basic sense of decency you expect from any person" as a "trope". :ROFLMAO::blob_teary:
I agree that it's very sad to read this as a trope... T.T

D

Deleted member 22388

The character themselves leads an army full of brave and hard-knuckled heart.
"Strong enemy that can one-shot us?"
Then we will die a glory death without worrying being sliced and cut.
As long as we damage that person until he suffers more then us.
Thou may be powerful but us are the old wise that will bring neutral to this world.

They are the side character; tropes are braven hero, wise and takes care of the little one.
"It is not seen to be enough, but it is already to satisfy what I want to say-"
"...Or so gugugu."

AliceShiki

Oh, right, I forgot about this one, it has to be one of my favorites~