When to do a rewrite

MintiLime

Unofficial Class President, Author
Hello all!

I’ve been telling myself that I will keep track of all the comments and such and THEN do a rewrite, but should I just do a rewrite like, now? Is it better the fix the problems as they crop up? Do you gain or lose readers this way? Do readers actually read rewrites or completed stories?

Also I was switching between 3rd person and 1st person so if there any of y’all who read my novel, I released a poll as a chapter, so let me know what you like

TheEldritchGod

A Cloud Of Pure Spite And Eyes
Honestly? Never compromise your vision. Make a new story before compromising an old one.
Unless you are selling out for buckets of cash. Then compromise. Become like a willow tree in a hurricane and bend it like Beckham. If you are getting paid, have all the backbone of a man with a fookin' slinky for a spine.

MintiLime

Honestly? Never compromise your vision. Make a new story before compromising an old one.
Unless you are selling out for buckets of cash. Then compromise. Become like a willow tree in a hurricane and bend it like Beckham. If you are getting paid, have all the backbone of a man with a fookin' slinky for a spine.
Thank you for the words! Overall? I want to improve my writing but doubting if it’s good enough so far to keep going without a rewrite. Been a tough day at work tho, so I may need to just step back for a minute.

…if anyone would like to sponsor me, I will write in, you know, like a ten page monologue for the game of the deities, Raid Shadow Legend?

BearlyAlive

Certfied Super Secret Final Secret Final Boss
If you aren't sure about where your story or worldbuilding is going or if it even makes sense, look into developmental editing or plotting (not the sinister kind). There are enough people here that might give you an idea or two where your plans are going haywire.

If you sold your soul and write purely for profit, hire an editor and do the same as above, but professionally.

Otherwise go ham and keep all the good stuff for the Rewrite edition

Tyranomaster

Guy who writes stuff
I haven't gotten to my rewrite phase yet. My advice is to do minor fixes as they crop up first. I.E. small rewordings, spelling corrections, and grammar errors.

Then, if you feel like rewriting, wait until your story is finished. The reason being that you might have even more corrections or fixes to plot that occur later in the story. If you rewrite now, you're committing to doing another rewrite later as well.

Paul_Tromba

Sleep deprived mess of a published author
I waited until I had finished my series before considering a rewrite. It takes a while and although editing and rewriting it as you go is good, a full rewrite/edit would be very time-consuming. It took me a full year to rewrite and edit 120,000 words so consider the time frame and how long you want to go without continuing the story.

The alternative is to go back and once a day reread a chapter and just spend an hour or two editing or rewriting it without taking too much time from your writing. It'll get done eventually.

UYScuti

Helium Fuser
Usually, people only do rewrites if they fucked something up or they've finished their first draft. Don’t worry about a rewrite if you've just fucked something up. Go back into your earlier chapters and change what you need to. If someone calls you out, which they probably won’t, point out how they’re wrong by showing them your secret edits.

Everyone will admire your skills in making everything come together, and you’ll be able to shame someone by publicly letting people know that the person skims.

This only applies to stories people read, though.

Kalliel

Grind, Future, A Beautiful Star
I was sleepwriting when my first chapter happened.
So it was hot garbage, and still is.
But I've rewritten it, just to lessen the cringe as much as possible.
You grow as you write, and the old stuff might not meet your standard anymore.
So if you feel like you need to rewrite, just do it.
Don't do it if the comments tell you to though, it's your story, not their.

Temple

I'm assuming this is a rewrite because you've grown as a writer and want to improve your past writing? In your case, it might be better to rewrite because you only have 24 readers. It's like starting fresh, another chance to get seen on the front page.

John_Owl

The one with fluffy wings
Take this with a grain of salt, as I'm very much in your boat, but I'd say when you've noticed a drastic change in your writing ability. As it stands, I am planning a rewrite of my first story, to begin releasing on its anniversary date (on the first chapters 1 year anniversary, I will remove the old novel and begin uploading the rewrite. Remove the old because I want to completely revamp it from the ground up to match my current style as opposed to my old roughness.)

Note: sorry for grammar or punctuation issues. Writing this on mobile.

TheEldritchGod

A Cloud Of Pure Spite And Eyes
Thank you for the words! Overall? I want to improve my writing but doubting if it’s good enough so far to keep going without a rewrite. Been a tough day at work tho, so I may need to just step back for a minute.
Look, yer new, right? Then you are improving. So finish the entire story, then go back to te beginning and do a "rewrite".

By rewrite I mean, read the final chapter, read the first, see the differences in style, then update the story, starting at the beginning. Look over a chapter a day.

Here. Let me copy paste my general advice file.

While Reading, Put this on a loop:

How long to write a chapter?

I spend up to twelve hours thinking about a chapter, then slam it out in an hour. There are many steps to writing. Planning is part of writing.

Editing is the part that takes the most time. Learn how to be your own editor.

------------------------------------------------------

HOW TO BE YOUR OWN EDITOR

1. Write the chapter yourself.

2. Run it through a simple spell checker like Word.

3. Go to ChatGPT and type "Rephrase The Following Paragraph" Take one paragraph of at least 3 sentences and save it in a separate file. Feed that paragraph to ChatGPT. Copy the resulting paragraph to a separate file. Make a hybrid paragraph of the best of both.

4. Repeat step 3 until you have done every paragraph that you feel could stand being "spiced up"

5. Turn on Grammerly. Just use the spell-checking feature. Screw the suggestions.

6. Go through your chapter to search for the following words:
Suddenly
Very/really
Started
Just
Somewhat/slightly
Somehow
Seem(s)
Definitely
If you see any of these words, reconsider them. Usually, these words are misused. If someone is speaking, no problem, but outside of conversation, they usually are a bad sign.

7. If any sections don't feel right use the following at random:
prowritingaid.com/rephrase
sudowrite.com/app
writesonic.com/
But they do not allow unlimited use, so just use these occasionally to get a different perspective on how you phrased something.

8. Put it through Text Edit and turn on the text-to-speech feature. Listen to the chapter and fix it as it reads it out loud to you.

9. Go through and check for words that you keep using over and over. Using the same word too often will stand out. Try to have at least three different ways of referring to any main character. Avoid using the same word more than once in any given paragraph, or at least no more than once a page (pronouns/conjunctions not included, obviously). The English language is incredibly diverse, so the more you force yourself to get creative using alternatives, the more interesting your work is.

10. Turn on Grammerly one last time for spell-checking.

-----------------

START AT THE END.

You need to know what the ending of a plotline is, At least the final gut punch you plan for the reader to have. You can have an epilogue afterward, but you need that final scene in your head at least. Just writing because "I have a cool idea." Doesn't work. You need to know the ending.

Most books are three acts.

You need a plot that starts then finishes in Act/Act, in order of importance:
1/3
1/1
3/3
2/2
1/2
2/3

What I mean is you introduce a plot in Act 1, then it ends in Act 3, followed by Act 1 ends in Act 1.

The overall plot, that goes from plot 1 to plot 3 is the most important, but 1/1 is the second most important because it KEEPS THE READER READING.

That means, before you start the story, you need to have 6 endings. I don't care how much you write it out, but you need 6 plots and 6 plot endings. ANYTHING ELSE IS BOTH UNNEEDED AND DANGEROUS. You also need to know how the plot STARTS. So you need 6 beginnings and 6 endings. However, if you work those out ahead of time, everything else is just filler to get the story to move from one key scene to the next.

For example:

1/3: Joe is summoned and he had to defeat the demon lord
1/1: Joe is dropped into a strange situation and needs to adjust.
3/3: Joe will have a setback he needs to overcome
2/2: Joe will go on a training montage.
1/2: Joe will encounter the miniboss and have to overcome them.
2/3: Joe will have a romance subplot where he meets a girl and they fall in love by the end.

So three things begin in the first act, 2 start in the second, 1 in the last.
There is one conclusion in the first, 2 in the second, then 3 in the ending
(and if you do it well, it all comes together in one scene.)

It's simple, it's formulaic, IT WORKS.

If you do this, you won't "write in the wrong direction" because you know where the ending is. Once you work out those 6 starts and 6 ends, everything else in the book is just connective tissue.

--------------------

If you are having problems making a character Here's my cheat sheet

Name
Race
Apparent Age
Actual Age
Sex
Weight
Eye Color
Hair Color
Parents (How many, Sex, general Relations)
Place of birth

Current mental Age group: (Childhood/teen Age/Young Adult/Older Adult/Elder)
Where PC/NPC spent their (Childhood/teen Age/Young Adult/Older Adult/Elder)
Note Worthy Events of (Childhood/teen Age/Young Adult/Older Adult/Elder)
Current Socio-Economic Standing (Poor/Lower Class/Middle Class/Upper Class/SuperRich)

Stats: 1-5
Physical: Strength/Dexterity/Stamina
Social: Charisma/Manipulation/Appearance
Mental: Intelligence/Wisdom/Perception

Morality (scale of 1-5)
Good-Evil (Objective Morality)
Right-Wrong (Subjective Morality)
Legal-Crime (Social Morality)
Positive-Negative (Outcome Morality)

I go with the 1-5 scale with occasionally 0 or 5+

Nobody lives in a vacuum. However, everyone rhymes. get in your head the above groups and some stereotypical traits for each.

A guy whose morality is Objective 1, Subjective 1, Social 5, Outcome 1 is the kind of guy who believes in "Good" Outside himself and seeks to internalize it. he thinks society is corrupt, and willing to commit crimes if the outcome is positive.

ie Batman.

Charisma is personality, Manipulation is how controlling you can be, and appearance is how you look.

So your typical otome Villainess is a Chr 1, Manip 4, App 4.

When you get good at it, you can "shorthand" a character with ease

--------------------------

How to self-motivate:

Tell yourself, "NO ONE LOVES YOU! YOU ARE A WASTE OF SKIN! YOU ARE ONLY WORTH SOMETHING WHEN YOU DO SOMETHING! IF YOU AREN'T DOING SOMETHING, WHAT GOOD ARE YOU? EVERY MOMENT YOU WASTE NOT DOING SOMETHING PRODUCTIVE, A BABY KITTEN DIES! IF YOU ONLY TRIED HARDER, THERE WOULD BE LESS DEAD LOVED ONES IN YOUR LIFE! EVERYONE YOU EVER LOVED THAT DIED IS YOUR FAULT BECAUSE YOU DIDN'T WORK HARD ENOUGH!"

Then I get back to writing.

---------------------------

On units of measurement:

If you wanna use metrics in your story, go ahead. It's your story
But I always use "We put a flag on the fuckin' moon" units.

--------------------------

On How Much You Write:

Brevity is the soul of wit.

Something pounded into my head was, "WHAT CAN YOU CUT OUT OF YOUR STORY?"

Every word you include is a fraction of a second to read. Every fraction adds up. Time is the currency of exchange between an author and a reader. I am asking you for time. I am asking you to SPEND TIME ON ME. So, I go through and I pare it down. Carefully and deliberately ask myself, "What Does This Bring To The Story? Is it redundant? Have I already told this to the reader? Does repeating it serve a purpose? If not, how do I cut it? If it is new, then how can I make it serve a second purpose? Is there a way to have this information have a second meaning? A third meaning? Can I combine it with something else? Will It change when the reader knows the ending and will it be BETTER? Is there a better plot point I can use instead? Can I subvert their expectations and give them something BETTER than they expected and if so, how much can I keep hidden from the reader so they truly can't see it coming, yet will think it was obvious in retrospect?"

Smaller. Tighter. More concentrated. BIG is the enemy. Flowery fluffy filler is a sign of weakness. Hit him hard, let the reader breathe, then hit him again, but short rabbit punches.

I know that quality is what matters, but in the back of my head, I have this Big Is Evil, hang-up. 500k Well Written Words is fine. the 500k isn't the problem.

Except it's a problem.

Part of me wonders, like it or not, is it too much? Then I say, "If it's quality, then it doesn't matter. You can have large quantities of quality. It does happen."

Then I say, "No it doesn't. You arrogant FOOL!"

MintiLime

Look, yer new, right? Then you are improving. So finish the entire story, then go back to te beginning and do a "rewrite".

By rewrite I mean, read the final chapter, read the first, see the differences in style, then update the story, starting at the beginning. Look over a chapter a day.

Here. Let me copy paste my general advice file.
Thank you so much!

Ai-chan

Queen of Yuri Devourer of Traps
When the story is complete. If you keep going back and second guessing yourself, you will never be done. Keep writing to the end, and then go back and address the issues.

PrinceDinero

Sorry for the late response

As for when you should rewrite you should always rewrite and never stop rewriting. This is because when you write something down it becomes a reflection of the person that you were at that specific moment in time. As human beings we are always changing, in fact everyday we are a new person. That is why you should always rewrite so that your writing can reflect the person you are now rather than the person you were, because the snake that cannot shed its skin dies and so too does the minds of people.

Also if your story doesn't have say gex please delete it and start over with more say gex.

Hoped this helped please let me know if you have any questions and I'll answer them sometime during my (short) lifetime

Sincerely, Princedinero

RedHunter2296

Competitive Professional In Being Ignored
I have only done two rewrites of my 240+ chapters of my novel.

And it was only because many of my readers complained that in both cases the characters were not behaving like themselves, and I actually agreed, but the content and events were the same, the only thing that changed was the way the characters acted in the same situation.

J_Chemist

I did a rewrite when I realized the story I was writing was not the story I started with. I hadn't planned very well and honestly never expected to get as far as I did (the fact that I still put out chapters is kind of wild, I think). I also got burn out, so rather than write new chapters I took a step back and decided to refine what I had already written.

Essentially, I'd reached a point where winging it wasn't going to cut it. My follower base was expanding and I was coming up on the potential of a closure of the arc. Which meant plot holes would need to be closed and people would be watching.

I adjusted details and fixed a lot of issues to set up the future of the novel. Ended up going through every chapter. Some were entirely rewritten, others got a few updates or grammar revisions. It took a few months, but I think it was worth it.

If you decide to do a rewrite, decide on how indepth you want to go. If you're completely changing the story premise and major details, you may just want to start over. If you're doing minor adjustments, adding additional details, and refining your grammar, then make sure you don't change the story more than necessary. If you do, notify your readers.

Alfir

The Inventor of Words
When you get the sickness called writer's block, you do a re-write while proofreading chapter by chapter. But you don't reset them, you just rewrite them in the already-published work,
When you get too low a score, that is when you reset, rewrite, and make it right once again.
A rare case however is when you get grumpy, feel like the world is shit, and you want to burn the world... By that time, you will then do a rewrite in order to curb your darker impulses. It happened to me once. I ended up re-writing about an elf iseka tech uplifti and turned it into a story about a xenophobic genocidal elf with no remorse for his methods and went and did it... Slain a king, massacred a bunch of humans and nobles, took humans hostage and more, abused human babies, coerced a good merchant, turned an aphrodisiac into a super weapon and strategic resource, killed a bunch of humans again, used the refugees of his acts of war as cannon fodder, and recently, he involved himself with child labor... Trust me, the darker impulses did go away... but beware, you might learn things about yourself you weren't ready for.
Mwahahahahahaha~!

Last edited:

doravg

104/4001 (too lazy to count the stories again.)
This will probably be an unpopular opinion, but here it goes:
Never.
Finish the book, improve along the way, but for the love of everything that is holy don't rewrite. Rewriting will bore you to tears because you already know what happened in the book. Now it can't take you on a journey anymore.
Save a book, finish the next.
That is my motto.