When...

J_Chemist

I post here only for the fact that I regularly visit the forums. SH isn't my target audience and I actually don't really expect much from here, but for the few that pop up- I post for them. Though, I really haven't posted my second novel chapters here yet. Still irks me that skimming bots are rampant here and having to put out Pre-Scalp Chapters is obnoxious. So, in terms of views, I get maybe one or two per chapter if I release it and it honestly doesn't bother me.

When I post on RR though, it's actually kind of cool. I post my chapter and typically an hour or two later I see at least 20 views. My regulars over there are very keen for updates and it reflects. I try to post at a good time in the mid-morning/early afternoon with the idea that you can read the new chapter while your day is warming up and you can enjoy it with a cup of coffee/tea or with your breakfast.

It took a while to get there, though. When I first started posting, it took at least a month before my book gained traction. And then it took even longer. But when I finished the Write-A-Thon over there and my book for more visibility, the views started to trickle in. My consistency and transparency with my Readers helped build the trust that I'd continue to release the story regularly. It's been a steady climb from there.

I post here only for the fact that I regularly visit the forums. SH isn't my target audience and I actually don't really expect much from here, but for the few that pop up- I post for them. Though, I really haven't posted my second novel chapters here yet. Still irks me that skimming bots are rampant here and having to put out Pre-Scalp Chapters is obnoxious. So, in terms of views, I get maybe one or two per chapter if I release it and it honestly doesn't bother me.

When I post on RR though, it's actually kind of cool. I post my chapter and typically an hour or two later I see at least 20 views. My regulars over there are very keen for updates and it reflects. I try to post at a good time in the mid-morning/early afternoon with the idea that you can read the new chapter while your day is warming up and you can enjoy it with a cup of coffee/tea or with your breakfast.

It took a while to get there, though. When I first started posting, it took at least a month before my book gained traction. And then it took even longer. But when I finished the Write-A-Thon over there and my book for more visibility, the views started to trickle in. My consistency and transparency with my Readers helped build the trust that I'd continue to release the story regularly. It's been a steady climb from there.
When you have no idea what skimming bot and pre-scalp chapter means...

J_Chemist

When you have no idea what skimming bot and pre-scalp chapter means...
There are skimming/scalping bots who skim ScribbleHub and steal content, reposting content to other websites. Novel35 is an example.

A Pre-Scalp chapter is a measure used to prevent the theft. You post a placeholder up that the bot steals, then go back and edit the placeholder with the actual chapter a day or two later.

S.nuffles

At this point just go mindless. DON'T LOOK AT DA NUMBERS GO MONKEY MODE

I actually like cover half my screen so I don't look at the chapter views on accident.

doravg

109/4001 (bigot towards homophobs)
When you cycle your chapter, and it really becomes more fleshed out!

doravg

When you have a single reader, and you expect that this wonderful person will read all of your books...
Plot twist, the reader is a lurker...
Double plot twist, my books are BL...
Triple plot twist... I ran out of plot twists, but I really wanted to write a triple plot twist XD

doravg

When you finish a book, and already have the prompt for the next one...
Ah, perfection!

doravg

When your honesty leaves a bitter aftertaste in your mouth, because you really enjoyed the first arc of a story, but what came next makes you uneasy. So, you quietly leave a 5-star rating and drop the story. Hoping you won't wake up to a 1-star rating bombing come morning...
But my books here are complete, so no danger of me dropping one of them now. I am ready to pay for my opinion. Who knows? Maybe I can rival @K5Rakitan's rating if I keep going like this.

TotallyHuman

When she walks, she's like a samba
That swings so cool and sways so gentle
That when she passes, each one she passes
Goes "Ah~"
Oh, but I watch her so sadly
How can I tell her I love her
Yes, I would give my heart gladly
But each day as she walks to the sea
She looks straight ahead, not at me
When I was seventeen
It was a very good year
It was a very good year for small town girls
And soft summer nights
We'd hide from the lights
On the village green
When I was seventeen...
When I was twenty one
It was a very good year
It was a very good year for city girls
Who lived up the stairs
With all that perfumed hair
And it came undone
When I was twenty one...
When I was thirty five
It was a very good year
It was a very good year for blue-blooded girls
Of independent means
We'd ride in limousines
Their chauffers would drive
When I was thirty five...

TheMonotonePuppet

A Writer With Enthusiasm & A Jester of Christmas!
When I was seventeen
It was a very good year
It was a very good year for small town girls
And soft summer nights
We'd hide from the lights
On the village green
When I was seventeen...
When I was twenty one
It was a very good year
It was a very good year for city girls
Who lived up the stairs
With all that perfumed hair
And it came undone
When I was twenty one...
When I was thirty five
It was a very good year
It was a very good year for blue-blooded girls
Of independent means
We'd ride in limousines
Their chauffers would drive
When I was thirty five...
FRANK SINATRA!!!

doravg

When you start off with drama and doom and gloom, but one of the characters doesn't let you keep the dark pace, and you end up with a romcom...

John_Owl

The one with fluffy wings

i've had the opposite experience. i post on here and Wattpad (RR rejected me. smut writers aren't welcomed there so much), and i get maybe 2-3 views and 1 comment on WP. but here on SH, i get easily 30-40 regular readers and usually 2-3 comments per chapter. i'm still small, but i'm slowly growing. the issue with smut isn't a lack of attention (even the worst stories can get traction), it's reader followthrough. commenting and sharing, as most seem to be less than willing to show others what they read. which is all well and good.

georgelee5786

2024 Shovel Duel Champion
When you break your hand and learn valuable lessons about pain to implement into writing

doravg

When your single relationship romcom turns into a BL Harem romcom...
But you are already planning that not all the harem members will be gunning for the cute Healer. Some will want the mouthy skeleton, some will want the savvy dwarf, others will want the paradise bird shifter. I just hope I don't forget who wants who...
Not that they all won't end up in an offscreen orgy. @K5Rakitan Am I doing the Polygamy thing right, Sensei?

RepresentingEnvy

En-Chan Queen Vampy!
When your single relationship romcom turns into a BL Harem romcom...
But you are already planning that not all the harem members will be gunning for the cute Healer. Some will want the mouthy skeleton, some will want the savvy dwarf, others will want the paradise bird shifter. I just hope I don't forget who wants who...
Not that they all won't end up in an offscreen orgy. @K5Rakitan Am I doing the Polygamy thing right, Sensei?
The mouthy skeleton will rattle your bones. That guy tickles funny bones everywhere. He doesn't even give head. He gives skull. He sends shivers into the spines of BL protagonists.

Okay, that is enough.

doravg

The mouthy skeleton will rattle your bones. That guy tickles funny bones everywhere. He doesn't even give head. He gives skull. He sends shivers into the spines of BL protagonists.

Okay, that is enough.
He is a challenge for my Fantasy...
As it turns out, there is something wrong with me because I already have ideas. He can take off his bones, which makes things easier. On the other hand, his bones are very sharp. Haven't found a way around that yet, but BL always finds a way.
BL... not even once.

RepresentingEnvy

En-Chan Queen Vampy!
He is a challenge for my Fantasy...
As it turns out, there is something wrong with me because I already have ideas. He can take off his bones, which makes things easier. On the other hand, his bones are very sharp. Haven't found a way around that yet, but BL always finds a way.
BL... not even once.
I believe in you! I don't really know how I would write that either. Just thinking about it seems painful.