Which Tags are red flags?

quagma

subatomic cephalopod
Over the past two years, I've found that I generally dislike reading stories that incorporate video game mechanics in a "leveling system". I can understand their appeal, but there's a more fundamental issue I have with RPG mechanics: It's an idea that somewhat discourages discipline when it comes to a long-term commitment, when there are no immediate tangible benefits. I know it's rather popular, and I don't look to change that. But I will rarely, if ever, read any myself, nor do I ever plan to write one myself.

The genderbender tag is one that I tend to look at with both optimism and skepticism, and as a result I've been drafting up plans to write one. I have not been particularly satisfied with the takes and interpretations of that many genderbender stories in the past; most of that is the protagonist or the genderbent character getting accustomed to their new bodies unusually quickly.

Smut and similarly associated tags, I don't read. If I wanted smut, there are different places I go to for that.
the "getting accustomed unusually quickly" part is something i'm actively trying to avoid writing. i want the character to learn how to adjust. preferably without them even realizing it.

You all are unacceptable.

I shall declare a war between us.
i avoid most of the fan fics because, shocker, i'm not really interested in seeing properties i don't really care about or know nothing of being reinterpreted. (said the person who contributed to a fan fic of the forums)

when it comes to lit rpg, sure they're easy to write and fill word count. doesn't mean i'll be interested though. i've seen some creative uses of the systems, turning them into their own characters or unique forms of systems, but ultimately they boil down to "stats, use skill, get new skill". they're basically cultivation stories. the trick is getting creative with it, not just use it as a cheat for everything. they're handy in that they often come with identify skills, which allows little lore dumps of flavor text, but i'm more interested in the much more difficult to write systemless fantasy stories. at least the sci-fi ones have a good justification for having all-knowing screens.

i don't need to clarify re: harems. if they work more like polycules where each one is interested in the others, that's way cooler than having their object of attraction be the single person who's needs are all taken care of by their harem, their only saving grace being an OP cheat of some kind. blatantly wish fulfillment.

a lot of these tags, like the nobles or OP protag, are ones i can't really identify myself with through the reader. oh, this princess is sad and made a mess? oh gee, better get the servants to clean that up. wow, how relatable.

CSDestroyer

the "getting accustomed unusually quickly" part is something i'm actively trying to avoid writing. i want the character to learn how to adjust. preferably without them even realizing it.
Lovely.

Myself, I'm writing one where the main character takes it in stride, but is ultimately never really able to fully adjust.
i avoid most of the fan fics because, shocker, i'm not really interested in seeing properties i don't really care about or know nothing of being reinterpreted. (said the person who contributed to a fan fic of the forums)
Fanfiction can be great, some of the best stories I've read were fanfiction. But, in general, it's one of those pieces of media that someone seeks out directly rather than run into. Since it's built on existing media (and the assumption that the reader is already aware of the source material), that's a strike against anyone who's found the story for the first time.

Some fanfiction settings are exceptions; Kantai Collection fics on Spacebattles are great, since there's so little established about the setting in the first place that the author is forced to build the world themselves. But with others, it'd be unreasonable to expect the author to have to re-explain the entire story for readers who don't know the source material.

2wordsperminute

You all are unacceptable.

I shall declare a war between us.
Hear me out: I don't dislike fanfiction as a whole. I do like some fan projects that try to add to the story in a meaningful way, like undertale yellow, or something that is a fan's genuine attempt to make a good story in the same universe like pokemon uranium. But finding good fanfiction is more trouble than it's worth.

GoodPerson

The only active fanfictioners in the forum.
Getting the chars to adapt? I'll always adore this idea.
i avoid most of the fan fics because, shocker, i'm not really interested in seeing properties i don't really care about or know nothing of being reinterpreted.
Ahh... So you want Halo: Infinite xposition?
(said the person who contributed to a fan fic of the forums)
oh.jpg

when it comes to lit rpg, sure they're easy to write and fill word count. doesn't mean i'll be interested though. i've seen some creative uses of the systems, turning them into their own characters or unique forms of systems, but ultimately they boil down to "stats, use skill, get new skill". they're basically cultivation stories. the trick is getting creative with it, not just use it as a cheat for everything. they're handy in that they often come with identify skills, which allows little lore dumps of flavor text, but i'm more interested in the much more difficult to write systemless fantasy stories. at least the sci-fi ones have a good justification for having all-knowing screens.
Same ingredients, different process. It will always be one of the concepts I like.
i don't need to clarify re: harems. if they work more like polycules where each one is interested in the others, that's way cooler than having their object of attraction be the single person who's needs are all taken care of by their harem, their only saving grace being an OP cheat of some kind. blatantly wish fulfillment.
Having the MC actually care about his harems? Obviously, my guy. I'm one point with you on this one.
a lot of these tags, like the nobles or OP protag, are ones i can't really identify myself with through the reader. oh, this princess is sad and made a mess? oh gee, better get the servants to clean that up. wow, how relatable.
This makes the readers unrelate with the story. Cuz that's not what we usually do, that's what riches do.
Hear me out: I don't dislike fanfiction as a whole. I do like some fan projects that try to add to the story in a meaningful way, like undertale yellow, or something that is a fan's genuine attempt to make a good story in the same universe like pokemon uranium. But finding good fanfiction is more trouble than it's worth.
It's like trying to find a needle in a haystack.
Lovely.

Myself, I'm writing one where the main character takes it in stride, but is ultimately never really able to fully adjust.

Fanfiction can be great, some of the best stories I've read were fanfiction. But, in general, it's one of those pieces of media that someone seeks out directly rather than run into. Since it's built on existing media (and the assumption that the reader is already aware of the source material), that's a strike against anyone who's found the story for the first time.

Some fanfiction settings are exceptions; Kantai Collection fics on Spacebattles are great, since there's so little established about the setting in the first place that the author is forced to build the world themselves. But with others, it'd be unreasonable to expect the author to have to re-explain the entire story for readers who don't know the source material.
Lovely.

Me, who explains the stuff of several fandoms in both of my stories:

Ididgood.jpg

Last edited: