Who on earth uses Grammarly (for example) as an editor when we have ChatGPT? !

Anyone??

• Total voters

TotallyHuman

I spent a dozen minutes writing up a long long comment about why you shouldn't use chatGPT from the point of view of privacy, from the point of view of potential over-reliance, lastly from the point of view of human ethics.

But then I realised that it would be pointless because nobody would even bother to read it, and of those who would, few if any at all would care about those problems and of those would care nobody would find out anything new or useful to them. I feel awful for having wasted my time on this.

So, have fun using it I guess? Glad you like it enough to boast that you use it in favour of another service?

Jaysanerd

I've tried it, it seems to miss a lot of grammatical mistakes and it often mistakes your creative writing for something else, lol. Just getting the paid grammarly is best IMO. ChatGPT is a good alternative though.

ForestDweller

Wait, you can use chatgpt to proofread?

I've been using deepl write all this time.

Dunno about paid grammarly. It doesn't write my novel for me so I don't like it.

Lorelliad

call me Roamer 🎩
Grammarly sometimes thinks my writing is wrong in some parts, even if it isn't. Like when it sees a dialogue that includes stuttering, like "B-but," it always thinks its an error. It's probably one of the few reasons I hate it lol.

LunaSoltaer

Spicy Transbian
I use free Grammarly. I would not use Grammarly if I really wanted to keep my novel private. In that case I would not be posting on ScribbleHub either; id be trying to find an editor and publishor.

One thing I would want to check before using something like ChatGPT is where the copyright goes. I used NightCafe for my cover art, and I very specifically ensured I had commercial rights to anything I had generated provided I didnt supply any copyrighted imagery as a base (which I did not). I'm not worried about readers accusing me of stealing because not only did I show the source of both art and my legitimate claim to art, but also what are they going to do? Not read my novel whose current readerbase I can count on a hand?

To be fair, grabbing a human editor or even a free beta reader would be infinitely better than Grammarly because not only do you have someone who can catch errors, they can also say which errors are fine and which aren't, and provide deeper feedback (In theory ChatGPT can do this too but any topic even remotely political is going to go the way of the majority. As a very decided minority, this is obviously a problem.)

And not even ChatGPT can give you an idea of how engaging your work will be in the wild. a human beta or editor can.

Naturally in order to use a human resource you have to have human connections and I dont have those. Not their fault I suffered net death for a year. And not complaining cause I could have stayed active on community during hiatus.

Doesn't change the fact that no humans means I need Something to help me analyze own shit.

And honestly free Grammarly is good enough for me. I'm sure paid Grammarly has some amazing insights but at that point I'd rather source a human (despite kinda not being one myself but thats a different story)

Eclectic_Asininity

On one hand it's a cool tool that can help generate ideas for stories and could be actual help to others.

On the other hand it's a dystopian hivemind lobotomized through asinine censorship that benefits nobody.

Also I can't be Racist, Homophobic, Transphobic, Xenophobic, Fatphobic, Ablest, and Anti-Semitic, so what's the point? (let me know if I missed any important ones) (hopefully these kind of obvious jokes don't get you banned)

Last edited:

TheEldritchGod

A Cloud Of Pure Spite And Eyes
ChatGPT sucks. It is woke as fuck, doesn't understand the concept of conversations, and can't stand the concept of sex.
However, I find it nice to throw in a few chapters here and there, ask it to rewrite then I can go, huh. Yeah, maybe that is better sentence structure. But for the most part, it's a nice faux second pair of eyes, if you don't have anyone else available.

Eclectic_Asininity

ChatGPT sucks. It is woke as fuck, doesn't understand the concept of conversations, and can't stand the concept of sex.
However, I find it nice to throw in a few chapters here and there, ask it to rewrite then I can go, huh. Yeah, maybe that is better sentence structure. But for the most part, it's a nice faux second pair of eyes, if you don't have anyone else available.
Bold of you to use the W word in a place like this, you might be labeled as an evil bad man.

Who on earth uses instruments when we have FL Studio? !​

Like for real... who needs them anyway?

LOL

I'm sorry, this thread pissed me off more than usual.

AI had the potential to be so cool, but it's ruined because people get upset at mean words.

Last edited:

LunaSoltaer

Spicy Transbian
Direction is the perogative of spirit! The only soul who shepherds your voice is your own! Let the dissenters crash down in storm, for your true measure is whether you strayed from yourself!

Yeah no seriously that sort of kneejerk mob swarm is exactly what fuels the infinite spite that is my inner capsaicin. If you're being a transphobic shite to me I can drop kick you myself. Dont need a fucking robot to shelter me. Hell, according to some people I dont even exist. (No, NOT "you're a man not a woman" kind of "denying my existence" because my existing was never in question, but literally saying I do not exist.)

DaisukeHanashi

Once a horny writer, now a happy writer
ask it to rewrite then I can go, huh. Yeah, maybe that is better sentence structure.
That's mostly what I use for right now. On other stuff like asking for some "Is it okay to do this or that" type of question, yeah, ChatGPT do be kinda suck.

Roguekat

Grammarly is better than ChatGPT cause it only tells you what is wrong with your material, and gives suggestions on how to fix it.
And ChatGPT is toooooo WOKE :blob_unamused:

D

Deleted member 54065

Not a Grammarly user, but ProWritingAid. I prefer those over AI anytime so I can always sharpen my mind. My only problem with PWA is that when I write 'chairwoman', I really mean it. I don't need the woke alternative (chairperson).

Corty

Sneaking in, stealing your socks.
Not a Grammarly user, but ProWritingAid. I prefer those over AI anytime so I can always sharpen my mind. My only problem with PWA is that when I write 'chairwoman', I really mean it. I don't need the woke alternative (chairperson).
Excuse me? What the fuck?

D

Deleted member 54065

Excuse me? What the fuck?

Eh, you know them woke Westerns and their bloodthirsty quest for (overly) equal representation. Oh, and if you wonder how I use PWA to 'sharpen' my mind, well, it's simply because that app doesn't do everything for me. I still get to think and choose what I want for my work.