Why can't some people capitalize their I's?

Cosmic

This is a rant to vent.

Why can't some people just capitalize their goddang I's in their stories? I can forgive every other grammatical mistake, but not capitalizating your I's? That's one of the most basic things there is.

When I click on such a novel and see sentences like "i charged at him with madness in my eyes, but nothing i did could hurt him. How can i win this?" I nope the frick out!

How can someone plan to write a story, post it on the Internet for everyone to judge and read, and not have the slightly care to just reread/edit it at least a single time? It's not hard. It doesn't need to be perfect because it never will be, but how can someone just write an entire chapter like it's a text message or a YT comment? It's like they barfed it out and just clicked post the second they typed the last letter of the chapter. Do they think so highly of themselves and their work that they think editing is unnecessary?

I get that there are authors and writers writing for the very first time, and I know that there are people who don't have English as their first language, but how in the world can they make such a mistake when it's one of the first and simplest grammar rules people learn? When "I" refers to yourself aka when it's used as a first-person pronoun, you capitalize it!

Plus, things like autocorrect and spell check exist! The only explanation is a lack of care for their writing and their readers. 😤

Anyhow, thanks for letting me vent.

Last edited:

Saileri

Your Friendly Neighborhood IT Guy
Well, there are a lot of authors with various levels of language knowledge and skills. I fully understand you since I am a perfectionist myself and it hurts the eyes, but well, let them do their thing. Comment and correct them. Drop if it's not changing :blob_catflip:

GDLiZy

Tale Admirer
I was about to say people are lazy, but you’re talking about story and not writing in forum so I agree.

People always say grammar doesn’t matter, or that they aren’t native so their grammar is bad. That’s just an excuse to be lazy, so don’t come crying when the reader decides he won’t bother with the story.

The author must have good grammar and know his shit.

Ral

Well, according to polls and discussions I have seen around here, because it doesn't matter. As people said, as long as it is readable then they don't mind. What matters is the story and characters; the story is interesting and the characters are interesting then all is great.

Or maybe, since most people here comes from NU, they are just used to poor translations.

D

Deleted member 29316

Well, aside from some non-English background of some writers (like me), others are simply lazy to correct it, along with the "It's okay, no one's making a fuss about it except you." line. If I may add, they also are lazy to capitalize first words in a sentence, or proper nouns.

A lot of my students have the same kind of attitude, and it pisses me off since I'm teaching a language and literature subject. If not corrected early on, they're bound to have that kind of mistake repeated over and over again, and they'll get offended if you correct them (plus they'd call you a grammar nazi).

Oh, and a lot of them also posts on Wattpad and dreams to be a local writer of renown someday.

Last edited by a moderator:

CupcakeNinja

Pervert Supreme
This is a rant to vent.

Why can't some people just capitalize their goddang I's in their stories? I can forgive every other grammatical mistake, but not capitalizating your I's? That's one of the most basic things there is.

When I click on such a novel and see sentences like "i charged at him with madness in my eyes, but nothing i did could hurt him. How can i win this?" I nope the frick out!

How can someone plan to write a story, post it on the Internet for everyone to judge and read, and not have the slightly care to just reread/edit it at least a single time? It's not hard. It doesn't need to be perfect because it never will be, but how can someone just write an entire chapter like it's a text message or a YT comment? It's like they barfed it out and just clicked post the second they typed the last letter of the chapter. Do they think so highly of themselves and their work that they think editing is unnecessary?

I get that there are authors and writers writing for the very first time, and I know that there are people who don't have English as their first language, but how in the world can they make such a mistake when it's one of the first and simplest grammar rules people learn? When "I" refers to yourself aka when it's used as a first-person pronoun, you capitalize it!

Plus, things like autocorrect and spell check exist! The only explanation is a lack of care for their writing and their readers. 😤

Anyhow, thanks for letting me vent.
Because its fucking tedious

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
If it is done intentionally, I can understand it. This works well in poetry when the author is presenting a mood.

Example:

i was abused by my parents.
They told me i was worthless and i believed them.
Then I grew up and realized they were the worthless ones.

LostLibrarian

We Could Also Just Capitalize Every Word. It Would Make Writing So Much Easier.
And The Best? We Could Use A Stupid Algorithm For That. No Author Required!

(that said, I have similar problem as non-native writer. Not with "i" and "I", but with stuff like "now" and "know" who sound the same inside my head. And PR software won't show those as it's a correct word in itself -.-'')

Leti

In America, you capitalize "I". In Soviet Russia, "I" capitalize you.

Some languages, like Russian, don't capitalize their personal pronoun. Seeing how most English lessons are more focused on speaking rather than writing, it's not uncommon for first-time learners to make that mistake. However, some people never learn from their mistakes or just doesn't care enough to improve. Which happens a lot.

AliceShiki

Magical Girl of Love and Justice
My guess is that their English isn't that good. It wouldn't surprise me if they weren't even aware they should be capitalizing their Is.

Just post a polite comment reminding them about it on their chapter I guess?

Moonpearl

The Yuri Empress
Dyslexia could be a reason, too. Some of the brightest minds I know can't capitalise their Is because... Well, they just can't.

It used to bother me a lot as well, but I've learned to accept these things and focus on the content.

And i think you should too ;)