Why do Filipinos have this weird sense of pride?

• Thread starter Deleted member 42060
  • Start date

Ruriha

Well-known Procrastinator
Sounds like you're talking about Americans here.
Not especially, but you can take it that way since they've majorly contributed. Philippines had three colonizers and later came dictatorship, then soon replaced by oligarchs. Really hard to love anything 'bout that.

D

Deleted member 42060

Is this new? There always have been two types of filipino, the overtly narcissistic english-speaking wannabe/weeb and the condescending denouncer who unwittingly pander to foreigners. This is simply what you get when you deprive a nation of its identity, they just can't love themselves.​
“Overtly narcissistic english-speaking wannabe/weeb”; god, I like how accurate that sounds. It’s like you have to be fluent in English before you consider yourself a weeb. We have a discord that’s dedicated to our whole school, all grade levels, and it’s plagued by overtly narcissistic english-speaking wannabe/weebs, who overuse the greeting “henlo,” who have anime or VTuber or Genshin Impact profile pictures, who most likely watched or played the game “Omori,” who for some reason doesn’t capitalize the first letter of their messages. Yes, this stereotype that makes Philippines seem like a first-world country.

I prefer the generic ones who unironically talk in pure Filipino with the first letters of their messages capitalized, not using terms like “git gud” and “poggers.”​

Last edited by a moderator:

SilvCrimBlac

A Historical Bastard
Not especially, but you can take it that way since they've majorly contributed. Philippines had three colonizers and later came dictatorship, then soon replaced by oligarchs. Really hard to love anything 'bout that.
Bleh. Can't say I agree or disagree. When people blame the majority of their current behavioral/societal problems only on just the past, it eventually becomes a constant loop and self-fulfilling prophecy. Eventually, you got to get over it and do something about it. Unless of course, the majority don't see a problem with their current behavior.

megu3

anyway I don't know what are you guys talking about but all Filipinos I've met were great people (except for Quertzy who's a love live and mechanical keyboards degenerate), unlike muricans that were all mean except for one who's just a retard and one who's actually a good guy just a little bit normie

Ruriha

Bleh. Can't say I agree or disagree. When people blame the majority of their current behavioral/societal problems only on just the past, it eventually becomes a constant loop and self-fulfilling prophecy. Eventually, you got to get over it and do something about it. Unless of course, the majority don't see a problem with their current behavior.
Philippines is precisely in a quagmire because the problem is still in the present. I didn't specifically mention America as you assume because they're only part of an amalgamation, though however large its contribution might have been. The issue here is much more complex and deeply-rooted.

SilvCrimBlac

A Historical Bastard
Philippines is precisely in a quagmire because the problem is still in the present. I didn't specifically mention America as you assume because they're only part of an amalgamation, though however large its contribution might have been. The issue here is much more complex and deeply-rooted.
I don't know anything about the Filipino's of today so I won't pretend I do.

Philippines is precisely in a quagmire because the problem is still in the present.

The issue here is much more complex and deeply-rooted.
These are the exact same excuses and words (for the most part anyway) that a certain type of American currently uses to excuse their whining, bad behavior, to explain how they are "oppressed", when in reality, they have every opportunity as anyone else and just want things handed to them for nothing because effort is hard. Idk if this rings a bell with you, but perhaps there are some similarities? Idk. As I said, not my place. Still, over time, I've discovered people from around the world are more similar than any of us would like to admit, though of course there are still noticeable differences.

Anyway, I'll be dropping the subject now. My apologies.

Ruriha

I don't know anything about the Filipino's of today so I won't pretend I do.

These are the exact same excuses and words (for the most part anyway) that a certain type of American currently uses to excuse their whining, bad behavior, to explain how they are "oppressed", when in reality, they have every opportunity as anyone else and just want things handed to them for nothing because effort is hard. Idk if this rings a bell with you, but perhaps there are some similarities? Idk. As I said, not my place. Still, over time, I've discovered people from around the world are more similar than any of us would like to admit, though of course there are still noticeable differences.

Anyway, I'll be dropping the subject now. My apologies.
You are right, it's more of a matter of choice, but I say it's much more complex because it is how a society has been ingrained to function. It's a vicious cycle, same way why people in poverty struggles to become rich. People just often mistake it as an excuse because those who doesn't actually have a problem uses it for their own convenience, as gleaned upon by your own example.

SilvCrimBlac

A Historical Bastard
those who doesn't actually have a problem uses it for their own convenience.
You beautiful soul. Wish I could meme this somehow for most of America's twitter population. Unfortunately, I don't have an account there because I still have a small shred of dignity and soul still remaining to keep me from it.

Ruriha

You beautiful soul. Wish I could meme this somehow for most of America's twitter population. Unfortunately, I don't have an account there because I still have a small shred of dignity and soul still remaining to keep me from it.
To its credit, twitter still has a lot of uses for other things... :blob_joy:

AliceShiki

Magical Girl of Love and Justice
Mas Agus is better than Kiara
[X] Doubt.jpg

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
There was a TV show my dad liked to watch just because it was filmed at University of Iowa, and he went there for a little while. People will take pride in small things.

T.K._Paradox

Was Divided By Zero: Looking for Glovebox Jesus
Idk. Only group of people I've never been able to stomach being around are French people. Every one of them I've ever met, were arrogant narcissistic pricks who acted as if the sun rose and set only on France and the French people. Idk what it is with French people, but they have this enormous sense of undeserved pride that aggravates me, and since Quebecois (French Canadians basically) tend to have a sizeable population where I live, I have to deal with those pricks as well. It seems just having ANY French heritage at all makes one have that arrogance.

I'm not normally espousing negativity on any ethnicity, (not even Chinese despite the fact that they have more than earned it worldwide), but man...French people suck. If you're French on here, I do not take back what I said. Chances are, I wouldn't like you either because in my opinion, you probably have that same weird sneer on your face too that you don't even recognize because you're French yourself and it's been normalized so you don't even see it anymore.
I have been to France personally, the people in Paris around my mother's age would make refuse to talk to you if you were from America even if you could speak French decently like how I can. The older people that were around my grandparent's age and up and people that were around my age would talk to us and chat us up, and if one of my group members didn't speak French, they would switch to English to make it easier to for to them understand.
Oh, boy, you haven't met Indians. We are probably the most vain people ever, we are literally so arrogant, its quite super natural.
Our people can't handle any other country being ahead.
Germany made some sort of biodegradable plastic? There would immediately be Indians saying the Gita did it first.

We also can't tolerate any other religion than ours.
I once saw a clip I don't know where from, but there was a party being held in a club in India, one guy made a comment a the club smelling bad because there was a ton of people crowded on the dance floor. Then it proceeded to show a ton of response tweets to him from Indian Twitter. Most were racial slurs.

Last edited:

SilvCrimBlac

A Historical Bastard
I have been to France personally, the people in Paris around my mother's age would make refuse to talk to you if you were from America even if you could speak French decently like how I can.
Sounds like French people alright. If that nation was conquered by Germany, England, Spain, Russia....or just anyone at all really, I would make sure to put a giant meme somewhere that said "And nothing of value was lost." It's funny too, I've met Brits, Germans, Portuguese, and even Spaniards, and they all agreed French people are asses. I've met a Scottish guy who I thought would defend them since you know, Scotland was a long-term historical ally with France, but nah, he said as much as the Brits irritate him, French people "get under his skin." I've met Irish and they have no opinion either way. It's all about the Brits with them. Have met Russians and they seem to think just any Western European in general is worthy of scorn so I guess to them, it's all the same.

Last edited:

T.K._Paradox

Was Divided By Zero: Looking for Glovebox Jesus
Sounds like French people alright. If that nation was conquered by Germany, England, Spain, Russia....or just anyone at all really, I would make sure to put a giant meme somewhere that said "And nothing of value was lost." It's funny too, I've met Brits, Germans, Portuguese, and even Spaniards, and they all agreed French people are asses. I've met a Scottish guy who I thought would defend them since you know, Scotland was a long-term historical ally with France, but nah, he said as much as the Brits irritate him, French people "get under his skin." I've met Irish and they have no opinion either way. It's all about the Brits with them. Have met Russians and they seem to think just any Western European in general is worthy of scorn so I guess to them, it's all the same.
I guess that arrogance has to come from somewhere. Like having the most military victories ever, a strong food and art culture, and having a long-lasting empire that effects are still being felt to this day.

But then France got their cheeks clapped by the Prussians in the late 19th. century.

Nations in general just need to stop living in the past or else everyone else in the world is going to blow by them. At the rate, the worlds going: America is not going to return to the 1920s or 1950s. France, Britain, Spain, and Portugal will never have any more chances at world-spanning empires. Etc. Etc.

TLDR: Stop wanking about accomplishments you or your country's current generation had nothing to do with, it is okay to love your country and what it has done, but there is no need to be prideful and look down on others because of it.

SilvCrimBlac

A Historical Bastard
I guess that arrogance has to come from somewhere. Like having the most military victories ever, a strong food and art culture, and having a long-lasting empire that effects are still being felt to this day.
Nah, the last real victorious era for the French was during the 1600's, specifically under Louis XV, after that, only Napoleon ever won anything for France and that guy wasn't even French. He was from Corsica. Which is hilarious.

Last edited: