Why do you write?

Luosiuwu

When I start to write something, usually the first thing that comes to mind is- “What is something that I want to explore?”. Which results to, “Something that I daydream about constantly that I want to come to life.”

(I think someone told me stories are just written fantasies...)

Whenever I write a story, I don’t really write to stasify my readers, I do it mostly for me.

I write to release and because it’s fun!

Why do you write?

pastalady

My head is often full of tales and worlds I build up in my free time as I’m reading or driving or showering or sleeping or zoning out or gaming or... just all the time. Why not pen them down? And at that point, why not share them?

Although I get so caught up in making things perfect that I never finish them... haha... So I’m currently writing to practice... editing less. :|

Elateam

Fish and Chips Salesperson
This one is kind of depressing.

I have nightmares from an incident back in the past when I went on a trip to Asia. In one of the countries I visited, the perpetrator got away because of socioeconomic conditions while the victim died. I didn't know how to feel because the justice was so broken that when I returned home I kept reading history books about why this was the result? Why could it have not been a different result? Why did this poor kid— probably in his teens— have to die from something that was clearly the perpetrator's fault? I slowly understood things from the different cultures, religions, traditions, castes, etc. that I wanted to talk about it one day but then was not the time.

Reading web-novels years later, I couldn't help but feel that some of the violence was often just glossed over, or the battles were either skipped or lacked the proper perspective of the average fighter. Or that the society in those books felt either a bit too idealistic or of only one shade. Maybe I read the wrong types of novels. But I remembered the kid from my nightmare two years ago and I decided that I had to write something.

My writing is terrible for the moment. I admit that whole-heartedly. I just started wiritng a few months ago. But, I hope to improve quickly so I can tell this story of someone from our World being sent back to a World full of intolerance and injustice and trying to change it for the better.

Last edited:

Ninetailed_Furball

I have a habit of thinking of "what ifs" way too much.

What if there was a conversation about this?
What if this changed in this situation?
What if this scenario had this addition?
What if this story had this different angle?

All those what ifs circle around in my brain, and sometimes I end up writing them out and they become stories. Most of the time they only become a few chapters before I get bored of them, but sometimes they just keep on going.

I only published because I figured why not. Now I'm closing in on a quarter million words with no end in sight.

Luosiuwu

I have nightmares from an incident back in the past when I went on a trip to Asia. In one of the countries I visited, the perpetrator got away because of socioeconomic conditions while the victim died. I didn't know how to feel because the justice was so broken that when I returned home I kept reading history books about why this was the result? Why could it have not been a different result? Why did this poor kid— probably in his teens— have to die from something that was clearly the perpetrator's fault? I slowly understood things from the different cultures, religions, traditions, castes, etc. that I wanted to talk about it one day but then was not the time.

Reading web-novels years later, I couldn't help but feel that some of the violence was often just glossed over, or the battles were either skipped or lacked the proper perspective of the average fighter. Or that the society in those books felt either a bit too idealistic or of only one shade. Maybe I read the wrong types of novels. But I remembered the kid from my nightmare two years ago and I decided that I had to write something.

My writing is terrible for the moment. I admit that whole-heartedly. I just started wiritng a few months ago. But, I hope to improve quickly so I can tell this story of someone from our World being sent back to a World full of intolerance and trying to change it for the

My writing is terrible for the moment. I admit that whole-heartedly. I just started wiritng a few months ago. But, I hope to improve quickly so I can tell this story of someone from our World being sent back to a World full of intolerance and trying to change it for the better.
I really look forward to reading you’re novel when you’re ready! It sounds really good and when it comes to battles and issues of society I agree that it is glossed over, which is usually because the writer mainly wants to focus on the protagonists viewpoint. I feel like you’re novel will be amazing and raw!

I wish you luck! ☺

CupcakeNinja

Pervert Supreme
When I start to write something, usually the first thing that comes to mind is- “What is something that I want to explore?”. Which results to, “Something that I daydream about constantly that I want to come to life.”

(I think someone told me stories are just written fantasies...)

Whenever I write a story, I don’t really write to satisfy my readers, I do it mostly for me.

I write to release and because it’s fun!

Why do you write?
I write for own enjoyment. Because how many times have we read something and go, "they should've said this" or " done that" or even, "what if that happened"

I don't even daydream for myself much. I daydream for what could've happened. And how those events would make the characters feel.

jinxs2011

Spud Cannon
Basically, I started writing because for a few years, I was always thinking, 'I wish someone would write a story about X. That'd be really fun.' But nobody ever did, and after a while I kinda realised that nobody probably ever would. So I decided to write them myself.

Wintertime

King of Nothing
I get inspired by other writers to explore my own themes of 'x' theory. Whether that's just normal generic isekai novels, to Steven King, to R.R Martin, to Tolkien, etc, I find it interesting to explore.

Kotohood

Noob Author
I've been daydreaming about this story for quite a while now and I want to see them come to life.

What better way to do that than to write it? And also I wanted to do something in my life that I can be proud of I guess. Heres hoping I can actually go through and finish the story at least even if no one reads it.

Phantomheart

Cliff Hanger Player
I write because I know that no one else can write my story. Well they can, but it will suck and I’ll be berating them for getting stuff wrong.

hueyhare

Some of my favorite stories have made me fall in love with the characters, the world, and the lore. I write because I want to craft stories that provide that kind of experience for others. I want to build worlds and people that others will fall in love with. I also think it would be a pretty awesome day job, so here's to hoping that works out! 🤞

I just have that itch in my head. Lots of ideas I want to explore, boundaries I wanna keep pushing and desires I wanna seek outlet of.

The satisfaction that came from writing the things I want, the way I want.

Most important of all, was how it affect my life in a positive way and how, by doing so, I find mysefl the meaning to keep on living.

OneSixSeven

Advocate of Headpatting and Handholding
Here are my reasons:
  1. To get rid of my past experience of reading/watching harem stories that contain generic dense or indecisive male lead by pairing it with harem ending is canon(polygamy) or a single pairing from the start to avoid cliche tropes.
  2. To satisfy myself by writing one for my own at first before readers.
  3. To exercise my creativity
  4. For fun

Scribbler

I want to have some worth in my life. And I believe the best way I can do that is to make people happy. And gaining ability in a skill gives me something to be proud of as well. It's a win-win. I can make myself happy and other people happy at the same time. One of the reasons I want to be a cook too.

Also, thread with a similar premise.

Viator

Wandering Moon that conceals the tide
this might make me sound a little crazy... Strictly speaking about poetry, my writing can sometimes be a need, and a compulsion. I write for the flow of language. I hear it in a way others describe music, there is cadence, a rhythm that I hear, and am always seeking to capture. There are times I become almost like a madman; frustrated with the limits of language, I want to push the limits of what I write into what I hear. It's something I cannot explain well, except that it's like a drug that takes all of my energy. I have never once yet succeeded in capturing this 'sound' and my work is a sea of failure. But I can't stop pursuing it. Sometimes I hear it in the wind, sometimes the water, I feel it in the person next to me as inspiration strikes... It sounds nuts; but I'm desperate to break through this invisible wall in my perceptions, to reach this tone I hear beneath the limits of the very language I'm bound to. Some days I want to tear my hair out, and many of my poems actually end with me giving up in exhaustion, or half finished, as if by continuing I would only degrade them and make them hollow by forcing an ending. Many do end up hollow like this. Mere cheap imitations of something else I can't describe. Maybe pieces or shards of it are present; but I come away never feeling satisfied.

TwilightForest

Being myself
this might make me sound a little crazy... Strictly speaking about poetry, my writing can sometimes be a need, and a compulsion. I write for the flow of language. I hear it in a way others describe music, there is cadence, a rhythm that I hear, and am always seeking to capture. There are times I become almost like a madman; frustrated with the limits of language, I want to push the limits of what I write into what I hear. It's something I cannot explain well, except that it's like a drug that takes all of my energy. I have never once yet succeeded in capturing this 'sound' and my work is a sea of failure. But I can't stop pursuing it. Sometimes I hear it in the wind, sometimes the water, I feel it in the person next to me as inspiration strikes... It sounds nuts; but I'm desperate to break through this invisible wall in my perceptions, to reach this tone I hear beneath the limits of the very language I'm bound to. Some days I want to tear my hair out, and many of my poems actually end with me giving up in exhaustion, or half finished, as if by continuing I would only degrade them and make them hollow by forcing an ending. Many do end up hollow like this. Mere cheap imitations of something else I can't describe. Maybe pieces or shards of it are present; but I come away never feeling satisfied.
Ever tried painting?

Sahilk

I mainly write because it helps me get immersed in a world I create. It helps me pass time and writing give my creatives a chance to experience life.

By the way, I am the author of 'The novel's Mob'. You can read my novel if you have some time.