Why so much face slapping? Why so many pointless conflicts? … a bit of a rant.

NotaNuffian

This does spark joy.
As for the reactiveness of the main character it is just fairly common for them to have a, 'if it doesn't effect me it doesn't matter' personality.
I feel that this is a standard formula for "good MC" other than the good ol' boy scout out there helping others.

If they aren't going to do something (probably stupid), they have less chance of making mistakes. This will result in the plot affecting MC and not other way round and turning the novel into something dry.

I like the old days of Nobita done shit up and had to drag Doraemon into shit.

Also, I enjoy the phrase from one CN (I think it was Sword of Coming, shit MTL title) about whether MC is doing things or not, "when you are (born/ exist) here, you are already blocking someone's path."

ConansWitchBaby

Da Scalie Whisperer
Formula writing. People trying to get a feel as to how a long form plan for a book would work for them. It's the only thing they know from a lack of a diversified reading background.

This premise is something that should be introduced to the story or be part of the genre. Which in this case is what is expected for those type of books. They aren't much at fault just following the standard.

I don't see why a protagonist can't be aggressive. They can be that way, but have it viewed in different circumstances. I got something in my backlog where the story will require the MC to be, essentially a piece of shit, in order to progress given the world. It would tie in with how it benefits the end-goal and why violence drives the plot. Simply put, the world is ending, he knows why and how the world is ending, he sees everyone as already dead unless he saves it, everyone wants him to stop because they don't know why he's doing things or ignored when it was explained to them (why would they auto-believe him?).

I even included slavery in a way that blends in with the world while not over glorifying it. A background how even if it looks bad, they were literal sadist and rapist, raiding the kingdom that the story takes place in. A last-ditch effort to avoid outright genocide introduced as a mercy option instead of extinction by the religious leaders. Hoping to put this in as an MC vs Hero conflict.

I guess I'm writing because I'm also annoyed with how some things simply happens in other works rather than having a basis to the actions presented to the viewers. ;-; I have too many ideas and not enough time!

Rhaps

Xenophobia Incarnate
For me, Korean manhwa is always art first and story second, I honesty got into manhwa just for the art alone, if the story is fun then that's a plus. And if the story captivates me enough, I'll find the novel, i.e, You got the wrong house, Villain (The promo art really sold me the series).

As for Chinese novel... well, let's just say I don't read that. You can find ten stories with the exact same plot, it's a pile of trash that takes too much effort to dig through to find gems. It's not worth it for me.

Kenjona

Ever been to a low dive ghetto bar or a low end stripper joint where there are a bunch of "boys"? Yea, face slapping happens. Just there is no cheat (except maybe guns, which someone in the other team will have) to defeat the really big guy with all the friends and/or money. Most of those devolve into lots of blue and red light in the parking lot.

TotallyHuman

The bigger question is, why does nobody in novels or other media act like normal people anymore. As for face-slapping or what not - that is just part of the problem. That's all.

phaeous

The Semanticist
Ah, but face-slapping gets you karma

if you slap enough faces, you can change the world!

BearlyAlive

Certfied Super Secret Final Secret Final Boss
Ah yes, face-slapping. The chinese version of what the common smuthubber knows as face-fucking; the act of shoving your primary organ of empowerment fantasy into the face of another, used for quick gratification instead of plot or character development.