Working changed my writing

DubstheDuke

Just something I was thinking about a lot recently.

I started writing as a hobby in college. At the time, I wrote a couple of series - one of which I ended up going all the way and completing. This was where I gained the basis of my writing experience, with a whole bunch of trial and error. After college, I started working a legitimate job and took a short break from writing (Due to the shift in the workload and my lifestyle), but eventually I picked up writing again and created another series.

Aside from the difference in experience, I've noticed a significant difference in the way that the two series were written - particularly molded by my experiences in the workforce.

First of all, the main characters that I wrote in college were - in college. And the main characters that I wrote while I was working were... working age young adults.

But aside from this obvious difference, there was a major shift in the themes and the stories that I told. Once I started working, my writing became a large critique of the business world and the industry altogether. All the things I have witnessed in my career have been translated into my writing, whether it is through a certain character or a certain issue that I see all too often.

The biggest difference? I think the way I see the world has completely changed.

Before, I was a bit more naive and optimistic (Though I am reluctant to call myself as such). But I had better expectations for people. I thought that generosity was the standard, and that kindness was the usual.

Ever since entering the work world, I know that isn't the case. Generosity is the exception, and a rare one at that. So rare in fact, that it might as well not exist.

People will only do things that benefit them, and if you want someone to do something - you need to give them a good reason to. That reason is usually money.

Someone isn't getting paid enough to do some work? They won't do it.

Someone doesn't have a certain task within their scope? They won't do it.

Someone doesn't absolutely need to do something by law? They won't do it.

Someone can get away with not doing something, even when it is required by law? They won't do it.

People want to remain in the status quo. It's natural. Trying to get someone to change without a reason is unreasonable. Trying to convince someone they want a product that they didn't explicitly search for will never yield results. And trying to get someone to spend money? Laughable - unless there is no other choice.

I used to think that greed was reserved for the villains in this world. But after living a few years in the industry, I realized that it's the standard - no. It's necessary. Because at the end of the day, if you try to give charity, then you end up left with nothing more to give.

NotaNuffian

This does spark joy.

I started writing as a hobby in college. At the time, I wrote a couple of series - one of which I ended up going all the way and completing. This was where I gained the basis of my writing experience, with a whole bunch of trial and error. After college, I started working a legitimate job and took a short break from writing (Due to the shift in the workload and my lifestyle), but eventually I picked up writing again and created another series.

Aside from the difference in experience, I've noticed a significant difference in the way that the two series were written - particularly molded by my experiences in the workforce.

First of all, the main characters that I wrote in college were - in college. And the main characters that I wrote while I was working were... working age young adults.

But aside from this obvious difference, there was a major shift in the themes and the stories that I told. Once I started working, my writing became a large critique of the business world and the industry altogether. All the things I have witnessed in my career have been translated into my writing, whether it is through a certain character or a certain issue that I see all too often.

Before, I was a bit more naive and optimistic (Though I am reluctant to call myself as such). But I had better expectations for people. I thought that generosity was the standard, and that kindness was the usual.

Ever since entering the work world, I know that isn't the case. Generosity is the exception, and a rare one at that. So rare in fact, that it might as well not exist.

People will only do things that benefit them, and if you want someone to do something - you need to give them a good reason to. That reason is usually money.

Someone can get away with not doing something, even when it is required by law? They won't do it.

People want to remain in the status quo. It's natural. Trying to get someone to change without a reason is unreasonable. Trying to convince someone they want a product that they didn't explicitly search for will never yield results. And trying to get someone to spend money? Laughable - unless there is no other choice.

I used to think that greed was reserved for the villains in this world. But after living a few years in the industry, I realized that it's the standard - no. It's necessary. Because at the end of the day, if you try to give charity, then you end up left with nothing more to give.

Also, this is a me thing, but I do envy those who had writing as a hobby when younger.

Because as of now, I find having a simple hobby such as taking out my phone to type stories into Google Docs to be taxing.

It can be wish fulfilment or random garbage, but it becomes harder and harder to find the time to even input in the words.

John_Owl

The one with fluffy wings

i'm sad to say you are correct. i wrote back in high school as a hobby and took a break for a few years while life got in the way. Since i started again, my writing has changed drastically. so drastically in fact that my writing no longer even sounds like the same author, even disregarding the fact that i changed from a focus on action in fantasy to a focus on smut in fantasy.

ParticleOfSand

Miserable one
I noticed my writing style changed a lot even though it's only been 4 months. As I go back to edit my earlier chapters, I feel that I really didn't go into much detail back then and my sentences are choppy.

RedHunter2296

Competitive Professional In Being Ignored
Something curious happens to me, and it is that in my case I feel that I have not changed despite having almost 3 years writing the same novel.

But the difference is that I worked much longer on my novel before writing it for the first time. Basically I already had everything planned halfway through with the smallest detail, it was just a matter of writing it down. So the first 80 chapters was like just going on autopilot.

It is after that when I already had several arcs planned but not the "connections" between them that I had to improvise more, where a new character appears, where to leave a new clue, where to go over something important, where to put a bit of tranquility between so much action. But in general I think I still write in the same way, only now I have to invent more in the air.

Kamelingil

Head of Thicc Thighs Supremacy
I'm just changing my writing naturally because the grammar and the writing is kinda odd, so I decided to read other novels and got inspired by it

Story_Marc

Share your fun!
I've noticed with my earliest drafts and plans for my caper series, I tended to think far more straightforward with it. I leaned far more into basic antagonists and more "justice" as most people think of it as purely just punishing others. As I've gotten older and recognized more the complexity of the world, the series plans have adjusted as well. The style of "justice" the series aligns with is much more different than it once was and I put greater emphasis on the care my team takes to be precise and calculated.

Also, the types of plans and scenarios I can write are so much better now. I often feel like I'm less copying the things that inspired me and more I now know how to see like them, but I can also see like myself and shape stuff into my own take on the genre.