Would Using Real Religion in My Series Be Distasteful?

Should I eliminate my series' ties to a real religion?

• Yes

Votes: 15 44.1%
  • No

Votes: 19 55.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

KevinStann

In my main series, I intend on introducing a cult that is an offshoot of a notorious midwestern Christian religion. I'm not sure how far I should go in explaining the roots of the cult and how its policies are tied to that religion, or if I should even mention the ties at all. I could easily write out the fact that the cult is tied to a real religion, but I would prefer not to if it isn't something that I need to do. The ties to this particular religion are actually where the initial idea for this novel came from in the first place, so I don't particularly want to write it out, but I'd also prefer to not offend a bunch of people with a negative portrayal of this particular flavor of Christianity.

Anon2024

????????? (???/???)
I voted yes to eliminate the names but only if it’s a specific denomination that you’re naming. you can do whatever you want however, I always think it’s best to be vague when it comes to names of modern religions or cults in fiction due to the fact there are some cults that would sue you for defamation.

explaining policies, practices and other things without the name is usually something that sparks my interest.

Ilikewaterkusa

You have to take out their families...
In my main series, I intend on introducing a cult that is an offshoot of a notorious midwestern Christian religion. I'm not sure how far I should go in explaining the roots of the cult and how its policies are tied to that religion, or if I should even mention the ties at all. I could easily write out the fact that the cult is tied to a real religion, but I would prefer not to if it isn't something that I need to do. The ties to this particular religion are actually where the initial idea for this novel came from in the first place, so I don't particularly want to write it out, but I'd also prefer to not offend a bunch of people with a negative portrayal of this particular flavor of Christianity.
My brother in Christ you are literally compelled by God to share our religion to not do so is anathema.

Last edited:

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
Go wild! Cover all the religions you want!

Ilikewaterkusa

just study mormons and make them more wacky and liberal. Abortion is the human sacrifice and is celebrations

lambenttyto

In my main series, I intend on introducing a cult that is an offshoot of a notorious midwestern Christian religion. I'm not sure how far I should go in explaining the roots of the cult and how its policies are tied to that religion, or if I should even mention the ties at all.
You're the artist. You can do whatever you want, up to and including total polemic critique of said religion. However, being a Christian myself, I can't say that I won't think your book is total crap and not read it after dropping you a one star. Just being honest, lol. Now, that being said, if the "religion in question" is actually a cult, there's a tasteful way of handling this. You can fictionalize a lot of it, or make up an entirely different religion. In Far Cry 5, the whole game is about a Christian-like cult, but the creators did a good job, since one of the characters is the pastor of a church, and he denounces the cultists as being false, so if you want to not offend, there are ways you can do that. In the game the cultists don't even use the bible, they have their own book. So they're not Christians. If your aim is in fact to offend, that's another matter. And again, as the artist, I think you have the right to offend. I believe that. It might not be tasteful, though, lol. Then again, a thoughtful critique, even if wrong, isn't necessarily distasteful either.

So I think your treatment of the subject matter will depend on whether or not its distasteful. It will also depend on whose reading.

So you're talkin' about Moromonism, aincha? lol

Piisfun

Playful Spacetime Dragon
just study mormons and make them more wacky and liberal. Abortion is the human sacrifice and is celebrations

So you're talkin' about Moromonism, aincha? lol

Please don't: Dealing with misinformation is already annoying enough without having people add things that don't even make any sense.

People are honestly stupid enough to believe it.

Just ask the superintendent of Midland Public Schools, who had to explain to the local PTA that, no, there are not litter boxes in the bathrooms for "furries."

---
Disclaimer: I do in fact count myself as a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, which, as far as I am aware, is the only church usually referred to under the incorrect label of "mormons."

Last edited:

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
Look man, if Hellsing can do THIS

You're pretty much off scotfree

KevinStann

Yeah, the religion in question is Mormonism. The idea was the cult in my novel was an offshoot that occurred during the fracturing in that church's past. Some people didn't like how leadership was decided, followed their own new leader back east, and stumbled across a divinity they probably shouldn't have. The ensuing cult is a mish-mash of Christian & old Mormon ideology, as well as something a little more sinister. That's the idea anyway. I'm not really sure how offensive that is, so I guess we'll see.

Also, my story is smut so I can't imagine that's helping my case :L

Anon2024

????????? (???/???)
Yeah, the religion in question is Mormonism. The idea was the cult in my novel was an offshoot that occurred during the fracturing in that church's past. Some people didn't like how leadership was decided, followed their own new leader back east, and stumbled across a divinity they probably shouldn't have. The ensuing cult is a mish-mash of Christian & old Mormon ideology, as well as something a little more sinister. That's the idea anyway. I'm not really sure how offensive that is, so I guess we'll see.

Mormons don’t sue, you’re good.

Redemit

to be fair the majority of other Christian denominations already think Mormonism is a cult already so you should probably be fine

Jemini

Yep, exactly. Depends.

I would say it gets seriously hairy if you're comparing a villain faction in your story to a real world religion. That's got all kinds of potential pit-falls and land-mines. Only do it if you are portraying something universally agreed to be a cult, like the Jonestown cult responsible for the famous Kool-Aid mass suicide. If it's something more like Mormons for whom there's some debate, or even the particular extremist sects of Islam responsible for the terrorism in the early 2000s, you should tread far more carefully and probably not make specific name mentions. (Although strong parallels might be within the wheel-house of what you can get away with.)
Look man, if Hellsing can do THIS

You're pretty much off scotfree

As I just covered in the comment earlier. The main reason they were able to get away with that stuff is because Alucard is framed as an anti-hero in the story rather than an antagonist.

Arkus86

As long as you are clear about writing a fictional cult offshoot, I believe you should not have any real issue with mentioning ties to real religions as its origins.
As mentioned above, things mostly get hairy when you write about the existing branches of real religions, extremists in particular.

doravg

104/4001 (too lazy to count the stories again.)
People tend to avoid religion in stories. I mean, my story, The Security Lamb, has religion as one of the main points. And it has only about ten views every day. And I update daily. Or, maybe, it is because it is a BL? I don't know.

Ilikewaterkusa

Please don't: Dealing with misinformation is already annoying enough without having people add things that don't even make any sense.

People are honestly stupid enough to believe it.

Just ask the superintendent of Midland Public Schools, who had to explain to the local PTA that, no, there are not litter boxes in the bathrooms for "furries."

---
Disclaimer: I do in fact count myself as a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, which, as far as I am aware, is the only church usually referred to under the incorrect label of "mormons."
The fact checkers lie. Making claims like cuckolding is a good thinf

EternalSunset0

As people have said, just avoid real life references. Rename stuff and refer to practices as you wish, and just add everything as a trivia when someone asks. I think it's safest to avoid ties to the real world. Sharp readers will kinda get what you're doing anyway.

maum.2412

your synopsis sound quite historical to me... you know, historical, horror and few romance with real religion have quite good sync. There are also many success stories with fake fanatical cult with few element from real one.

but i always prefer fantasy cult, i love galimulator and cultist simulator. Lastly, some people tend to avoid real religion.

georgelee5786

2024 Shovel Duel Champion
Well, it depends on who you ask. One Christian may not care if you make the church evil, but a different Christian might take offense to that. However, if you make it clear that this is completely different from the irl church them people will probably be okay with it