Would you bet to double your money? (Poll)

What percentage of the world do you think would approve your bet and double your money?

• 100% - I think everyone would approve my bet

Votes: 2 7.1%
  • 99%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 95%

• 90% - I think 9 out of 10 people would approve my bet

• 80%

• 75% - I think 3 out of 4 people would approve my bet

• 66%

Votes: 3 10.7%
  • 50% - I think there's a 50-50 chance my bet would be approved

Votes: 6 21.4%
  • 33%

Votes: 1 3.6%
  • 25% - I think 1 out of 4 people would approve my bet

• 20%

• 10% - I think 1 out of 10 people would approve my bet

• 5%

• 1%

• 0% - I think nobody would approve my bet

• I would refuse to play this game

• I'm unusure

• I do not wish to respond

• Total voters

minacia

perpetually sour
:blob_gift:

The Magical Girl of Evil and Darkness flew from a faraway land, and decided to recharge her powers by confronting the first person she sees... you!
Anyhow, she approaches you with a proposition.
First, she takes out a book and explains that this is a biography of your life. The book is a magically generated biography that highlights everything significant you have ever done or experienced (good or bad). It is a perfectly objective account, meaning that it neither casts you in a positive nor negative light. She allows you to examine the book, and you confirm that it is indeed extremely factual and objective... it only tells the truth.
Then, she suggests that you play a small gambling game with her.
The game works as follows.
Step 1: Bet any amount of money. You don't even have to currently own the money that you bet. However, if you bet more money than you have on hand, it will turn into debt that is deducted from the future money you are fated to earn.
Step 2: The Magical Girl will take your biography and give it to a perfectly random person in the world who does not know you. She will tell the stranger that you are betting XXXX amount of money, and if the stranger wishes, they can double your money. Alternatively, they can refuse and make you lose your money.
Step 3: Depending on the stranger's response, you'll either end up earning twice your bet, or losing the money that you bet.

1. Would you play this gambling game? If yes, how much money would you bet?

2. What do you think is the likelihood that a random stranger would double your money?

3. Do you think most people are generally nice or mean?

4. Imagine that you are the stranger, and the Magical Girl approaches you about someone who bet $1,000,000. She hands you the person's biography, which is extremely thick and about the size of a textbook. Would you bother to read it very carefully? What factors would consider when deciding to approve/reject someone else's bet?

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
I reckon 33% would probably say yes.

To the other 67%:
1585959557899.png

EternalSunset0

1. Probably gonna do it once or twice for the lols while betting a non-dangerous amount of money like 20 dollars.
2. Very little. Probably 1 out of 20 or something.
3. Mean
4. Not really. Probably gonna skim through it. I would look at his social status I guess, and what effects him becoming rich would have for society, or at least how it affects me.

Milk.Milkan

Me Milk, me smart.

2. What do you think is the likelihood that a random stranger would double your money?

4. Imagine that you are the stranger, and the Magical Girl approaches you about someone who bet $1,000,000. She hands you the person's biography, which is extremely thick and about the size of a textbook. Would you bother to read it very carefully? What factors would consider when deciding to approve/reject someone else's bet?
1. Eeh...why not?
2. 1 out of 10.
3. People r generally nice but nice doesnt mean giving or allowing money just cuz with or without a bio.
4. Ill just flip through the pages for a search of things i strongly disagree with. If dere r non dat whatever. If dere r yes dan it depends on number of things and how problematic dey r.

Yamemai

I'd have to know more about the 2nd point; like would the stranger have to payout the doubled sum? If so, then no I wouldn't, because the chances of them doubling it would become slim to none.

Though, if the money would just magically multiple, then yeah, would bet something like a thousand.

Depends on if they have to pay the double; if they do, then it depends on the amount, though would still be low.
If they don't, still low, but higher.

Uhh, neutral? Though, if I had to pick, maybe nice? Due to how society works as a whole.

No, I wouldn't read it; had always hated biographies. Depends on if I had to actually shell out the money. If the money just gets duplicated (magically or otherwise), then yeah, why not. No reason not to.
If I had to pay the amount, so it doubles, then nah.

Last edited:

minacia

perpetually sour
I'd have to know more about the 2nd point; like would the stranger have to payout the doubled sum? If so, then no I wouldn't, because the chances of them doubling it would become slim to none.

Though, if the money would just magically multiple, then yeah, would bet something like a thousand.
It magically doubles

Sure, 20% of everything I own in a monetary figure

66%

Neither, people are just people with impulses and desires, but as an act of social conformity and in order to protect the social functions created by empathy-altruism people have a need to appear nice. And most people act nice without knowing why or understand it on a deeper level.

Short answer people are nice even when they want to be mean., I.E if the people that are genuinely nice are addied on top people that are pretending to be nice due to social pressures, a majority of people will be acting nice regardless of intent.

So yes most people act nice,

Subjectively and clinically. Read the entire book, all acts are valued as positive value or negative value. some acts more points, some act less. if the resulting tally is a positive number be it 1 or 1000 it will be an approval. And even if it just a negative 1 it will be rejection.

Cut and dry.

MasterHiatus

I am back
Let me do the math
I own no money
So it would be a risk for me to bet but if I am to choose, I'll bet $400
After that, I would wish that people will be kind to my lonely ass. Actually, after doing the math I learnt that the chances of me winning is 0.000000001% (Not official but probably).

So let's talk abut the place, if its in canada, I might win but sadly, I am in some country far away of canada so we can assume that fairy will pick random people from my country.

Oh I love gacha :blob_hide: :blob_evil: :blob_evil: :blob_evil: :blob_evil:

pyrak

Screw the money bio book... There's magic to be learning!

Proceeds to pester the Magical Girl of Evil and Darkness into teaching me magic or getting me to where I can learn magic.

Kldran

I'd play the game and bet $0. Then someone gets to read my life story, and the answer they give does not matter. Mostly it'd just be to see the reaction, and how long it takes for the other party to realize what I've just done.

Yamemai

It magically doubles
orz should have bet more, especially if the MG states that to the other person.

Edit: I wonder, what would happen if someone bets an almost inconceivable amount, like a quadrillion USD/Pound/whatever, basically something no current man could be able to make; how would one go about paying that back? Would she take it out from alternate lives as well? -- Would ask this, so I can see if reincarnation is a thing or not :P

What would happen if the money was actually doubled? Broken economy? Goes to jail because of fraud?

Last edited:

GDLiZy

Tale Admirer
You don’t know who the magical girl might pick (it’s random) and you have no direct way to communicate with them
I can make significant things and attach the message into it easily. "Write a book title 'If You Help Me, I Will Give Half of It to You' "

minacia

perpetually sour
I can make significant things and attach the message into it easily. "Write a book title 'If You Help Me, I Will Give Half of It to You' "
But I mean, only if you had enough time to prepare? Otherwise the magical girl has you on the spot.