Would you learn a spell that you have a scroll for?

Would you?

• Yes

Votes: 22 91.7%
  • No

Votes: 2 8.3%

• Total voters

NotaNuffian

This does spark joy.
In my example, I am using a mage/ mystic arts cultivator as a model, but it can be applied to LitRPG and consumables.

Picture this, you are a mage who makes magic scrolls for a living and said scrolls have a myriad of uses like offensive types and healing types. Then one day, you discover the formulas of spells and can now learn to use them without using the scrolls, would you learn them or not? Please note down your reasoning.

The pros and cons of using a scroll is as following:

Pros:
1. Instant cast/ No casting time
2. Uses no/ little amount of own mana to activate.

Cons:
1. Takes time and effort to prepare beforehand.
2. Consumables/ Limited amount.

This is NOT AN EITHER OR question, you are still using the scrolls, except that if you choose to learn the spells, you have the option to cast them instead of using a scroll everytime.

Last edited:

Maze_Runner

□■ - I like running in mazes - ■□
In my example, I am using a mage/ mystic arts cultivator as a model, but it can be applied to LitRPG and consumables.

Picture this, you are a mage who makes magic scrolls for a living and said scrolls have a myriad of uses like offensive types and healing types. Then one day, you discover the formulas of spells and can now learn to use them without using the scrolls, would you learn them or not? Please note down your reasoning.

Pros:

Cons:

This is NOT AN EITHER OR question, you are still using the scrolls, except that if you choose to learn the spells, you have the option to cast them instead of using a scroll everytime.
Why wouldn't you? You're just too lazy or somethin? God if I got the chance to cast magic spells, hell yeah I will!

Ilikewaterkusa

You have to take out their families...

Pros:

Cons:

It's basically asking if you want a benefit or not. lol

NotaNuffian

This does spark joy.
Why wouldn't you? You're just too lazy or somethin? God if I got the chance to cast magic spells, hell yeah I will!
It's basically asking if you want a benefit or not. lol
Both of you said the same thing that I thought of, it is supposed to be a no brainer, but apparently, CN MCs do lack that brain.

His argument is "I already have the scroll version of it, why do I need to waste my time/ resource to learn it?"

I was face tabling.

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
Is there a spell for changing my son's diaper? Hell yes, I'd learn that! He'd be trying to rip the scrolls to shreds if I left them around the house.

RICHIESPIDER505

Pros:

Cons:

I will choose both learn spells and used scroll.I chose both case u can make money from selling scroll and at same time learn how to fuse and control mana and elements.This way u make money use learn spells more easier/wiser and how used fused elements and make new spills with exactly control over them.Second why reason I will chose both scroll is plan be if u a person had fright many people os u can switch between scroll and spell and healing/drink mana potion.their man I will chose both but these are many reason

RavenRunes

Filth Wizard
It is a no brainer. If you're a mage, surely you take knowledge in every form you can get it. Learning's part of the job. Dude just lazy.

owotrucked

Isekai express delivery
It depends how important the spell is, if I can copy/craft/buy not too cheap scrolls, and the opportunity cost (skill points for core spells, brain space, time better used for other important task).

So the answer can vary a lot depending on the circumstances and the person you're asking.

SakeVision

Sama/kisama
Both of you said the same thing that I thought of, it is supposed to be a no brainer, but apparently, CN MCs do lack that brain.

His argument is "I already have the scroll version of it, why do I need to waste my time/ resource to learn it?"

I was face tabling.

man is lazy

understandable

halfBlooming

I was face tabling.
It's no surprise coming from CN MCs. Might also add them being able to produce 1.000 scrolls per day, and their production cost per unit is 5-10% compared to its selling price.

Zirrboy

Fueled by anger
The learned pro/cons are needed to make a definitive statement.

Unless the materials for the scrolls are a huge deal, the own casting would be more or less a fail safe. The scrolls cast faster, more consistently and you can make an arbitrarily large amount. Assuming that "low mana cost" on the scrolls means that casting by heart is more expensive, you can similarly only use so many before you're as helpless as without scrolls.

Both material acquisition and production of the scrolls are more easily expandable. Lacking mana regeneration on the other hand sounds harder to mitigate.

So are learned spells worth main-ing? If not, is the time it takes to learn really worth the free charges you get?
It's not even necessarily a lasting investment in the scope of cultivation power creep.