Would you post on WebNovel?

Would you post on WebNovel?

• Total voters

doravg

106/4001 (too lazy to count the stories again.)
I posted just the first chapter of one of my stories there. People come from webnovel to read it here. Free advertisement! I would never post a whole story there, since they claim the copyright of all stories on the site.

chippubo12

I posted just the first chapter of one of my stories there. People come from webnovel to read it here. Free advertisement! I would never post a whole story there, since they claim the copyright of all stories on the site.
bruh did they?

MrPopocap

I was of the belief that posting anything on WebNovel means signing some contract at some point anyway, but I kind of had trouble figuring out their clunk site. It's always been a no for me, but I also never had any intention to sign anything like that. Are you implying that authors can post there for free and get free views without any contracts? And if so, is it worth it?
It could be that all the my works are fanfics, but I was never offered a contract. Even if they did offer me one, I would reject it anyway.

And yes you can post there with no trouble, for free, no contract binding you.

If it's worth... that depends on you, what you're looking for and if you believe their numbers. Like , my fanfics have 6m views combined but I DOUBT that is the real number. I always respond the comments here , on RR and WN , and the number of comments I receive on WN are the double I receive on the other sites.

Follow your gut.

Alski

Haven't touched that PoS since its Qidian days, Im sure its changed a fair bit in the last decade but the level of shit that is stuck on the name will never go away.

Zagaroth

From what I have seen, it *can* be incredibly profitable, but I want to write the story my way, and my understanding of their level of control, if you sign a contract with them, is unacceptable.

Especially as most of the stories in my head take place on the same world. This would create difficulties if I decided to publish the other stories elsewhere later.

So no, I am going nowhere near web novel.

beast_regards

It's up to you.

What you need to keep in mind is that the Webnovel and Royal Road operate under different business models (even if both are shady)

Royal Road is a social media.

The Webnovel is the publisher.

If you post on Webnovel without any prior legal arrangement, nothing would happen. Yes, your work would be copied to other sites, but the Royal Road does that too.

When you sign a deal with Webnovel, that is when things start happening.

Whatever you do, do not sign the contract.

It is a legally binding one. What it does is that you transfer ownership of your story exclusively for Webnovel (a.k.a. Quidian) and you have a job deal when you must deliver 800 words a day to them. If you don't, you are fired and their writer takes your place (since you are no longer the owner of the story; they are). Only way how to legally null and void the contract is when they fail to pay you while you deliver the content. Your pay is so low it is impossible for them to not pay, and the quota is so high it is impossible for you to deliver on long term. This is entirely legal. It may not be ethical, but corporation aren't ethical. It is practically the equivalent of the patent transfer, just done with intellectual property, where the production is secretly (but legally) transferred to China.

Bartun

Friendly Saurian Neighbor
I posted my novel on Webnovel. Your views increase by the thousands each day but all of them are bots. No one actually read my story while it was there, never got any feedback or anything, and the only comment I got was an offer for publishing that was probably a scam. :s_frown:

Kamelingil

Multiversal Author
Actually, I first published my novels in there but I almost signed a contract for it after seeing how many people are angry about it. Thank God I looked it up, so I let my novel free to read.
I posted my novel on Webnovel. Your views increase by the thousands each day but all of them are bots. No one actually read my story while it was there, never got any feedback or anything, and the only comment I got was an offer for publishing that was probably a scam. :s_frown:
I agree, it boasted my motivation but I realized it was all fake, because there's no comments or any signs of real people reading it.