Writing Deadlines...to be or not to be?

• Thread starter Deleted member 29316
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 29316

Have you ever tried imposing a deadline on yourself? Did you even try to reach that date with your work done? If so, how did you do it, and how long's the duration?

I've read an article before that recommends giving yourself a deadline on when to work the manuscript. The writer suggested doing the entire story for the span of three weeks to a month, and with good reason. She claims that the longer you take in finishing your story, the greater the chances that you would want to edit and rewrite the work again and again...putting you in the never-ending process of write and rewrite.

Well, not that it's a bad thing, though I believe the 'rewrite' card should be sparingly used once the story was published.

I did try the suggestion, and it worked well for me. The key lies in how good I planned the story (plotting, themes, genres, etc.). I gave myself three to six weeks of writing in each volume that I've done, and so far, I've written five volumes for my story in the span of a year (yep, I work as a teacher). I took a break in-between the volumes, so as not to burn myself out.

However, it's not a rigid process. The deadline, as well as the development of the story while being written is flexible, so as not to put too much pressure on myself.

So, how about you? What's your way to motivate yourself to finish an arc, or a volume, in your work aside from reader feedback?

Nakama_the_witnesser

I don't plan or impose a deadline on myself. Simply on the basis that I don't like forcing myself. Because nothing good comes out of forcing oneself. It is best to flow like a river and let the words fly out when the time comes. And if I constantly have to force myself to write that simply means that writing has lost all joy to me and I better find a more meaningful activity that gives me joy.

D

Deleted member 29316

I don't plan or impose a deadline on myself. Simply on the basis that I don't like forcing myself. Because nothing good comes out of forcing oneself. It is best to flow like a river and let the words fly out when the time comes. And if I constantly have to force myself to write that simply means that writing has lost all joy to me and I better find a more meaningful activity that gives me joy.

Interesting point-of-view. But then again, it's not a rigid deadline. More like it's a flexible one, where you can always remove it anytime you wish.

While I do get your point that forcing yourself to do something you don't want is not good, how about giving yourself a push? Something that would give you consistency?

Because, you know, most writers (like me) tend to procastinate.

yansusustories

Matchmaker of Handsome Men
I don't have a deadline for when I'm supposed to finish writing a project and I don't think it would work for me since I write several projects at once so it's hard to make a good guess of how long it could/should take. I do have a schedule for the chapters though which I think is pretty much like a deadline as well. As long as you keep to the schedule, the arcs and volumes will be finished sooner or later. At least it works that way for me.

Where I do use deadlines is for the final editing process though because otherwise, I'd always screw up with that :blob_sweat: I'm just notoriously bad when the whole thing is basically finished and I just need to go over it one more time before I can publish it. I don't know, the whole process of that is just kinda tedious to me so I tend to love pushing it off.

Moonpearl

The Yuri Empress
I've been writing to a deadline for the past few months because of the Yuri Garden anthology. For the first one, I had four weeks to write the first draft and two weeks to edit. For the other two, I had to write them before the end of this month and in the minimum amount of time (so a maximum of 1 month for 2 stories).

It's been... Interesting? It has pushed me to write, but the results are mixed. I'm the most proud of my first story, with the longest time to write. And I kind of prefer my writing style when I'm not being rushed.

As of now, I'm just looking forward to writing at my own pace again.

JayDirex

I keep a flexible deadline of a week per chapter. flexible as, if I don't finish it I should have at least 75% of it done.

I find it fascinating when we ask these types of questions. it gets a glimpse into the mind of each author. some people are writing machines, some people update once a month. and I find it weird people who can write everyday. I can't do that. I have to decompress and think about the story, think about the next scene, sleep on it.

errrbody's different~

DubstheDuke

My writing schedule is daily. I have a minimum chapter length, and write one chapter a day (Sometimes two if I feel extra motivated.)
As far as specifically finishing arcs or volumes, I tend to be relatively lax on that. My opinion is that if I try to rush things then they won't be as good as they otherwise would have, so if I feel like I should take my time and build up a character with backstory and development then I will. If I feel like there is a small scene that will supplement my writing, I'll put it in. I'm not gonna force myself to finish an arc faster than I need. And if I think of a completely new scene or go completely off track, that's fine! Actually, I created an entire character which ended up being a key piece in the entire story arc, on accident. If I had tried to hurry up and get to the story, I would not have been able to write something as good. Point being, I always have a goal and I always will be working towards it, but how long it takes is not of consequence. What matters is that it's done well.

D

Deleted member 29316

Thank you for your replies.

Just like what JayDirex said, it's a glimpse on the mind of each author to know your answers. One thing I got here is that it's nice to have a goal (like a deadline) but be flexible on it.

Mine's based on disciplining myself to stay focused on the goal 'till I reached and finish it. As stated in my previous post (the Edits), I don't want a repeat of another "10-year-in-the-making" story. I just want to finish it, and be decisive about it.

But the quality doesn't have to be sacrificed, of course. So I take breaks in-between writing arcs/volumes, which also depend on my moood to write. I only impose discipline (and schedules) once I began the writing process itself.

Again, planning ahead and then putting the details and scenes later (while writing) will work on this style.

In the end, it felt great I managed to finish a book with quality I'm confident to have the readers take a look.

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
I have a flexible deadline. Okay, less of a deadline and more of a monthly goal to have 1 chapter out every month. I find this to be more lenient, and allows the early 20 days of every month to go for planning and development. Only then I start writing and editing.

D

Deleted member 29316

I keep a flexible deadline of a week per chapter. flexible as, if I don't finish it I should have at least 75% of it done.

I find it fascinating when we ask these types of questions. it gets a glimpse into the mind of each author. some people are writing machines, some people update once a month. and I find it weird people who can write everyday. I can't do that. I have to decompress and think about the story, think about the next scene, sleep on it.

errrbody's different~

Well, we all have our own working styles.

Mine's based on short-bursts of energy to write (which is also compatible with setting deadlines). I'm pretty spontaneous when it comes to writing and drawing that I often lose focus, so I have to discipline myself to reach a goal.

D

Deleted member 29316

I have a flexible deadline. Okay, less of a deadline and more of a monthly goal to have 1 chapter out every month. I find this to be more lenient, and allows the early 20 days of every month to go for planning and development. Only then I start writing and editing.

I got a friend who writes like that and his writing is great (though he doesn't upload his works online).

SwirlyUnicorn

vous me voyez
Yeah giving myself a deadline to finish writing a chapter works for me because I just want to challange myself a bit but if I don't feel like writing a chapter, ( because of my ever changing mood lol or I'm just plainly lazy) then I won't force myself. The reason why I am writing is because I enjoy doing it.

my current one is to write 40k words for the adventum contest. not sure i can make it, since i don't like to force myself to write and my chapters are short.

but i will just forget about it and write however i like best :D /

D

Deleted member 29316

my current one is to write 40k words for the adventum contest. not sure i can make it, since i don't like to force myself to write and my chapters are short.

but i will just forget about it and write however i like best :D /

Try dividing it, like for example, for this week there'd 10k words, or something along those lines. Not only it would be easier to attain, the feeling of actually accomplishing something is encouraging!

D

Deleted member 29316

Yeah giving myself a deadline to finish writing a chapter works for me because I just want to challange myself a bit but if I don't feel like writing a chapter, ( because of my ever changing mood lol or I'm just plainly lazy) then I won't force myself. The reason why I am writing is because I enjoy doing it.

Yep, definitely stay chill. Think of the deadline as a reference, not as a standard.

It's pretty important we have that push while writing so that, not only we would accomplish something, but the feeling of finishing a goal is encouraging as well.

Because, honestly, the tendency to procastinate while writing is strong. 😂😂😂

Try dividing it, like for example, for this week there'd 10k words, or something along those lines. Not only it would be easier to attain, the feeling of actually accomplishing something is encouraging!

>10k words in one week
>easier to attain

stop asking for the impossible man xD

my usual pace isn't even 1/5 of that, actually and i would hate myself if i force myself to write a lot just for the word count.

WhoCares

Honestly I think my opinion on and use of deadlines changed so much while writing my first story. I spent a long time planning out the characters and story before writing and mostly stuck to a weekly schedule at first until eventually going for a breakneck one chapter a day pace for a little bit before realizing it was leading to crap writing at which point I went back to a more leisurely, it's done when it's done pace (could be misremembering, it's been a while).
Personally, I think deadlines are less useful than people think they are. They are useful in giving you time to have something that you can then edit or work on, for sure, but as long as you're trying to post it on a site like this in a serialized manner, I'd say the only effect they have is in forcing you to push out less than stellar writing.
That being said, if it's about getting a manuscript ready for publishing I can see why deadlines can be helpful in getting you to have something that you can then work with an editor on. Then again, that's more a result of the publishing industry and its own pace rather than a commitment to good literature so eh?
tl;dr it depends but I personally think they're not as great as people say they are.

Leti

I do have deadlines for my projects. The time limit is before I stopped living or the world ends. I can do pretty much everything before then.