Writing fantasy novel for the first time

DeviousColony69

So like, I want to try something for a change of pace and fantasy genres seems to hook me up. I already have the plot (and the ending), the characters and the possible scenarios in my notebook but I still don't have any idea how to execute it. Do you have any tips and advice on how to start writing a fantasy novel?

Poleg

King of the birds and the fish.
So like, I want to try something for a change of pace and fantasy genres seems to hook me up. I already have the plot (and the ending), the characters and the possible scenarios in my notebook but I still don't have any idea how to execute it. Do you have any tips and advice on how to start writing a fantasy novel?
Please, just don't make another fantasy los Angeles.

SailusGebel

Already done typing the first chapter but I still some insights from writers like you
You have the plot and ending, you have the characters, you have notes, you even have the first chapter done. In my opinion, you've got everything you need to start writing. Now you simply need to actually write, type.

DeviousColony69

You have the plot and ending, you have the characters, you have notes, you even have the first chapter done. In my opinion, you've got everything you need to start writing. Now you simply need to actually write, type.
It's just that there is something missing: the people, the world building, the environment. Think of it like two dots facing each other. That's what my current situation is right now.

What I'm trying to say is that, I need people who actually wrote fantasy writing to give me some views or the things that you do when you want to write these kind of things.

D

Deleted member 54065

1) In writing fantasy, the 'sky is the limit'. I mean, know the rules and tropes, then bend them. It makes the story interesting.
2) A lore within a lore. Writing a sort of a 'legend' inside your story will attract reader interest and makes your work immersive.

As for the elements, like the people, the world itself and the environment, try to look for inspirations, then apply your own ideas. For example, in my work, The Human Saint is Bored, the human world, Chersea, is based on medieval European society (as is the common fantasy trope). However, I removed some of the other conventions, like the day-and-night cycle (Chersea has its 'sun' shining round the clock, that they don't even have a clock), and as consequence, they developed a culture distinct from the usual medieval societies of other fantasies.

So how did I do this?

Before I went to write the first chapter of my story, I planned how my world's society will work. The usual aspects: Government, Society and Family, Education, and Other Culture, are already outlined and defined, so that whenever I get confused while in the middle of writing, I have a 'ready' reference. Always keep in mind the 'cause and effect'. Whatever you decide to be their culture, custom and/or tradition will have an effect to how they interact with your MC (who also have his/her own set of beliefs).

Oh and yes, don't forget, the characters actions should have an effect on the world, or else, it won't be believeable. (Like the principle of 'Butterfly Effect'.)

Last edited by a moderator:

Jemini

Not sure what genre you typically write, but in fantasy systems, you still have 2 more essential steps for the preparatory phase. You need to figure out your world-building (what kind of fantasy creatures are around, how does the fantasy magic interact with the politics and daily life in the world, ext.) and your magic system (how exactly does magic work in your world?)

How do people know the ending of their story before even starting? I don't even know how a chapter is going to end before I am done.

Poleg

King of the birds and the fish.
It's just that there is something missing: the people, the world building, the environment. Think of it like two dots facing each other. That's what my current situation is right now.

What I'm trying to say is that, I need people who actually wrote fantasy writing to give me some views or the things that you do when you want to write these kind of things.
When I write, I like to make obscure reverences to places or people of the past.
History can be a great Inspiration.

SailusGebel

Then think about stuff that worries you and work on it. If you don't have a worldbuilding, make it. Take notes of other fantasy worlds, think what you want to do with it, etc. In my opinion, you should ask yourself, what do you want to do, and what is missing to do it. And then you should simply work on the parts that are missing.

Domoviye

When I write, I like to make obscure reverences to places or people of the past.
History can be a great Inspiration.
Good advice here.
In my story Necromancer Unmanned, I've been building up the Church of Mother Sun and Father Moon. Every once in a while I add in some details, such as a reformation 300 years ago, a bible like Creed of The Mother, how they defend against the Abyss, and things like that. It's a part of daily life so I drop in bits and pieces, with curses, oaths, the priesthood wandering around doing things in the background, etc.

With Doom Valley Prep School, the Mad Immortal Emperor of Arp is commonly brought up, because he's older than the current gods, and more powerful as well, he rules the largest nation in the world and has ruled some part of it for over 5000 years. He's always getting his nose into things and making it weird. So in school his actions are frequently talked about, his 357th daughter gets a lot of respect because of him, and he'll occasionally be brought up over something he's done that makes big news. He isn't important to the story itself, he's just part of what makes up the world.

Holder-of-the-metal-bat

I heard somewhere that there are two types of writers: the gardeners who write things as they come and trim the story when necessary, and the architects who prepare everything in advance so that they know exactly what to do and when to do it.

In the first case, yes you can simply write a few chapters and see if they feel good enough to read. Maybe find someone for an alpha or beta reading to give you feedback and try to improve what is lacking or what there is too much of. Then when you think you got the right feels, go for it.

In the other case, find reference books, videos or stories of things that make the various elements of your story realistic. Take notes, create psychological profiles, ... Do what you think must be done. There are people like Timothy Hickson who have whole YouTube channels about writing fantasy for example. Or look up historical events or cultures on Wikipedia, that could also help.

Anyway, you'll have to write a few chapters at one point to see if this feels good to write so I guess at one point or another you have to do both...

Le_ther

Same but it's much better to setup a deadline or a plan and start writing right now.