Writing outside your comfort zone

Paul_Tromba

Sleep deprived mess of a published author
If I didn't then it would take forever to get better.

WinterTimeCrime

Aggressive-Loving Snowflake
I like learning new things, so writing outside my comfort zone is a must. For one of my books, I researched a ton of different scientific tech, astrology, cosmology, and space; While in others, I used what I knew from my travels and had the setting in countries like Germany, England, and even Edo, Japan. Writing is a fantastic experience for lifelong learners, because I feel I'll always go the extra mile to give my reader something interesting to read.

Dieter

the Writer
I don't get time to write because I'm too busy expanding my comfort zone—Reading guidebooks, criticisms, to the classics and poetry.

ACertainPassingUser

I like to read novels, so I thought it's better for me to learn how to write my own novel too.

But later on, I realized that I suck at writing and I don't really like writing either. I can't even write proper dialogue since idk how proper realistic interaction works. Plus I also realized my talent is only reading and writing in English. Writing prompts and random concept the best I can do.

So I gave up and just enjoy writings that you're all suffering while making, and criticize with bias just for me to vent out my unregulated raw emotions that might hazardous to others.

Hahahaha
Just write and suffer you all
I want to see your fighting and debate
I will read them all to enjoy myself.

avaseofpeonies

your cool weird auntie
I think that's all I do, but trying to approach it all with enough objectivity to make a good story out of it sure is helping me work through some stuff.

Ssthat

Boo Tao Main
i try, im not the best at world building and it shows but im gonna work on it in future chapters

TheEldritchGod

A Cloud Of Pure Spite And Eyes
My comfort zone is so wide it's hard to find something out of it.

CapitaoCaverna

I try, I'm currently writing a smut fic to try and improve that side of my work without damaging my original stories.

I'm also have trouble with conversations, keeping things both realistic and entertaining is hard for me and, sometimes it feel forced.

While I'm working on my original story I tend to experiment with fanfiction to try and improve my work, it's something I find fun and I don't mind too much when I mess up.

Also, I like trying to write in the voice of a character I didn't create, particularly someone with a different personality that I wouldn't normally create, it's harder than I thought but helps me develop different voices for my original characters so they feel even more unique.

Domoviye

Yes, if I don't push myself, I won't improve.
But I have to admit I have a very wide comfort zone, so getting out of it takes a bit of work.

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
I don't right now because I'm too busy comforting my kid most of the time and comforting myself when I'm not comforting him. Parenting is brutal. 3/10 do not recommend.

Kidd_Wadsworth

I write about dragons. So, no I never write about what I don't know. I breath fire all the time. Big, Magical, Eats people for breakfast . . . Yup, now you know why I have flames for my avatar.

--Kidd

IdleYoungMaster

Yes.
Writing lemons is a difficult task for me. Due to some inexplicable forces messing up my mind, I can't help but stop at every three lines and feel awkward with it. That's why I took over 3 days just to finish a 2,000 words chapter.
Going outside your comfort zone helps you grow better as a writer, yes, but those dao demons do come and give you a visit whenever you do so.
Objectively, Recommended 100/10.
Subjectively, Personal Experience 1.2/10 (I don't want to feel like that again, but I have no choice if I want to learn :v)

Kidd_Wadsworth

I try, I'm currently writing a smut fic to try and improve that side of my work without damaging my original stories.

I'm also have trouble with conversations, keeping things both realistic and entertaining is hard for me and, sometimes it feel forced.

While I'm working on my original story I tend to experiment with fanfiction to try and improve my work, it's something I find fun and I don't mind too much when I mess up.

Also, I like trying to write in the voice of a character I didn't create, particularly someone with a different personality that I wouldn't normally create, it's harder than I thought but helps me develop different voices for my original characters so they feel even more unique.
What's truly fantastic is when your character, the one that is so different from yourself, starts talking to you in your head. That's when "voice" gets in your work. That's when your characters start to pop off the page. That's when you can't stop writing.

--Kidd