Writing Outside Your Genre

CupcakeNinja

Pervert Supreme
So yeah. How hard do you think it would be?

I ask because I'm reading a webtoon right now about a mediocre author who finds some dead author's things in a box and can suddenly write a lot better. In the current scene, he's talking to some arrogant piece of shit former classmate of his and the guy is saying, "you're a fantasy author, but how hard can it be? Its fantasy, its not like you have to think too deeply about it."

The MC replies, "How do you know when you haven't written fantasy before?"

Granted, writing fantasy IS easy. Compared to other genres, that is. Why? Because you can basically write anything you want. The laws of physics itself can be your bitch. Thats not to say the story is going to be good, as this isn't the only factor. But fantasy is probably among the easist genres to write simply because of how much freedom it gives you.

And of course, some people will find writing fantasy hard, but still.

Now, that aside, i feel like i could write most any genre DECENTLY well as long as i take it seriously instead of fucking around like i usually do for my more comedy-centric stories. They may not be great, or even very good, but they'd be stone-cold decent if nothing else.

Romance/erotica? Action/Adventure? Sci-fi? Historical fiction? I feel like i can do any of those so long as i actually do a bit of research to support then, especially for the historical ones. And i already write stories with several of these aspects. They aren't pure romance, or action, but yeah.

The only genres i feel would be very challenging to me right now? Detective/mystery and suspense/horror. And even then, mainly the detective stuff because I never read those types of stories. But hell, even I've read Goosebumps before. So while those are more for kids, i think i can get the hang of it if i read more horror. But Detective works i think would be hard no matter what cuz that requires so much thought if its an adult-oriented series and i just dont like to do that. Think

So anyway, yeah. How hard do YOU guys think it would be to write outside your main genres? Have you tried? What was your experience?

KoyukiMegumi

Kitty
Uhhhhhhhhhhh very hard. My brain doesn't work unless there is smut involved. I don't think I can write anything with out it.

Same with romance... I am a hopeless romantic. So impossible, yet I am sure I can write anything as long as I have these two in there. :blob_melt:

But then some don't mix... So idk, i write what I like. My ideas usually come from a dream. My brain can't do it otherwise.:blob_hide:

CupcakeNinja

Pervert Supreme
Uhhhhhhhhhhh very hard. My brain doesn't work unless there is smut involved. I don't think I can write anything with out it.

Same with romance... I am a hopeless romantic. So impossible, yet I am sure I can write anything as long as I have these two in there. :blob_melt:

But then some don't mix... So idk, i write what I like. My ideas usually come from a dream. My brain can't do it otherwise.:blob_hide:
you can deffo do some smut in a good fantasy setting. Imagine fucking a girl over the ledge of a building, and only the use of magic is preventing you both from plummeting and you can only barely focus on keeping it activated. Some fantastical scenes can be done, that's for sure.

Anon_Y_Mousse

Semicolon Enjoyer
Tbh, you can bullshit just as good in sci-fi and supernatural as you can in fantasy. Like inventing terms such as quasi-judicial fluctuators or quantum buttplugs. Stuff like historical and sports require research but I can probably write a novel on the world war and swimming. What makes it hard to write outside of your main genre is when you're not interested in writing about it. Like I can't write smut to save my life even with all the lewd jokes I make.

Last edited:

KiraMinoru

Untitled Generic Member
The only genres i feel would be very challenging to me right now? Detective/mystery and suspense/horror. And even then, mainly the detective stuff because I never read those types of stories. But hell, even I've read Goosebumps before. So while those are more for kids, i think i can get the hang of it if i read more horror. But Detective works i think would be hard no matter what cuz that requires so much thought if its an adult-oriented series and i just dont like to do that. Think
You underestimate the difficulty of suspense/horror/mystery. In a written format there are no jump scares, it’s all about atmosphere. Goosebumps? I can’t even remember that scaring me once when I was a kid. Those books felt more about the game to me than anything. I don’t even remember a single Goosebumps story either, that’s how little an impression they left on me. I’ve written a suspense/horror/mystery before but I can hardly call it anything impressive.

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
I'm sure I could do it, but I wouldn't enjoy it, so what would be the point?

SakeVision

Sama/kisama
Romance is hard, I can't write it without devolving into parody.

CupcakeNinja

Pervert Supreme
You underestimate the difficulty of suspense/horror/mystery. In a written format there are no jump scares, it’s all about atmosphere. Goosebumps? I can’t even remember that scaring me once when I was a kid. Those books felt more about the game to me than anything. I don’t even remember a single Goosebumps story either, that’s how little an impression they left on me. I’ve written a suspense/horror/mystery before but I can hardly call it anything impressive.
well to be fair thats just the first that came to mind, and not even the books but the TV series. When i said horror, i should've mentioned I've read some Stephen King stories instead. Which i have, so i dunno why the fuck i went with Goosebumps lol. Probably cuz i saw the title when i was browsing shit to watch the other day.

With written horror stories, jumpscares are basically nonexistent. It relies on...eerieness? Disturbia, dread? Yeah. That cold at the back of your neck, that hair-rising sense of wrongness.

Its probably also very psychological. Which i can definitely find interest in. I usually need good examples to choose from to write certain things, personally. Thats why i said I'm pretty confident i can write most things decent. We as writers just have so many examples of great stories from all these genres that its always pretty odd to me that a lot of us don't think to use them more often, know what i mean?

I mean when i need inspiration to write a certain scene, i think back on when i read a similar scene and go and try to find the book online to re-read it. Thats how i usually do thinks if i get stuck, at least
I'm sure I could do it, but I wouldn't enjoy it, so what would be the point?
not saying you have to. I'm more of a guy who'd try it if i felt interested enough, though. Which i guess is the same as enjoying it. I can read or listen to most kinds stories or music, now that i think of it. Suppose that means im fairly easy to please.

blanksphere

I don't think I can ever get myself to write smut, mecha, and sports.
Everything else is fine, I think, if I just do some research and planning. I've never tried. However, I rather not write something that'll give me any unwarranted struggles. It's already tough for me to write within genres I prefer.

KiraMinoru

Untitled Generic Member
Its probably also very psychological. Which i can definitely find interest in. I usually need good examples to choose from to write certain things, personally. Thats why i said I'm pretty confident i can write most things decent. We as writers just have so many examples of great stories from all these genres that its always pretty odd to me that a lot of us don't think to use them more often, know what i mean?
It is heavily reliant on psychology. Picking away at the readers deepest fears and instilling a sense of unease. Evoking an atmosphere around them where they feel like something or someone is watching them while reading when there was never anything there at all. You push them until they’re forced to constantly check over their shoulder to make sure nothing is really there.

Even the smallest insignificant sound around them when reading leaves them unsettled. But that something or someone lurking and looming in the shadows never shows themselves. You are never shown what is really there. Even if shown a glimpse, you can’t understand it, what is happening. Why it’s happening. You wear away at them over time until they feel cornered exactly like the character.

The scariest thing isn’t what you see but what you don’t see in horror.

CupcakeNinja

Pervert Supreme
It is heavily reliant on psychology. Picking away at the readers deepest fears and instilling a sense of unease. Evoking an atmosphere around them where they feel like something or someone is watching them while reading when there was never anything there at all. You push them until they’re forced to constantly check over their shoulder to make sure nothing is really there.

Even the smallest insignificant sound around them when reading leaves them unsettled. But that something or someone lurking and looming in the shadows never shows themselves. You are never shown what is really there. Even if shown a glimpse, you can’t understand it, what is happening. Why it’s happening. You wear away at them over time until they feel cornered exactly like the character.

The scariest thing isn’t what you see but what you don’t see in horror.
Definitely. I've noticed that whenever i found something to be scary, its largely atmospheric. Like it feels like it triggers my fight or flight. But not being able to see what the fuck I'm supposed to fight or flee FROM. So of course I start to get paranoid as hell.

Hm. I dont think I'd be able to write something like that right now, after all. I get into certain...mindsets when I start writing or reading a particular kind of genre too much. Makes it harder to switch gears.

I swear to God, and I seriously mean this, that I think my writing skills description-wise took a HUGE hit when I started almost exclusively reading japanese stories.

Ever since I got out of school I've only been reading asian webnovels. And as I said many times before, japanese works are just largely threadbare when it comes to descriptive storytelling. Feels like I've forgotten a lot of what i used to know how to write ever since then. I mean i know i still could, i just gotta start reading quality works again instead of absorbing all these trashy isekai harems I'm currently addicted to.

Anyway, this talk of horror makes me remember a Vsauce video I saw about "what is creepiness" or something. Was pretty interesting

KiraMinoru

Untitled Generic Member
Definitely. I've noticed that whenever i found something to be scary, its largely atmospheric. Like it feels like it triggers my fight or flight. But not being able to see what the fuck I'm supposed to fight or flee FROM. So of course I start to get paranoid as hell.

Hm. I dont think I'd be able to write something like that right now, after all. I get into certain...mindsets when I start writing or reading a particular kind of genre too much. Makes it harder to switch gears.

I swear to God, and I seriously mean this, that I think my writing skills description-wise took a HUGE hit when I started almost exclusively reading japanese stories.

Ever since I got out of school I've only been reading asian webnovels. And as I said many times before, japanese works are just largely threadbare when it comes to descriptive storytelling. Feels like I've forgotten a lot of what i used to know how to write ever since then. I mean i know i still could, i just gotta start reading quality works again instead of absorbing all these trashy isekai harems I'm currently addicted to.

Anyway, this talk of horror makes me remember a Vsauce video I saw about "what is creepiness" or something. Was pretty interesting
Yeah, once your mindset changes getting back to writing that genre becomes almost impossible. It’s kind of like switching through different phases of your life as an author. But eventually, you get tired of writing one specific type of genre all the time and you branch out into another as a change of pace. It becomes pretty refreshing when you don’t have to constantly think, ‘Is this funny enough?’ when writing comedy for example. Though for horror you eventually just start constantly thinking, ‘Is this scary enough?’ anyway.

As for the heavy descriptions, I feel like only scenes you really want people to remember deserve them. Everything between those moments are just fluff as far as I’m concerned, just meant for light entertainment to pass the time. So I’ve adopted a hybrid style for the most part using both heavy and minimal descriptions depending on the time and place.

Like when someone goes into a room they’ll stay the night or frequent, sure describe it. But if that person leaves the room and goes down the hallway, if it’s just a hallway who gives a shit? Now if it’s a skyscraper and it has a window at the side with a scenic view of the sun, go ham.

CupcakeNinja

Pervert Supreme
Yeah, once your mindset changes getting back to writing that genre becomes almost impossible. It’s kind of like switching through different phases of your life as an author. But eventually, you get tired of writing one specific type of genre all the time and you branch out into another as a change of pace. It becomes pretty refreshing when you don’t have to constantly think, ‘Is this funny enough?’ when writing comedy for example. Though for horror you eventually just start constantly thinking, ‘Is this scary enough?’ anyway.

As for the heavy descriptions, I feel like only scenes you really want people to remember deserve them. Everything between those moments are just fluff as far as I’m concerned, just meant for light entertainment to pass the time. So I’ve adopted a hybrid style for the most part using both heavy and minimal descriptions depending on the time and place.

Like when someone goes into a room they’ll stay the night or frequent, sure describe it. But if that person leaves the room and goes down the hallway, if it’s just a hallway who gives a shit? Now if it’s a skyscraper and it has a window at the side with a scenic view of the sun, go ham.
Eh, but description doesn't just cover things such as clothing or character appearance. It's also facial expression. Reactions. Feelings.

"Paint a picture with words" is how I think of it. And Chief, I feel I used to be a lot better at these things Haha. .especially the reactions. Cuz you can use them basically all throughout your story.

I'm mainly talking body language here. I dont often employ that anymore, which I feel I used to do more of. And using it just improved the overall picture, you feel me? But the majority of stories I read now barely use that stuff so I got into the habit myself.

It's like the difference between reading Game of Thrones and reading...I dunno, Isekai Smartphone or whatever that nonsense was called.

KiraMinoru

Untitled Generic Member
Eh, but description doesn't just cover things such as clothing or character appearance. It's also facial expression. Reactions. Feelings.

"Paint a picture with words" is how I think of it. And Chief, I feel I used to be a lot better at these things Haha. .especially the reactions. Cuz you can use them basically all throughout your story.

I'm mainly talking body language here. I dont often employ that anymore, which I feel I used to do more of. And using it just improved the overall picture, you feel me? But the majority of stories I read now barely use that stuff so I got into the habit myself.

It's like the difference between reading Game of Thrones and reading...I dunno, Isekai Smartphone or whatever that nonsense was called.
Again, there is a time and place to emphasize facial expressions and body language. It all depends on the mood and atmosphere in that scene.

Are you going to do heavy descriptions during random pointless back and forth witty small talk? No, not to a major degree at least. You can include small little reactions here and there, that’s all good, but you can also do a lot of the work through dialogue alone. Knowing how to use dialogue in a way to allow the readers imagination to fill in the gaps is also a skill in writing.

Are you going to use heavy descriptions to a large extent when it’s an emotional and memorable key scene you want people to remember. Absofuckinglutely. You’re going to describe the fuck out of the persons subtle changes in facial expresions. The way they move their arms and legs. The direction they lean their body. The flow of their hair. The position of the sun. The view behind them, around both you and the speaker. The smell in the air. The feeling or tension in the atmosphere, etc.

Nahrenne

Pure and Innocent Maiden~
So yeah. How hard do you think it would be?

I ask because I'm reading a webtoon right now about a mediocre author who finds some dead author's things in a box and can suddenly write a lot better. In the current scene, he's talking to some arrogant piece of shit former classmate of his and the guy is saying, "you're a fantasy author, but how hard can it be? Its fantasy, its not like you have to think too deeply about it."

The MC replies, "How do you know when you haven't written fantasy before?"

Granted, writing fantasy IS easy. Compared to other genres, that is. Why? Because you can basically write anything you want. The laws of physics itself can be your bitch. Thats not to say the story is going to be good, as this isn't the only factor. But fantasy is probably among the easist genres to write simply because of how much freedom it gives you.

And of course, some people will find writing fantasy hard, but still.

Now, that aside, i feel like i could write most any genre DECENTLY well as long as i take it seriously instead of fucking around like i usually do for my more comedy-centric stories. They may not be great, or even very good, but they'd be stone-cold decent if nothing else.

Romance/erotica? Action/Adventure? Sci-fi? Historical fiction? I feel like i can do any of those so long as i actually do a bit of research to support then, especially for the historical ones. And i already write stories with several of these aspects. They aren't pure romance, or action, but yeah.

So anyway, yeah. How hard do YOU guys think it would be to write outside your main genres? Have you tried? What was your experience?
Other than to help promote BL, I'm using the BL short story anthology events on here to experiment with different genres, as well as to improve on my abysmal short story-writing.
'-'
It's definitely been an interesting experience.
'-'

X

Not_A_Symphony

Picasso 2.0
Granted, writing fantasy IS easy
I agree and disagree. I think that writting Fantasy is easy if you know how to deliver it (like every genre truthfully).
In Fantasy stories or novels you have a lot of freedom, yet, you have a small margin for error.
I've seen and read quite a few Fantasy stories and authors tend to strech the story to the limit, some even implement things that makes us be like "Bro what?". Others will forget certain things (like the author of One Piece forgetting his own characters LOL) and others will forget about the notion of consistency.
What I mean is, if, for example, the author of Game of Thrones decided to make Daenerys Targaryen a fire wielder we could understand. She literally is imune to fire and controls dragons so we can assume that she has something inside that triggers this right? However, instead of Fire Power, give her the control of Ice.
You can justify is by saying it's a numb power inside her but that wouldn't cut it, at all.
With this example, what I am getting at is, writting Fantasy can give you a lot of liberty but you still need to impose your boundaries and mantain the consistency of your story (otherwise it will be nothing but confusing and, conflicting story).

How hard do YOU guys think it would be to write outside your main genres? Have you tried? What was your experience?
Personally am more comfortable in writting Historical, Fantasy, Romance and Dark-Themed Stories. Being the easist one putting my feelings into words, literally ~
I've never tried to write beside these genres just because my main ideas focus on this. Yes, I've written some Smut, Yaoi and Futuristic-like stories but I still find more pleasure in Amy Whinehouse's song "Back to Black".
Also, I think that the two hardest genres to write are Fantasy and Comedy.
Fantasy for the reasons written above which, most authors (including myself since I am nothing but a begginer), end up forgetting.
Comedy because there is a thin line that separates a joyful laugher and a "please clean my eyes" [cringe type of comedy]. I've read some and the majority of the works I've read were nothing but cringe, didn't make me laugh and I am one of the easiest people to entertain.
Also, I think Horror is a honorable mention since it is quite hard to make someone feel scared by something that isn't visual. Writting great Gore and making that chicken skin pop up and, also, make that shiver run down your spine as if you were in the MC's shoes, that is something quite hard to obtain.

The easiest genres, in my opinion, is definetly Romance and Mystery.

Of course, all the genres need to be done properly thought and elaborated otherwise it won't turn into a well-structured and consice story but yeah.

This was just my opinion on the matter so don't take it wrongly or something :blobtaco:

P.S.: Please forgive the errors, it's quite late here and my brain is working at 1/3 energy ~ :blob_melt:

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
My struggle doesn't come from technicality but simply interest. There's always a framework/blueprint to making something successful within their genre. ANY shmuck with an English degree could pump out a fiction of any genre, but not EVERY shmuck can pour heart, soul, and flair into them.

If I'm not into Yuri, don't expect a good job depicting 69 double cunnilingus on paper from me. I'll depict them all the same, yes, but not as well as the more, say, dedicated fan base. I might provide the bare pussy licking experience while they'll give you a dirty shanchez around-the-world triple-decker extravaganza.