Writing Prompt Generator 1: Goblin's Gold

Scribbler

So I've tried starting about half a dozen stories since I finished my last one, and they all felt subpar. So here I am, trying to come up with a new concept once again. What do you think of when you read the title Goblin's Gold?

I think of a goblin thief who wants an easy and lavish life, but they can never get close to it because they're a goblin in a city of humans, elves, and dwarves, so all he can ever do is steal what he can to buy what he can from blackmarket sellers that would associate themselves with a goblin, so not the best stuff at the best rates.

But one day, he happens upon a real, true treasure. And this time, instead of selling it, he uses it for his own gain. Not really sure what the treasure is as of yet.

I imagine he would live in some clocktower or attic. Perhaps the old clocktower in the slums.

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
The most important thing about any story idea is that is has to inspire you personally. If you're just churning out words, your work will be emotionless and flat. If you put your passion into your writing, that will come through and excite your readers.

I know this is especially difficult to do during a pandemic, but from what I'm hearing here, you would benefit by taking a break from writing and going out to learn/do/see some new things for inspiration. Most of my work is inspired by things I've lived through, and I've taken long breaks from writing to just live life. Again, this is challenging to do during a pandemic, so do whatever you think is right for you.

Scribbler

The most important thing about any story idea is that is has to inspire you personally. If you're just churning out words, your work will be emotionless and flat. If you put your passion into your writing, that will come through and excite your readers.

I know this is especially difficult to do during a pandemic, but from what I'm hearing here, you would benefit by taking a break from writing and going out to learn/do/see some new things for inspiration. Most of my work is inspired by things I've lived through, and I've taken long breaks from writing to just live life. Again, this is challenging to do during a pandemic, so do whatever you think is right for you.
My problem isn't really finding a story worth starting, but one worth continuing.

Last edited:

NotaNuffian

This does spark joy.
My problem isn't really finding a story worth starting, but one worth continuing.
Then it is skeleton time again~

Write out an idea popping in your head. Then start to think about its ending. Do you like it? If yes, try to have events branching towards it. Iirc a manga quoting Sherlock once said, you take the start and the end, the journey can be whatever you want.

I know most of us here is a jumpstarter, you have an idea and start churning, then you ended up with loads of unfinished/ unsatisfying intellectual properties. And planning the start to end is a major pain, I am suffering as of now as well.

So really, do take your time to plan, I sincerely curse myself for not doing my own life planning and go with the flow.

DreamOfRen

A goblin who's been robbed, ransacked by adventurers who feel entitled and now he must get it back.
On the verge of death, a goddess appears offering this mortally wounded Goblin a choice, get revenge by accepting her gift or die and reincarnate into a new life.

Now, armed with an adventurer system of his own, the Goblin goes about taking his revenge upon those who wronged him and recovering EVERY SINGLE piece of his Gold.

Goblin's Gold

Btw, feel free to use this anyone, I have hundreds of book premises stocked up.
I'm basically All For One of book premises.

Sahara

I always think metaphorically. It's just how I roll. A lot of my short stories aren't ever actually about fantasy adventures. The funny thing is, the longer my piece, the more I use fantasy elements. Assuming that you want a short story, here's my immediate thought:

MC is out for the material rewards. However, when things go downhill and a baby's abandoned on their doorstep, they must learn what real love is.

How did I generate this out of the title? To put it simply, a goblin has a negative connotation. They're known as thieves, stealers, and sometimes just plain heartless. They want material things, like gold, and want it now. However, goblins range from sapient-sentient for a reason, and that's because their preferences, in some instances, can change. Which is why I went with this.

But then again you were probably expecting something high-class and fantasy, but I like my realistic fiction every once in a while.

Chaos_Sinner777

Imprisoned Soul Seeking Isekai
I imagined a Goblin raised by Kobolds working away in the mines and being a generally happy fellow. Then the Kobold village gets attacked leaving the Goblin as the only survivor. All alone with more gold than he can ever do anything with. Then he evolves into a Goblin of Avarice and starts hoarding all the treasure he can get his hands on. Despite having no real use for it. Though, I guess a "Goblin of Avarice" could grow stronger based on the size of his hoard?

UYScuti

Helium Fuser
He gets the treasure, and now what? If his goal is to become rich, and he becomes rich, then the story is over. What are the struggles the Goblin faces other than bad exchange rates? Is the Goblin going to use his massive wealth to reform society? Create a kingdom of his own? Other than discrimination, is there anything else stopping the goblin? Is there a villain/organization or something along those lines they have to overcome.

Does your character have any depth? There is a goal to get rich. The physical barrier preventing him is his race. What’s the inner turmoil the goblin faces that prevents him from achieving his goals?

Have an overall story, then craft a character with struggles in multiple layers. Build the world, but spend your time creating a character you care about. Make your character suffer and battle their way through it. If you do that, you should be able to continue.

Nahrenne

Pure and Innocent Maiden~
So I've tried starting about half a dozen stories since I finished my last one, and they all felt subpar. So here I am, trying to come up with a new concept once again. What do you think of when you read the title Goblin's Gold?

I think of a goblin thief who wants an easy and lavish life, but they can never get close to it because they're a goblin in a city of humans, elves, and dwarves, so all he can ever do is steal what he can to buy what he can from blackmarket sellers that would associate themselves with a goblin, so not the best stuff at the best rates.

But one day, he happens upon a real, true treasure. And this time, instead of selling it, he uses it for his own gain. Not really sure what the treasure is as of yet.

I imagine he would live in some clocktower or attic. Perhaps the old clocktower in the slums.
Goblin's Gold could have a meaning like how Fool's Gold does.
Maybe it means something that is truly precious to goblins but is worse than dried, stale manure to humans/other races. Or it could be a codeword for goblins when referring to a deity/leader/mantra.

I don't know, perhaps I've misunderstood what the thread was for...If I have, my apologies.
>w<

I wish you luck in being able to complete a story!

X

ChronicleCrawler

♠ItCrawls♠
A Dumb Goblin gets a gold coin as he passes through the meadows to hunt his first prey after the winter. Emancipated because of hunger, the goblin felt weak. After a few hours of searching for fruit, it was not able to find anything. Thus, he took a bite of the golden coin. And walla, the golden coin was a gate to another world. He got zapped and was sent to another dimension. Where goblins power relays on gold coins, machines, and, banks.