Writing with Dyslexia?

• Thread starter Deleted member 61829
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 61829

I figured out why I've had writer's block since 2018 and could never finish a writing project. I have Dyslexia. I just found out today. I've been told to use dyslexic friendly fonts when it comes to my writing, but I'm also having a hard time coming up with ideas. Good thing is I finished two chapters of a test story which is more than I've finished this year lmao yay! Lol, does anyone else have Dyslexia? How do you write your stories?

Paul_Tromba

Sleep deprived mess of a published author
My brother and best friend both have dyslexia. Though they each have a different type of dyslexia. My brother has problems reading words as the letters get switched around when reading them. While my friend had a form of dyslexia that alters his perception when writing and looking at numbers. Both of them have found that comic sans fonts work well for them when writing and Grammarly helps a lot as well. Though both of them would rather not write if they can help it. Sorry, I can't be of more help.

Layenlml

If the problem is the writing itself you can try searching for somethig that speaks thing you write outloud, you can find some errors like that.

Maybe searching for some AMV? I got some ideas when listening to music that I like.

Sorry if Im not of that much help, great to see someone keeping up after so many years.

good luck.

D

Deleted member 43864

I figured out why I've had writer's block since 2018 and could never finish a writing project. I have Dyslexia. I just found out today. I've been told to use dyslexic friendly fonts when it comes to my writing, but I'm also having a hard time coming up with ideas. Good thing is I finished two chapters of a test story which is more than I've finished this year lmao yay! Lol, does anyone else have Dyslexia? How do you write your stories?
I know how hard it is, I have both dyslexia and autism. Writing is something I both love and hate at the same time. It is also something I have always struggled with as it is something that doesn't come naturally to me, so I know how it is. As someone mentioned previously, I too use grammarly to help me out and trust me it does help massively :)

Prezombie

Mechanically, comic sans is a great font to make writing and editing easier. Using a larger than usual font and white text on black screen can also help.

Disable the error prompts, the red lines under typos, when writing the first draft, and don't interrupt your flow to fix obvious errors, edit after you've created.

If you can't stand silence, and music is distracting, try white noise or a soundscape, I really like the ones on mynoise.net.

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
Father Nathan Monk has dyslexia, and he recently published a book! He's an awesome dude overall, so he might respond if you reach out to him:

Comiak

Foxgirl enthusiast
I might have a very minor form of dyslexia but it's never tested so it could just be normal, but I have found that when typing I'll sometimes type a word and see that I've switched two letters like type veawe instead of weave. I speak in my mind when writing but my hands sometimes have a mind of their own. it's not a big issue as I just fix the error but it's something that happens randomly.

SakeVision

Sama/kisama
I have brain damex from drugzz that makes me write weird onomatopeias like lough instead of love, or bing instead of ping, right instead of write etc. and general damage of language abilities that make expressing my thoughts with words difficult

gramarrly helps but sometimes it doesn't fix everything if I wrote a an actual word that sounds the same

Kuropon

I do, I can't imagine writing without current grammar and spelling technology lol Seems to be working out for me XD