Y'all Ever had that Moment when You can only Write at a specific time?

Samuel_Spader

I'm always ALMOST ONLY able to write at 11 pm or above, especially when I'm just about to go to have a shut eye. It was then and ONLY THEN several ideas starts to pour in my minuscule brain.

Then after that I would jump from my bed and turned on the laptop which I've shut off just about five frickin' minutes ago, and then sat down hoping those ideas are still there somewhere in my mind, begging that it wont suddenly went isekai somewhere when I'm finally ready to write something.

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
It's what I'd like to call the Midnight Effect™.

It's to the point where you're so extremely tired that your brain automatically switches gear and goes somewhere beyond autopilot. You know when you're in a roll in a game and suddenly you're in this trance where you're doing very well? Imagine that but on your mental capacity.

During the Midnight Effect™, your brain is essentially running on pure brawn power alone, fueled by the last 5% battery in your body to the point where you enter this hyperaware mode and suddenly you can do anything really fast and efficient. You can prolong this effect by drinking coffee, or having a kick ass album in your ear.

Side effects might include nauseating fever for the subsequent week but hey, at least you got that chapter done.

Draculus-del-Viafat

Inspiration usually comes to me in the evening, after supper. I don't know how to explain it (probably the reason is that I'm a literal owl and can only operate effectively any time but not day-time), but for me it's difficult to write at another time, even late at night.

Samuel_Spader

Inspiration usually comes to me in the evening, after supper. I don't know how to explain it (probably the reason is that I'm a literal owl and can only operate effectively any time but not day-time), but for me it's difficult to write at another time, even late at night.
It's quite a hassle too when at times you finally got some inspirations and ideas, but then when you finally sat down on your chair, those inspirations and ideas somehow went poof*.

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
I have several more questions:
  • Why does it have a trademark
  • Why is it when I googled that word, all I get were Gacha stuff
  • What kick-ass albums did you listen to
To name just a few:
  • Lullaby Land - Vampire Rodents
  • This Is a Long Drive for Someone with Nothing to Think About - Modest Mouse
  • Let's Get Killed - David Holmes
  • Luciferian Towers - Godspeed You! Black Emperor
  • The Bees Made Honey In The Lion's Skull - Earth
  • replicr, 2019 - 65daysofstatic
  • Liturgey of the Hours - The Divinity (@AbigailN.Wordprocessor was actually part of the production for this album; pretty neat if I'd say so myself)
  • White Light/White Heat - The Velvet Underground
  • Wish You Were Here - Pink Floyd
  • Bangers vs Fuckers - Coachwhips
  • First Two Seven Inches - Minor Threat
Just hit me up if you want more.

Darkwood

So that is a permanent feature for me, except its after midnight.

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
I always write in a paper notebook before bed with LED bulbs that simulate firelight. It's a great way to avoid blue light before bed and get my melatonin flowing. I type up my work during the day, and my exhaustion from my pregnancy is making it harder to concentrate, but I'm still dedicated to my story.

Draculus-del-Viafat

I've noticed that the best ideas come to my mind when I'm trying to fall asleep. That's why I started keeping a small notebook with a pen attanched to it right next to my pillow. I feel like a literary freak.

tofu_moon

All my ideas come at night too! I've heard it's because of the frontal cortex getting tired at the end of the day. The decision making-part of your brain is too tired to care if your ideas don't make sense or if it's crazy.

Samuel_Spader

Lying in bed at night, mentally story boarding my stories... my brain is running amok with inspiration but I am too snug and tired to get up and grab my laptop.
Then, all those ideas and inspiration became one with your dreams, which if you're lucky enough, you can get a lucid dream and just flow with it.

Kldran

For me it's a pretty clear reason: Late at night (or morning, depending on how badly butchered my sleep schedule is) when I'm supposed to be sleeping, my creativity skyrockets. I know exactly what it is: my mind is shifting gears to get ready for dreaming. It's my dreams coming alive before I've gone to sleep. It's awkward though, because I need the right balance of wakefulness and sleepiness for it to work well. Too sleepy, and I can't stay focused enough to write. Too wakeful, and my mind doesn't wander enough to provide ideas.

Sii

Oh, I can write at any time. I just purposely choose to fuck myself by waiting until late at night. Then I sprint and bang out as many words as I can before I go to sleep, kinda satisfied.

atgongumerki

sometimes I write my stories in my dream and then I get confused when I wake up and all that writing is not saved (cause it was never written).
Sad thing is I can barely remember anything I wrote in my dreams.

When I actually write on my laptop I do so mostly in the dead of night.

P.S.
exhaustion from my pregnancy

congratulations

melomarl

it's not just midnight actually, writing is also a habit so once your subconscious is used to having plot ideas and writing at night, naturally, your body will follow.
You can train yourself to change the time of day you want to write and some find it therapeutic to have a working space (but who are we kidding? I love writing while sprawled on our bed, half-asleep and drooling)

OvidLemma

I *can* write pretty much whenever, but the problem is that there are a lot of times that there are things I have to do (work, family, random life crap) that *should* take precedence. So I promise myself that I'll write for 30 minutes to reward myself for 3 solid hours of work. Then I end up writing for two hours and falling way behind my irl schedule.

My biggest problem is striking inspirational gold late at night when I have to be up at 7 the next day. I'll bargain with myself, like: "Hey, Ovid, it's only 2:15... write for 30 more minutes and you can be asleep by 3 am... that's *four solid hours* of sleep.”

I wake up the next morning, groggy as hell and promising myself, ”Never again!” Then, two nights later, my dumb ass is doing the exact same thing. Why?!?!

HJ

Back then, I could only write in the evening. But there were also those days when inspiration came in the most ordinary places like that particular pizza parlor in the busy area of the city. While waiting for my order to be served, my gaze turned to the scene outside the glass window. Various vehicles passed by and the people were busy with their business. A few stood on the side, waiting for a cab. The others rushed to their destination ignoring the old bent lady approaching with her hand stretched out in a begging movement. Eventually, the images became blurred and the scene changed. I became one with the crowd in another place and time. But I could neither speak nor touch. It was as though I was a ghost, watching, listening, observing. I felt the characters' emotions and saw many places. The events were unfolded in front of my eyes.The moment seemed endless. Eventually, I found myself tapping until I heard clinking sound. A delicious aroma wafted into my nose. I looked up only to see the waiter's lips moving. My head shook in response and then I was left once again to my thoughts. The cursor kept blinking at me as though prompting me to do something. Typing the last character, I saved the draft. Then I started to eat the pizza while watching the scene outside the window once again.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~​
At present, due to the quarantine there is no specific time of writing for me.There were times when I wrote during the day from morning until evening. There were also days when I wrote from 6pm until the wee hours of the morning.

To me it comes more of about being in what I call the "writer's headspace". Visions of the characters and events come to me in short bursts, sometimes in random times and random days. These are too short for me to write a chapter. Thus, most of the time I find myself gathering these random visions in my story bank until I the moment comes when I could weave them into a coherent piece.

I take advantage of the days when I have no drive to write. This is the moment when I could safely read books without being distracted from my focus during the writing process. I call this the "reader's subspace". In this subspace, I am able to fully immerse myself in the books I read, including my own. This is the time when I also do a self review of the chapters I've written. I do not have a proof reader so it is no surprise that there are mistakes here and there, mistakes that I only notice when I am using a different point of view. Here, I become a stranger, a bystander, a reader doing an evaluation to my own published chapter.

Yairy

The Dreamer of Wonderland!
My brain gets active around the time when I have other obligations. That's only because I'm fully awake then and there's nothing I can do about it. Like right now, I'm too tired to sit down and do a bunch of writing but in like 5 hours from now I'll be focused and ready to pump out 3k words in a heartbeat but I have to leave by that point. It's a sick but cruel reality that I've come to terms with. :blob_reach: