Writing Prompt Your character stumbles upon a local delicacy.

Variation

thought it'd be fun to have people writing about their characters, in their own worlds, stumbling onto the messed up foods from the real world like Durian fruit, century eggs, Surströmming, Vetimite, etc.

I'll start off with my own.
(Wow, sorry for the length, I couldn't stop. by no means does yours have to be this long)

I'd just arrived at my first real warg camp and I couldn't believe the smells, was every tent here cooking something!?
After eating nothing but hard bread and beans for the past 2 weeks I just can't stop myself from salivating.
"Mars!" Hati calls out to me, "I know what's on your mind and you can relax, I've already arranged with the village chief to stay for supper, you'll be able to try some real warg delicacies!"
I perk up at that, immediately following Hati as she leads my to the chiefs house, catching all the scents from the tents nearby, I can't wait to see what they've got.

When we arrive at a large tent in the middle of the camp the clan chief immediately welcomes us in, sitting us on some of the cushions around a large pot in the center.
He and Hati talk for a while as I space out just thinking about what's in that pot as the steam wafts out to meet me. Eventually they settle down and look at me with a couple of worryingly large grins.

The chief quickly gets up and brings over a small pot full of black paste and some bread.
Hati hasn't said anything but she's still grinning at me like a madwoman as the chief spreads the thick black paste over the bread, handing it to me, he eagerly invites me to try it.
"We call this Solamite" the chief says. I hesitate for a moment, watching their expressions. Surely they wouldn't be about to poison me, but I'm so hungry at this point that I don't think I'd even mind.

I take a bite of the bread and I'm immediately hit by the most intense flavour. The saltiness of it is overwhelming, and there's an intense burn on my tongue.
This is amazing! It even reminds me of the kento beans we pulled from the ocean. And then the second wave of flavour hits me once the saltiness mellows out, giving way to a wave of pure umami. [oh this stuff is just heavenly, I could eat the whole damn jar.]

I quickly finish off the rest of the bread, watching the chiefs and Hati's faces fall. "More please!" I ask.
The chief just hands me the spoon full of the thick paste, dumbfounded as Hati just bursts out laughing, holding her sides as she rolls on the cushions.
"Hah! with how much of those damn beans this cub's eaten he didn't even flinch!" exclaims Hati
"well I'll be damned", says the chief, "usually this stuff takes a lot of getting used to, most people would spit it out and run for water with their first tasting" he admits, clearly having expected this to go differently.

He seems to realize something as he looks up and asks "You think try one of those beans of yours, cub?"
I don't see why not, "yeah, sure, I've just been snacking on these most of the way here, they're pretty good" I say, handing him the pouch.
The chief eagerly takes the bag, throwing a bean in his mouth.
"Good, right?" I ask. But the chief just drops the pouch and starts coughing furiously, getting up and running for the nearest water jug.

Last edited:

Assurbanipal_II

Empress of the Four Corners of the World
1586945187683.png

Ah, the Italian casu marzu. A cheese won from sheep milk, which is maturing until it is rotting inside due to vermin. They give the cheese a special flavour and I can attest that the aroma is irresistible.

MC X do you want to try? :blob_reach:

Variation

Ah, the Italian casu marzu. A cheese won from sheep milk, which is maturing until it is rotting inside due to vermin. They give the cheese a special flavour and I can attest that the aroma is irresistible.

MC X do you want to try? :blob_reach:
is. . is this one of those maggot cheeses?

ChubbyLiv

Reminds me of a scene from my novel:

*Warning* A spoiler from a novel QT: Against My Will - Chapter 3.13

"Grandson, see what I found," Bing Shi called out. When Ren Han went inside, she opened her palm before him, "A durian lollipop, do you want it?"

Ren Ran accepted it with a twitch, "How does it taste?"

"No idea, but I want to try it so badly," Bing Shi took out another from her pocket and looked at him in expectation, "Be my guinea pig, please."

"💢." Didn't she say she'll get candy for him? Then what's this?! No, it's not the guinea part, but her provocative please that drove him crazy! He wants to spank her so much! Can he?! Can he?! Whatever! He wants to see her reaction!

"Will you take responsibility for poisoning me?" Ren Han unwrapped the wrapper and put the lollipop inside his mouth. Pulling his tongue in disgust, he said, "Your turn."

"Boy~ ask first, before eating!" said Bing Shi in laughter. She unfastened the lower part of the gas mask and licked the lollipop, "Ewwww, haha." She fanned her face, "This is lethal." She licked it again and giggled, "Yuck."

Ren Han's infuriated gaze halted on her lips, "When are you going to bring at least something edible?" If it weren't for the disgusting taste killing the mood, he would say that her natural laughter was the most lovely thing he's ever heard, "Don't they say the way to a man's heart is through his stomach?"

"Hm~, they do," Bing Shi stopped licking, and placed her lollipop before his mouth, "Do you want an indirect kiss?"

*thump*

Ren Han looked at the lollipop, which was in her mouth a second ago. His heart thumped hard. Stupid! Don't imagine it! "You disgusting cheater," he said and turned around, rummaging through the regals to calm down, his mind stuck on inappropriate scenes.

Bing Shi chuckled, "I like it on hard mode. While others use their cooking skills," she threw the untasty lollipop into a trash bin, "I use a smelly durian lollipop."

Last edited:
i somehow found my way into the tropical islands. sun already went down, and people gathered in the seaside hut in minimal clothing. they lounged while listening to bossa-nova tones on their radio, the folk dances in the stage, and the subtle sound of ocean waves.

i sat on the lounge's corner and browsed through their menu,.

since i love pizza, i wanted to try their original blend.

so they gave me pizza, with warm, roasted pineapples in it. the pizza also had a good bunch of crunchy vegetables like corn and carrots. they also added their sour-sweet, thousand-island sauce. instead of garlic bread, they had slices of salted papaya, watermelon, and salty tomatoes, with a side-dish of salted egg.

what made my mouth really water, was how they served everything atop an aromatic banana leaf, with lots of piping hot yellow rice on top, and these tribesmen started to eat everything with their hands, mixing up the slices of pizza, some grilled mollusks, and their fruits.

there were a small washbasin and a liquid soap on each table. despite not eating with hands, i washed 'em anyway.

i took out the chopsticks from my inventory, cut off the pizza slices, and let the sweet-sour pineapples blend with rice, and some meaty snail-thing they gave me. nice, the snail had that teriyaki-sauce like texture, with mild spiciness. it's kinda like a crunchy well-done steak.

i really enjoyed everything. even though the pineapple addition was weird, it kept me wanting more after several bites.

as a complimentary, they also gave a dried crab claw. it's surprisingly soft, and it didn't hurt my insides.

everything was so delicious, i kept wanting more.

though, since i had enough meal, i booked their nearest hotel and opt for a suite room.

the night-time, coupled with their cooling magic tool and the moon's reflection against the water--it reminded me of my old world.

everything was quiet and laden with sadness. the war had devastated so many things.

...but this world--everything felt so peaceful--at what price?

Well, whatever.

As long peace exists, there'd be always time to enjoy life and eat some good food.

That's all that matters.

Variation

since i love pizza, i wanted to try their original blend.

so they gave me pizza, with warm, roasted pineapples in it. the pizza also had a good bunch of crunchy vegetables like corn and carrots.
okay now pineapple pizza i love, big fan, but corn and carrots? is this a real thing? I can't even imagine that.
carrot, corn, and pineapple, on a pizza. . :blob_popcorn_two:

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
Shiro the Wolf stared at the cup of silky smooth Belgian hot chocolate presented before him on the table.

He didn't say anything, only giving the server a look of disdain, disgust and a hint of genuine confusion.

okay now pineapple pizza i love, big fan, but corn and carrots? is this a real thing? I can't even imagine that.
carrot, corn, and pineapple, on a pizza. . :blob_popcorn_two:

don't forget rice, fruits and roasted mollusks :D /

not sure if it's real, it's just something i made up 'cuz i'm too lazy to google.

probably be delicious since i like the crunchy sweet corn, not sure about the carrots tho.

TremendousHuman

Deleteriously devilish, deliciously dumbfounding
I font wanna search for weird foods of earth since I'm lazy and don't know how they taste, so...
"So... What is... this?" I pointed my finger at the atrocity of colors on my plate. You have seen those impressionist paintings by Claude Monet and others, right? Those that look clumsy up close (of course they are refined and beautiful overall, don't burn me please). Well, in terms of visual presentation, this... How should I put it... Piece of culinary art was similar. Weeeell... The up close part at least.
"I see some kind of grass"
"It's meat, Vic"
"
It's meat? Then this part over here is..."
"And this is 'grass', as you would call it"
"God almighty, have mercy on my sinful soul"
"Give it a try"
"...
Here goes..."
"... So... How is it?"

"Tastes like chicken..."
"..."
"
It tastes more chicken-y than any chicken I've ever eaten. And I only tasted the violet-blue sparkly thingy on top"
"'More chicken-y than chicken'? Hm... Fair enough, it does taste similar if you use human taste buds. It's actually a little fun"
"The syropy green flower"
"It's a cheese"
"The syropy green flower-like cheese tastes... Very sad. I don't know how to describe it. It's like I just watched a marathon of Korean dramas for three days and thought about what I was doing with my life after I realised that I watched a marathon of Korean dramas for three days. It's like I won a million dollars but the economy crashed the next day. And then I was robbed. It's like I suddenly realised I became a fan of Justin B-"
" Enough, I get it. The cheese tastes sad, okay. Gee, it can't be THAT sad. Lemme try-... *chomp*... *hiccup* What am I doing with my life? *hick*... "
" The banana... "
" *hick* I became a fan of Justi-"
" Ralph, the banana! "
" What banana? I'm wallowing in self-pity here, I'm busy"
"It's your turn to say," actually, it's a... " and say whatever this thing really is"
"Actually, it's a banana, satisfied?"
"It is?"
"Yes"
"That's boring. It could be a fish, a nut, a mushroom, an alcoholic drink, and of all things it became a banana..."
"Shame on it. Next thing!"
"The yellow mountain unicorn meat..."
"..."
"... Ralph?"
"Yes, go on"
"Wait, I guessed what it is?"
"No, it's a tea leaf pickled in wine sause"
"The tea leaf tastes... Like youth. Its like the hot-blooded passion and innocence that I had when I was young"
"You had hod-blooded passion and innocence in your life? Nonsense!"
"Shut it"

Moctemma

Learning about this writing stuff
My protagonist can't taste food, nor does she needs to eat :sweat_smile:

Kyrian_Clawraithe

This story isn't anywhere near close to being ready to post but this is a scene where Pytar, the friendly dungeon, summons a pizza from this world when Izabil (the second MC that used to be a merchants daughter and now is a Dungeon Fae) wants to try something new to eat.

Izabil's stomach gives out a low gurgle suddenly, and Pytar asks "What's that sound? It sounds funny!"

"It means I need to eat something silly. Can you make me any food?" Izabil replys.

Pytar pulls up his summon shop and searches "any food", which pulls up a long list of items. However almost all of them where traps meant to harm the eaters, which it didn't want. He wanted something that Izabil would enjoy eating and wouldn't harm her, so he searched "nice food for Izabil" which pulled up a single dungeons offers. This said it was the store of Isabell, the reincarnated dungeon. The specific section that was pulled up was a section called Comfort Food from Home. It summoned the recommended item, something called a Pepperoni Pizza.

"Here try this! It's called a Pepperoni Pizza and is described as delicious!" He said proudly, eager to show that he finally figured out what she could enjoy.

She looked at the bread based dish on a silver platter. At the slightly crunchy golden crust with a thick red paste and slightly oily cheese covered with perfectly round slivers of a red meat that curled up slightly at the edges. Suddenly realizing that she was drooling, she announced, "This looks delicious!" She pulled out a piece that, while being perfectly cut stuck slightly to the rest of the pizza, and dug in.