Your experience using Wattpad

OP1000

Hello!!!!

I was curious to read about how the users of this site feel about the website/application of Wattpad.

When I first visited the website, I thought that I might have actually found a new site to read some fanfictions on much in the same way that I felt when I found out about fanfiction.net.

But as I started to look through the content that was available on the website, I discovered y/n works. Even if I was curious about these types of works in the beginning, I later found myaelf being unable to enjoy such types of works and that the website was filled with so many works written in the second person point of view. And this was a major reason as to why I do not see the website in a positive light.

LilRora

Mostly formless
My experience with Wattpad is I opened it once and was immediately deterred by the weird design. I moved on despite that, but didn't find a single story that really interested me. I haven't visited the site since then.

Last edited:

l8rose

Perpetually Positively Pondering
As a reader, I loathe Wattpad's design. There is just too much stuff on my screen and it gives me a weird sensory overload. I have read two complete Light Novels on there but only because I could not find them anywhere else online. Otherwise, I avoid it.

As an author who has uploaded to Wattpad, I still loathe the design. I only did a few chapters before I decided not to upload there any more as the whole site just bothers me so very much.

Novel_Fam

I have mixed feeling with Wattpad, I don’t read many fanfics there but I find decent ones but I more prefer to read fanfics on AO3…

For original works, there are few yet many stories that really interests me there and have saved them to my library but sadly most were abandoned or never completed which is why I still have the app in hope the writers come back to it and give me hope for new chapters since lately I’ve been less interested in web novels which is depressing…

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
I got banned from Wattpad over three years ago, sometime when I was pregnant. It was fun while it lasted. I hear things have really gone downhill, though.

Sleds

I'm looking for Disney Sleds
I don't read there cause the interface suck. I don't even know why people read there to be honest. While as an authors, it's barely useless, I have like 7k4 view there with maybe 20 readers while in all other site I have at least 350 readers for the same amount of time. There not really a system that put your story in front like the new stories or new upload like here.

It's shit tier.

Last edited:

SainS

From what I gather it's essentially impossible to get organic views there, and if you're gonna advertise your story you might as well post it on RR or SH and advertise those so you get both readers you've led there and organic ones. Don't waste your time on Wattpad.

LadyNefalum

It depends on your genre. I write dark romance (I like to exacerbate it and elevate it by having a very sober view of fatalistic paraphilias, and dovetailing it with lore-enriched narratives. yes). And, as for proportionality - organic views versus the challenge of getting seen - I'm doing surprisingly well on there. I've been ranked #3 for chilling on the tag for 2 days straight, so, that puts me on a hot list, and gives me free, continuing exposure. (I also drummed up my fanbase from Discord).

The trick is to come at WattPad sideways. They have their own main genre tags. Don't bother with those. Capitalize on the sub genre tags (such as slowburn; drama; scary, whatever makes sense for you) that have incidental overlap with the big ones. Eventually you'll end up on a hot list (like I did) and it self-propagates. You'll get continual views because you're enshrined in a hot list for that sub-genre. And now that I'm growing from that visibility, I'm starting to creep into main genre tags such as "Paranormal" and "Adult." Once you get onto those lists? You'll blow up.

But seriously. Don't bother if you're not doing romance, dark romance, para-romance, werewolf romance (those are the only verticals they're monetizing anyway).

C_P_Tuck

Every great story needs an author
Hello!!!!

I was curious to read about how the users of this site feel about the website/application of Wattpad.

When I first visited the website, I thought that I might have actually found a new site to read some fanfictions on much in the same way that I felt when I found out about fanfiction.net.

But as I started to look through the content that was available on the website, I discovered y/n works. Even if I was curious about these types of works in the beginning, I later found myaelf being unable to enjoy such types of works and that the website was filled with so many works written in the second person point of view. And this was a major reason as to why I do not see the website in a positive light.
That was the first website I tried posting my stories to, actually. It... didn't go that well. I got almost no traction because I don't write romance or fanfiction.

Thankfully I found this site and RoyalRoad, or I might have given up as an author.