Your Opinion on Western/Westernized Cultivation Novels

laccoff_mawning

My apologies for continuing to drag this offtopic, but... a quick google search suggests the norse gods were not considered immortal. Nor ageless, even. Hence its perfectly fine for them to die at ragnarok because they are mortal, even though we call them "gods"

TsumiHokiro

Just another chick in the universe
My apologies for continuing to drag this offtopic, but... a quick google search suggests the norse gods were not considered immortal. Nor ageless, even. Hence its perfectly fine for them to die at ragnarok because they are mortal, even though we call them "gods"
True, they do die, therefore they should not be considered Immortal. As for their ageleness, they eat Idun's fruit, and this has made them not age. They were also rejuvenated.

BearlyAlive

Certfied Super Secret Final Secret Final Boss
Let's all just agree on the point that all "Immortals" are life-fluid. They're immortal until they die. Kinda like a certain (un)poisoned cat.

Anyway the etymological definition of immortality would be the inability to die, which would mean most "immortals" are in fact not immortal.

APieceOfRock

Yuri Lover, endeed!
I remember reading some, Korean cultivation stories mostly use Ki/Qi/Chi, a few of them often use the four guardian beasts that you could find in China and Japan too.
The Azure Dragon, Cheongryong
The White Tiger, Baekho
The Vermilion Bird, Jujak
The Black Tortoise, Hyunmoo
hey, you're leaving out our favorite boi the Yellow Dragon : (

Sleds

I'm looking for Disney Sleds
hey, you're leaving out our favorite boi the Yellow Dragon : (
The yellow dragon are not present all time in the myth and are often used as a symbol for the emperor. If I remember correctly, sometime it's even changed to the yellow Kirin in china.

aattss

As others have pointed out, there's a spectrum of what counts as cultivation, ranging from the whole qi refining->foundation building->golden core->nascent soul->tribulation transcending->et al. with arrays/formations/Chinese heaven/dao/alchemy pills/yin yang, to just there's a power system where you get points and when your points passes a certain threshold you get more powerful.

Anyways, I'm generally fine with western takes on the subject, as long as they neither do all the edgy tropes nor go all deconstruction where the Chinese tropes are explicitly referred to while the story obsesses over other stories to the detriment of its own thing.