Your thoughts on a literal tank character

Kenjona

Lmao, Reincarnated as a modern tank in a magic world. It would be quite exciting to read a tank fan writing such a novel.
Yes, reincarnate as a tank like the bob Semple tank or better the Little Willie. Then slowly as you survive and grow in story line you get to be a better Tank.

EldritchCoomer

Horny on main
Personally, it depends on their personality and how it develops due to their ultimate tankiness. Too many times have I read a story where OP characters are dumb, easily surprised by someone else's strength (only being used as a foil to act surprised at the MC's or someone else's power), childish in world view, and the experience, knowledge, and tempering that comes with having ages of expertise due to being immortal is not found in the character. Totally fine with the premise itself, but people tend to fall into a lot of pitfalls involving the personality, detracting from / ignoring all that would be cool or unique for someone with that kind of life/past. In other words, the OP character becomes a one-dimensional child that blusters and relies solely on their tankiness that spent their immortal life stagnant and arrogant, easily surprised or angered when someone dares to go against them. Be careful with the creation of their personality.
Don't worry their personality isn't like that at all, they aren't surprised or care peoples powers cause they know that they can't take damage so no surprised pikachu faces, on the contrast they find the idea of fighting and killing tedious and a waste and only ever do it if they find it completely necessary, given that they are still sadist that enjoy destroying the hopes and dreams of other that they view as pointless (this one is sort of a personal only makes sense in context of series)

On for being a one trick pony, they don't solely rely on it in battle that would be kinda dumb for their background also I didn't mention this before, but they didn't do some cultivation training they were in countless battles to get to that point so they know how to get around sticky situations where they are at a disadvantage.

As for them being OP well I guess that depends on your definition on the term, they aren't exactly beating every enemy they come in contact with just a lot of them won't be a challenge.

TheMonotonePuppet

A Writer With Enthusiasm & A Jester of Christmas!
Don't worry their personality isn't like that at all, they aren't surprised or care peoples powers cause they know that they can't take damage so no surprised pikachu faces, on the contrast they find the idea of fighting and killing tedious and a waste and only ever do it if they find it completely necessary, given that they are still sadist that enjoy destroying the hopes and dreams of other that they view as pointless (this one is sort of a personal only makes sense in context of series)

On for being a one trick pony, they don't solely rely on it in battle that would be kinda dumb for their background also I didn't mention this before, but they didn't do some cultivation training they were in countless battles to get to that point so they know how to get around sticky situations where they are at a disadvantage.

As for them being OP well I guess that depends on your definition on the term, they aren't exactly beating every enemy they come in contact with just a lot of them won't be a challenge.
Oh hallelujah. :blob_joy:

EldritchCoomer

Horny on main
tanks are just boring. They just defend nothing else
If I was a sane person this would be true, but I took a much more creative liberty with said powers, the tank most times can only primarily defend themself and who ever they are defending and concequently most attacks that land on them can't even faze them.
Of course they are not strong either, but I found a loop hole to this if something strong pushes against them then they can always push back and destroy it, but if the thing pretty stationary they'd be at a great disadvantage, like let's someone conjured a cube and tosses it at the tank adventually they'd break threw it, but it'll take a lot of energy and they can't much about it, but inversly if the cube is being controlled and pushed on the tank by the caster then the tank has reason for their endurance to act up push against the object.

SashaDeminova

I'm surprised no one mentioned Bofuri. It's not really an isekai, cause it's just the characters in a video game where they can level themselves up however they want. The MC levels up ONLY defense so she doesn't get hurt. It's super fun and cute!
However, I agree that a literal tank would be hilarious!

EldritchCoomer

Horny on main
>literal tank character
>Not a military tank
My disappointment is immesurable and my day is ruined.

Unless you give this character some really serious flaws it's just Supermangokujesus The Untouchable.
At least make him unable to harm others or make it so that he's universally hated no matter what he does or something that validates his existance other than "he's basically reverse One-Punch Man".
Oh, he can still do damage to people, not a lot and tend to not do well in a group of superpowerful people since they don't have a lot of mp to spare.
As for their hatred, not necessarily I think, they have a goal they are chasing that they believe in that most of the world deemed impossible and squashes anyone that gets in the way of said goal. I would also say that they are terrible at working with other cause of past trauma
I'm surprised no one mentioned Bofuri. It's not really an isekai, cause it's just the characters in a video game where they can level themselves up however they want. The MC levels up ONLY defense so she doesn't get hurt. It's super fun and cute!
okay, I see that people want literal tanks and it's funny as hell, but physical damage does nothing for this series all of them have to magical powers or it won't take effect, also liked Bofuri too, while I was creating the character Bofuri kept snaking it's way into my mind
okay, I see that people want literal tanks and it's funny as hell, but physical damage does nothing for this series all of them have to magical powers or it won't take effect, also liked Bofuri too, while I was creating the character Bofuri kept snaking it's way into my mind
Lmao, Reincarnated as a modern tank in a magic world. It would be quite exciting to read a tank fan writing such a novel.
Sounds fun, but not much of a tank person and not too into that sorta thing, guess I shoulda expected this though, I just wanted to use a phrase most fantasy writers and readers would understand.

Last edited:

melchi

What is a custom title?
A tank who can fight on the level of demigods is basically superman.

Now a tank that is also a zDPS would be interesting. They can't die, but also can't do enough damage to defeat anything. That would make a more interesting story.

BigBadBoi

fuck that I want a tank and it slowly evolves into a mechtank
Evolved one my waifu

Attachments

• 1670087142042128.png
    1670087142042128.png
    430.7 KB · Views: 25
D

Deleted member 113259

So, while working through a character with their character arc, I wanted to know people's thought on a literal tank.
A person so powerful that in the universe they are virtually indestructible to an extent through years of never ending on the brink of the death wars fights being's that most people in the universe can't even begin to think about tackling. Even with this, there is one flaw with the character being basically Goku is that they are not very strong or fast or have immense magic points, they just are pretty durable, so most of the time they are more stand offish and almost always go solo against an enemy cause they know they can't defend anyone and find it annoying to handle ranged fighters that are faster for them.

I just want to know people's thoughts on a character like this and the interpretation if such a key character that's supposed to be in a group and choosing multiple times to go solo and put in situations where they'd need a partner and needing to come to terms with people even if they might die or get hurt due to their inabilities.

Also, for the concept for the character to be used, I really don't have anything for this at the moment, just sorta an idea that I had floating around in my head
Thoughts:
1. That would be a figurative tank. Make the character a Leopard 2.

2. Strong from start to end can work if action isn't the main genre. If the main genre is fantasy/sci-fi focus on the character's observations of the world their in and their unique perspective from the peak. If the main genre is drama or comedy focus on the character itself and his/hers interactions with other characters. Internal and external conflict for drama, and gags for comedy.

3. Focus on character flaws, not physical flaws. You've already made it clear you're idea for this is similar to how Goku is set up, although you see it as a problem. Since you want the character to be super powerful I fear you'll fall into the same trap Toriyama has. You'll most likely keep writing a villain to be the one guy stronger than the character and then the main character beats them in time to swap to a new arc villain that's the one guy stronger than the character. This makes the story repetitive so don't bother with making the conflict derive from a lack of strength if the character is already strong.

4. Don't make the character the main character. If the character is a villain, a goal for the main character to reach, a mysterious figure, or a mentor then overwhelming strength is actually a benefit to the character, because all of those characters push the main character's growth. If the character is actively fighting on the side of the main character or is the main character, it just removes stakes from the story.

5. Don't put the character in a group. It's a stupid lesson to learn that you need to cooperate with people when you're that much stronger than them. If the character is indestructible then all of his/her plans would be ones in which the very much non-indestructible teammates get killed.

6. Don't write the character to only be able to defend. If the character is incredibly physically tough they'd also pack a punch. If you make it so that they defend themselves from all the attacks but need someone else to finish the fight, then you might as well just focus on the character that's finishing all the fights.

7. If you don't listen to any of that advice, make the character a strategist so that they need to come up with a new plan to win each new battle with different characters that possess different advantages and disadvantages each time. This will at the very least add variety to the story, keeping it engaging.

EldritchCoomer

Horny on main
Thoughts:
1. That would be a figurative tank. Make the character a Leopard 2.

2. Strong from start to end can work if action isn't the main genre. If the main genre is fantasy/sci-fi focus on the character's observations of the world their in and their unique perspective from the peak. If the main genre is drama or comedy focus on the character itself and his/hers interactions with other characters. Internal and external conflict for drama, and gags for comedy.

3. Focus on character flaws, not physical flaws. You've already made it clear you're idea for this is similar to how Goku is set up, although you see it as a problem. Since you want the character to be super powerful I fear you'll fall into the same trap Toriyama has. You'll most likely keep writing a villain to be the one guy stronger than the character and then the main character beats them in time to swap to a new arc villain that's the one guy stronger than the character. This makes the story repetitive so don't bother with making the conflict derive from a lack of strength if the character is already strong.

4. Don't make the character the main character. If the character is a villain, a goal for the main character to reach, a mysterious figure, or a mentor then overwhelming strength is actually a benefit to the character, because all of those characters push the main character's growth. If the character is actively fighting on the side of the main character or is the main character, it just removes stakes from the story.

5. Don't put the character in a group. It's a stupid lesson to learn that you need to cooperate with people when you're that much stronger than them. If the character is indestructible then all of his/her plans would be ones in which the very much non-indestructible teammates get killed.

6. Don't write the character to only be able to defend. If the character is incredibly physically tough they'd also pack a punch. If you make it so that they defend themselves from all the attacks but need someone else to finish the fight, then you might as well just focus on the character that's finishing all the fights.

7. If you don't listen to any of that advice, make the character a strategist so that they need to come up with a new plan to win each new battle with different characters that possess different advantages and disadvantages each time. This will at the very least add variety to the story, keeping it engaging.
2. Action isn't the main focus of the series, but is an integral part of the series, so there would be lots of action scenes, but would focus and mostly center round the world view and morals the various characters have and how that affects them and how the difference in their world view affected them while growing up.

3. For the Goku part that was merely an allegory the character isn't actually like that and there won't be a villain stronger than the rest just for the tank to beat it's more of a series of people in their way that they have to take care of all varying in power levels, also the tank I'll be focusing on is a villain in a way that would do anything to achieve their goal, lives means or making sure people that aren't part of the objective are okay completely pointless to them and would even kill any by standards that obstruct it.

4. The stakes isn't so much of the battle element rather on the mystery of the secret organization that they run and the drama, action is there cause magic and fantasy, the tank is a main character of sorts, but still on the villain side of things.

5. They didn't and do actually want to be in a team, okay this is hard to explain, but them being in a group is all part of the process of the character arc, they aren't actually super strong; they are incapable of taking damage from most people in the verse, but pack a huge punch thus more than not require partners to aid them, so the non-indestructible teammates are actually needed.

6. The tank won't be the main focus of the series, but they would be the main driving force for most of the arcs and yes they can mostly only defend cause most of the power is only in defence, doesn't mean that there ways to finish them as is and finishers would have time to shine.

7. I do intend to make them a strategist that comes with lots of battle strategies and contingencies.
View attachment 18258
What I think of tanks.
Yes, except for I think that Spidey would take permanent damage if he physically attacks my tank

Getterkuma

1. I actually thought it was some kind of sentient machine, you should reconsider the use of "literal"

2. What do you mean "Basically Goku"? Goku is pretty strong, but he has a lot of options for short, medium and long range attacks. Plus Goku is rarely stand-offish, he is kinda Oaffish.

3. I like highly durable characters that have durability as their main strong point. You can build them in many ways, like for example a determinator who needs to be smart because as durable as he is, he can't dish as much damage as he can take. Or maybe he is a cross-counter artist, taking damage waiting for his window of opportunity to strike. He could be a protector and is the first to jump and take damage, or he could be an arrogant warrior who thinks that never getting injured seriously is the same as being actually strong, until he gets his ass served and learns a valuable lesson. As rigid as the archetype seems, it has a lot of versatility depending how you use it.

1683331238569.png

One of my favorite "tank" characters is Noh Gajang from "Peerless Dad". In a world of kung-fu mastery and technique, he wins by being harder than steel and taking hits nobody in their right mind would do and he keeps getting up because he knows he needs to protect his children. He is an uber badass nigh-unkillable warrior, but even like that he is a small fish in a much bigger pond, as he can block certain type of attacks, while others can affect him and learning how to diversify his skillset and improve his failings is part of his journey.

miyoga

Dude, you've basically described Sloth from Fullmetal Alchemist.