Youtube Kids: The good, the bad, the ugly

Redemit

Seriously Just don't let your kid on YouTube by themselves.
My sister-in-law gives my 5 year old niece her phone all the time and the number of times I've heard inappropriate things coming out of that thing is absolutely infuriating and whenever I try to do something about it my dumbass bitch of a sister-in-law says "she's not your kid so stay out of it"😠😡🤬
Hmm, personally I would keep kids off social media (YouTube is social media) until they’re old enough to understand what it is.

that’s just me though.
So like 30?

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
I don't know how relevant Elsagate is still, but there was a series of really violent, gory, and outright awful content being uploaded with the guise of it being for kids by featuring popular characters like spiderman or mickey mouse. Honestly there's so much outright garbage on that platform you're better off restricting your kid to content you've already vetted rather than giving them everything but what you've blocked.

Anything educational or that teaches morals would probably be best. I heard good things about Bluey, other than it sometimes puts high expectations on parents to live up to the incredible feats of energy and effort of the parents in the show. Beyond that, maybe some crafts and science experiment channels would be good too. But for the love of god, avoid Cocomelon and toy reviews, that's just asking for brainrot and a parasocial relationship respectively.

(also I'm totally going to be that guy for a moment here who tells you how to raise your kid, but be careful when you let your kid watch. I've seen so many parents let their kids play in the middle of a restaurant, or even in a place of worship, and it's always obnoxious to everyone around them. Even as a kid myself I had to learn how to deal with hour-long periods boredom, even when I had a gameboy with me that would have provided entertainment. I've also got ADD/ADHD which makes it REALLY hard to do, but I'd say it was worth it.)
Thanky! I can't find the setting that will restrict the content to stuff I've already vetted, but I'm always in the room with him anyway, so I can stop it and block it if he gets into something I don't like. It's easier to block that stuff ahead of time so he doesn't get upset about me turning off something bright and shiny, though. I've found a bunch of channels that are just people reading books aloud, so I subscribe to a lot of those.

Thanks for the suggestion on blocking toy reviews! I've already blocked several channels that are just spoiled rich kids playing with a ridicuous amount of toys. I don't want him getting the idea that it's normal to have all that shiny crap.

Vnator

Thanky! I can't find the setting that will restrict the content to stuff I've already vetted, but I'm always in the room with him anyway, so I can stop it and block it if he gets into something I don't like. It's easier to block that stuff ahead of time so he doesn't get upset about me turning off something bright and shiny, though. I've found a bunch of channels that are just people reading books aloud, so I subscribe to a lot of those.

Thanks for the suggestion on blocking toy reviews! I've already blocked several channels that are just spoiled rich kids playing with a ridicuous amount of toys. I don't want him getting the idea that it's normal to have all that shiny crap.
No problem, good on you for keeping an eye on him! It's scary how much actual garbage there is these days masquerading as children's content. And this is coming from someone who grew up watching Cartoon Network nonstop as a toddler!

Midnight-Phantom

( Enigmatic-Entity )
:blob_pout: I don't know much about YouTube Kids tho, but as far as I understand, you need to create a supervised Google account for your child. This involves setting it up thoughtfully, including their age and other relevant information. The supervised account will be connected to your own account, allowing you to supervise their activities. I recommend looking into this site for more details and for setting things up : https://www.youtubekids.com/

I was watching a web show sometime back that discussed how some people create videos that, while not containing explicit scenes, include animated sex positions presented as workouts for kids. They cleverly avoid using bad words and nudity, making it challenging for algorithms to detect. I recommend being vigilant and keeping an eye out for such content. It's interesting to see how people can outsmart algorithms for various purposes, which can be beneficial in many cases. However, when it comes to this type of content, it's disheartening, and I don't know whether to laugh or cry about it. I really dislike this kind of thing. :blob_upset:

Last edited:

Tempokai

Overworked One
The good: keeping the degeneracy in one place I guess?
The bad: demonetization due of stupid age restriction, throttling of the algorithm because of it, inability to make a good content due to "for kids" censorship, and the can of worms that is a left leaning corporation
The ugly: Elsagate

K5Rakitan

I got some good ideas here and absolutely zilch on Twitter. I guess it's really dead now.

TheMonotonePuppet

A Writer With Enthusiasm & A Jester of Christmas!
Please talk about what Youtube Kids content is good and what is worth blocking. I'm ultimately going to use my own judgement, but I'm looking for inspiration.
I would recommend blocking Pokemon. This song managed to be on Youtube Kids for an excessively long amount of time.

K5Rakitan

I can't resist when I find stuff like this . . .

1.png