How long should chapters be for starting out?

Glacial

I just wrote my first chapter, but when I got to point I considered it finished it only had about 350 words. Should I try to stretch chapters or should I just fuse chapters to make them longer?

Lloyd

Professional Writer
Personally I do chapters of at least 2k words and i would never do anything under that, but I've seen some people make 500 word chapters work.
For your first chapter though i would suggest making it longer, how you do that is up to you.

KoyukiMegumi

Kitty
I personally let it go as long as I want. :blob_melt: I have had readers say they like them long, so I just don't worry and just write the chapter out. But everyone is different.:blob_happy:

Snusmumriken

Vagabond and traveller
there are matters of quantity and quality. Quite often authors make chapters only 1000 words and less mostly to speed up the chapter release schedule. Some make sure to make bigger chapters to make the story flow better and have fewer breaks in between the plot points.

Smaller chapters would be more well-received among the younger audience, as well.

In the end, you have to find who are you writing it for and write appropriately. Chapter length is irrelevant if you are writing for yourself for example.

Glacial

1000 words sounds like a good amount for me, though I'll first get to 500 first, and go up each chapter.

Snusmumriken

Vagabond and traveller
I looked at your chapter - what you have is a scene really. Simply get a few more scenes that expand on the character more and establish the direction of the story, by the time you are done with it you will be easily past 1k

Glacial

That explains why I always have trouble making chapters a decent length. I considered the one scene a chapter and couldn't stretch it much. Time for some editing before its made public...

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
The optimal length for starter chapters are around 2k - 3k, but to be honest, the word length isn't important. ESTABLISHING your plot, characters, and themes is KEY to what you should be doing.

All too many times, I see people start off their story with complicated dialogue scenes or one-off fight scenes that are supposed to build intrigue and mystery but end up being convoluted, unintuitive chapters that speak less than their length. I get that you want to make your readers WANT TO READ MORE for the context but here's the thing: you don't need to. Those things only work when your story has some special gimmick or you want to show off something relatively special about your setting/system and you're CONFIDENT that it WILL drag people in to read more.

What you should be doing is introduce all the necessary elements for readers to gain enough context on your story's tone and plot. Themes and characters can wait as they need time to flesh out, after all. This is the make-or-break of your story, which I personally failed with my current story (I'm lucky as fuck to have anyone reading my shit now). Many readers, whether you like it or not, base their decision whether to continue a story or not SOLELY on what they think of the first chapter. They want it fast, snappy, and comprehensive, which is why the most often read stories online are those with prose you'd find off an 8th Grade essay.

If you want to write the best first chapter (for views' sake), value efficiency. That's where the money's at.

Jemini

The basic rule is that shorter chapters exploit the algorithm more, but are not so well received by readers. It's a bad idea long-term. There is, however, also a maximum chapter length where it starts to annoy the reader as well. The ideal range seems to be somewhere around 1500 to 2500 words, and the advice to aim at the exact center of 2000 words is probably good advice.

If you are completing your concepts in such a short number of words, then I would recommend just dividing up your longer chapter into "parts" with dividing lines mid-chapter.

LoliGent

The Lolicon Gentleman
I would personally define what a chapter is first.

To me, a chapter is a block of the story that can stand alone within the context of the whole narrative. So if you wrote 350 words, then all those words have to build up to what you want to tell the reader in that single block. One way I do to help me with this is plan out the story in bullet points. Say I want to make a story of someone trying to compete in a bicycle race but they are not fit physically to do so. I would outline it like this:
  • Person A has had a desire to join a bike race for so long but he's not fit. He's too poor to afford a bicycle that can compete.
  • He sees someone about to be run over by a car and rescues him. However, the victim gets his leg injured.
  • Person B is thankful to Person A for saving his life but he has injured his leg and can't compete in the upcoming bicycle match 6 months from now.
  • Person A confines in him that he wishes he could do so and take his place. Person B declares that Person A can do so and is willing to train him.
  • Person B trains Person A for months and Person A is now fit before the race starts.
  • On the day of the race, Person B gifts him his prized bicycle and wishes him good luck. Person A is more determined than ever.
  • Race day comes and Person A goes for it. He does well in the beginning.
  • Half-way, he's feeling the pressure as the competition starts getting fierce. He soon realizes that he pushed himself too much in the beginning.
  • He's on the last leg of the race and he feels he can't do it. He sees his coach up ahead and this gives him the courage to try.
  • He tries his best and he manages to get 3rd place.
  • The coach congratulates him but he feels so bummed out he didn't win. The coach assures him that for his first try, he did better than expected. The coach tells him that next year he will surely win.
  • Person A feels better and determines to be better next year.
This is a small example. If it was going to be an actual story, I would expand it with a bit more bullet points. The gist of it is that the important parts of each passage are summed up in as few sentences as possible. Each chapter can be a single bullet point or you can take two, or even three, but pretty much what you planned to do with each chapter must be able to be contracted into a single line and then expanded upon. If this is too hard, you can then make bullet points within the bullet points, such as the first example:
  • Person A has had a desire to join a bike race for so long but he's not fit. He's too poor to afford a bicycle that can compete.
    • Person A has always admired bike racing since he was little.
    • He's had health problems that kept him from taking up the sport.
    • Even though he went to college, he stuck on a dead end job with student loan debt, so he can't afford a bike that can actually compete.
    • He passes by a bike shop every day and stares at a bike he's always wanted to buy.
And if that isn't enough, you can just keep making bullet points within bullet points until you believe you have enough to fill up a page with whatever information you believe the reader will need for that chapter.

So for your original query about word length, if you are truly worried about the word numbers, then this is a good way of figuring out how to fill up an entire chapter with a desired word amount that tells all the information the reader needs in that chapter in a satisfactory way.

This is my personal method. I'm sure others have their own, but I'd figured it can give you some ideas of your own.

Ai-chan

Queen of Yuri Devourer of Traps
I just wrote my first chapter, but when I got to point I considered it finished it only had about 350 words. Should I try to stretch chapters or should I just fuse chapters to make them longer?
While there is no rule for chapter length, 350 words is a bit too short. Even James Patterson, the dude famous (or notorious) for writing very short chapters wrote at least 700 words per chapter. So maybe write somewhere close to there?

Personally, Ai-chan isn't fond of very short chapters. It gives the impression that the story is not thought out and doesn't have any details. After all, 350 words is the length of a book summary. Even a high school essay has between 800 to 1200 words. If you're writing a summary, then 350 words is not an issue, but if you're writing a story, 350 words per chapter is very short.

That being said, it's your story. If you feel like this works for you, then go ahead. You're writing for yourself for now, not for thousands of people. You do not need to follow the established rule. Just write and keep on writing, you will learn through practice. Below Ai-chan shares one of Ai-chan's older work:

Chapter 1 – The Spring of Malka Kuri

My name is Sidney, Sid for short.
I was born and raised near Broomwich in England.
This July, I will be 9.
But there is a problem…
This isn’t Broomwich.

This is a place straight out of fairytale, or maybe some place with unicorns and dragons.
Just in front of me, is a bunch of fairies, dancing around a forest spring.
They are singing in an enchanting voice, but the words are foreign to me.

When I stepped out of the ditch that I mysteriously fell into, the fairies stopped singing.
They chattered excitedly among each other.
Their words melodious, enchanting.
Like the chirping of spring birdies, or the happy whistles of a nightingale.

They looked at me strangely and then said,
“Ku kree, a human!”
“A human fee fuu.”
“A human haa lee!”

“Hello”
I find it hard to speak, for some reason, my voice felt weird.
“Where am I?”

“Human ask where lee wee!”
“Kulu ku human ask where huwee!”
“Where else but the spring of malka kuri, huwee!”
The spoke excitedly as they flitted about.

Spring of Malka Kuri?
I walked closer.
Suddenly they scattered and disappeared into the bushes.
My surroundings became dark, and only then I realized that it was night.
It was the fairies that gave off light.

Suddenly from my left a voice said,
“Bathe in the fairy enchanted Spring of Malka Kuri huhuli. It shall give you the power to pursue your wishes, huwee!”
I looked to my left, but there was no one there.

My feet dragged me forward, towards the fairy springs.
The water was clear and as I cup it and gently let it fall back into the pond, it felt cold in my hands, and as the droplets fell, it sparkled in the darkness.
If this is not magical, then what should it be?
If this can fulfill my wishes, will it take me back home?
No, do I even want to go home?
To that wretched place, where nothing but suffering exists for me?
Is going home one of my wishes?
Should I not wish for something more?
But what is my wish?

I took off my pants.
I took off my jacket.
I took off my shirt.
And I noticed something was wrong.
I took off my underwear.
“It’s not there!!!”
I screamed.

What’s going on?
Why is my little friend not where it should be?
Am I cursed?
Is this a nightmare?
How will I take a piss?
Alright, calm down a bit.
Maybe I dropped it somewhere. Let’s check for my little friend in the ditch just now.
I searched and searched.
“It’s not there!!!”
Where did I drop my little friend?
Did I drop my butt too?
I checked my backside.
Phew, my butt is still there, but it feels a little fuller, hm.

I squeezed my butt.
I felt fleshy, probably bigger than Clarina’s or Cherise.
Of course, I wouldn’t know.
I’ve never seen them in the flesh.
I squeezed my butt again. I wonder if it’ll explode if I pressed more.
That would be bad, wouldn’t it?

I took off my remaining clothes.
I arranged it neatly by the grassy side of the pond.
Then, expecting cold waters, I slowly entered the pond.
But it wasn’t cold at all.
It was actually warm.
It felt good.

I cupped the clear, sparkling water in my hands.
I raised my face and let the water drip onto my dirt-covered face.
This feels good.
In Broomwich, there are no ponds that are not black, oily or dirty.
So this is a fairy’s pond?
Will I find gold here?
Oh no, that’s leprechaun.
Are fairies the same as leprechauns, I wonder?
Will they be mad if I try to search for gold here?

But that’s not my concern.
The fairies said that the spring will grant me the power to fulfill my wishes.
But what is my wish?
Maybe to no longer work sewing clothes in the darkness of night?
Maybe to no longer dig for coal?
Maybe to spend my life just resting like this?
What is my wish?
Will I know my wish if I can dream again?

When was it that I stopped dreaming?
Was it when I broke Mistress Elise’s vase?
Was it when father hit me for falling sick?
Was it when Mistress Elise fired me?
Was it when the coal mine collapsed and I spent weeks in darkness, drinking filthy water and eating freshly caught rat raw?
Will I start dreaming again?

I washed my face and submerged myself in the warm waters of the fairy pond.
I stayed underwater for some time, it never occurred to me to emerge and breathe.
I thought, it would be best if I stayed here.
I did not know what to do.
I did not know what I want to do.
I did not know what I should do.

Maybe I will find out if I stay here longer?

How did I get here?
Did I escape from the coal mine again?
Will father get angry when he found out I escape again?
Is he beating mother again?
What will happen to Clarise?
Will she need to work too now that I’m gone?
But she is so small, will she get a job at the mansion?
Will Mistress Elise hire her?
Maybe I should go back?

I must’ve fallen asleep inside the pond.
It was morning.
How come I didn’t drown inside the pond?
Or did I die and came back to life?
If I die, will I return to life with the power of the spring?
No, I can’t assume so.

I wonder how many times I have contemplated suicide.
But if I had died, who would help father?
And the priest at the church said all who killed themselves shall go straight to hell.
If so, will by living, I go straight to heaven?
Maybe I have died?
Maybe the tunnels collapse again?
Is this heaven?

Morning turns to night.
Night turns to day.
It turns to night again.
Yet my head is still under the water of the pond.
I wonder, how many days have I been here?
I do not feel hungry.
And so I have not eaten.

Time seems to pass quickly.
How long have I been sitting in this pond?
Has it been days, weeks, months?
Why am I not dead yet?

I raised my head out of the water.
I still had no idea what I wanted to do, what my wishes were.
So I intended to ask the fairies if they have something I can do.
But they were nowhere to be found.
I also took out the weed that somehow got tangled into my hair as I searched for them.
Before long, I went back into the spring, as it was a little cold without clothes.
It seemed like the clothes I left outside the pond had rotted.
It fell apart the moment I picked it up.
Not knowing what to do, I slipped back under the blessed waters of the fairy spring.

AliceShiki

Magical Girl of Love and Justice
Seems a bit too short to me, so I'd recommend trying to stretch things a bit.

1500-2500 seems to be the good range, but you don't need to strictly adhere to it, You can make shorter or longer chapters according to need, just... Try avoiding making them way longer or way shorter~

KoyukiMegumi

Kitty
I learned an important lesson yesterday, and that was everyone has their way of doing stuff. Some may write 500 words and be successful. Others may right lets go to the extreme and say 20k words.

As long as the plot is good and the story is enjoyable then why not? For short chapter I believe you will have to work harder for readers to stay. For longer chapter make sure to leave spots where the reader can drop off and come back.

I still remember the days where some chapters were we used book markers to stop where we wanted. Just do you and like a fellow said pay attention to the audience you want to target. :blob_aww:

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
Even James Patterson, the dude famous (or notorious) for writing very short chapters wrote at least 700 words per chapter.
I think the man gets a pass because he writes in books. It's no more than a page turn, and the whole story is there from the get-go. A web serial needs constant updates and doesn't provide a fluid reading experience if you're intent on catching up to the latest chapter.

AliceShiki

I still remember the days where some chapters were we used book markers to stop where we wanted. Just do you and like a fellow said pay attention to the audience you want to target.
... Anyone that reads physical books uses bookmarkers... It's easier to find where you left off with them... >.>

KoyukiMegumi

Kitty
... Anyone that reads physical books uses bookmarkers... It's easier to find where you left off with them... >.>
True... But but some sites track where you leave off. And well... Okay you got me. I just like to be flamboyant with words! Sue me! :blob_teary:

In all honesty though some long chapter feel like they are 15min long for me at least. I hate short chapters personally as a reader. :blob_happy:

AliceShiki

True... But but some sites track where you leave off. And well... Okay you got me. I just like to be flamboyant with words! Sue me! :blob_teary:
You'd seriously use a site to keep track of where you left your physical book off!? xD
In all honesty though some long chapter feel like they are 15min long for me at least. I hate short chapters personally as a reader.
I'm fine with most lengths myself, but I think I'd get bothered if I saw a very small update and that it basically had almost nothing happening in it.

KoyukiMegumi

Kitty
You'd seriously use a site to keep track of where you left your physical book off!? xD

I'm fine with most lengths myself, but I think I'd get bothered if I saw a very small update and that it basically had almost nothing happening in it.
No!!!!! I mean a site keeps track of what i read in web. :blob_happy: For books I use my memory to keep track. Don't even have a book marker!

Oh goodness those are the worst. Or when the leave it in the middle of the action like abrupt.:blob_catflip:

Glacial

As I'm more of a beginner writer, so as I write more chapters I'll use the expierience to make them around a good length. I tend to be very frank writing which is a bad habbit of mine.