download.jpg flo89cveju271.jpg
Had to get these especially for him

The_Everdistant_Utopia

Mapmaker | Writer | Lorekeeper
Where has this been posted?

fyrre

ohko

tilda~ me~ home~ ♪
Ah @fyrre, I wanted to get your opinions on the status of slavery and it's variants in the Conshire Isles, specifically:
  • Are there serfs? (peasants who aren't allowed to leave their land, so they're basically forced to be farmers)
  • Are there indentured servants? (people who can't quit their jobs but they still get paid)
  • How bad is the wealth/poverty gap?
  • Is there legalized or informal discrimination/racism of any kind? (i.e. "We don't like orcs here. No goblins allowed in hotels.")
I think based on the library page, it seems like it would be "no" to a bunch of these, but you also recently described an Astalart faction so I was curious! What would the Astalart faction's opinions be on these subjects?

fyrre

Ah @fyrre, I wanted to get your opinions on the status of slavery and it's variants in the Conshire Isles, specifically:
  • Are there serfs? (peasants who aren't allowed to leave their land, so they're basically forced to be farmers)
  • Are there indentured servants? (people who can't quit their jobs but they still get paid)
  • How bad is the wealth/poverty gap?
  • Is there legalized or informal discrimination/racism of any kind? (i.e. "We don't like orcs here. No goblins allowed in hotels.")
I think based on the library page, it seems like it would be "no" to a bunch of these, but you also recently described an Astalart faction so I was curious! What would the Astalart faction's opinions be on these subjects?
Serfs and indentured servants would definitely be a thing in Conshire Isles! I have a headcanon that a lot of nobles on Conshire are part of the Astalart faction and so most nobles would probably treat their servants well considering these people get things done for them and the fact that Astalart faction nobles wouldn't want their reputation to be tarnished because of rumors that they treat people under them horribly, plus nobles wouldn't want their servants revolting against them. But that doesn't mean these nobles would consider servants equal to them.

There would be a wide wealth/poverty gap between Conshire Isles nobles and ordinary citizens. Most citizens are adventurers, opportunists, or just regular people who are trying to make a living and have a decent life. But considering Brinehill is an expensive city basically only for nobles, ordinary citizens wouldn't be able to afford the high rent so I think there would be some kind of slums. People who live in the city are either nouveau rich, which are people who built up their own wealth or acquired it by some means, or wealthy minor nobles.

As I've mentioned in my story, Conshire Isles has a countryside. And people who live in the countryside are extremely wealthy nobles or nobles who have titles.

And for racism/discrimination against some kind, you could expect there would be some. Nonhuman races who don't appear human or who don't have any human features would be heavily discriminated against. These nonhumans would be described as horrid, beasts who don't deserve to be living amongst humans. For races that appear somewhat human, that would be accepted. For example, elves, beastmen, fairies.

Astalart faction's opinion on these subjects would be heavily biased. Since they think they're so high and mighty, it's like their right to be served by people below them. If they have a problem with a servant or another noble they'd solve it in private. No problematic affairs should ever be leaked out. And as I've said before Astalart nobles will treat their people well but they won't get to buddy buddy with them. Having a close relationship with a servant or someone of commoner blood is considered taboo and very scandalous.

Hope that makes sense! And I hope I didn't take too long with this! @ohko

ohko

tilda~ me~ home~ ♪
Serfs and indentured servants would definitely be a thing in Conshire Isles! I have a headcanon that a lot of nobles on Conshire are part of the Astalart faction and so most nobles would probably treat their servants well considering these people get things done for them and the fact that Astalart faction nobles wouldn't want their reputation to be tarnished because of rumors that they treat people under them horribly, plus nobles wouldn't want their servants revolting against them. But that doesn't mean these nobles would consider servants equal to them.

There would be a wide wealth/poverty gap between Conshire Isles nobles and ordinary citizens. Most citizens are adventurers, opportunists, or just regular people who are trying to make a living and have a decent life. But considering Brinehill is an expensive city basically only for nobles, ordinary citizens wouldn't be able to afford the high rent so I think there would be some kind of slums. People who live in the city are either nouveau rich, which are people who built up their own wealth or acquired it by some means, or wealthy minor nobles.

As I've mentioned in my story, Conshire Isles has a countryside. And people who live in the countryside are extremely wealthy nobles or nobles who have titles.

And for racism/discrimination against some kind, you could expect there would be some. Nonhuman races who don't appear human or who don't have any human features would be heavily discriminated against. These nonhumans would be described as horrid, beasts who don't deserve to be living amongst humans. For races that appear somewhat human, that would be accepted. For example, elves, beastmen, fairies.

Astalart faction's opinion on these subjects would be heavily biased. Since they think they're so high and mighty, it's like their right to be served by people below them. If they have a problem with a servant or another noble they'd solve it in private. No problematic affairs should ever be leaked out. And as I've said before Astalart nobles will treat their people well but they won't get to buddy buddy with them. Having a close relationship with a servant or someone of commoner blood is considered taboo and very scandalous.

Hope that makes sense! And I hope I didn't take too long with this! @ohko
This is great! Thanks for sharing your thoughts! I'll use this as a reference!