What is your opinion on edgy humor for those who dont know here is a urban dictionary

Ymadthepirate

Professional Bitch Faggot in da house
For those of you who don't know edgy humor here is urban dictionary's definitions

Humor that is made up of intentionally offensive ironic jokes that are told/posted for the shock value and/or the facetiousness of the subject. Used mostly by teenagers on reddit or 4chan. Not usually intended to be taken literally.
9/11 jokes are a good example of edgy humor.

An excuse men make when they get called out for being offensive or just plain out disrespectful towards any race, religion, gender, etc.

Lorelliad

creating magic in a magic-less world 🪄
Is this a lighter version of dark humor, but just with a more comedic tone to it?

PeacefulMyst

In your heart~
Humour and dark humour is completely different from offensive humour.

And also, Ben I agree.

Agentt

Thighs
It's lazy most of the time, tho there are some high brow ones

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
edgy humour is like any humour. different folks, different strokes. it's only that some folks can't mind their business and let jokes be jokes and somehow have to conflate a sense of humour with personal ideology. said folks would complain about "jokes always punching down" but the truth of the matter is that their egos are so fragile any joke would be a hail mary sending them straight through the dirt.

same goes for the other side of the coin. just because they don't like your joke doesn't mean it's a hate comment. they just don't like your shit, and is as free as you to make a joke as it is to make a statement.

unless it's from me, then it's unequivocally hate speech. fuck you. i hope you get urinary tract inflammation when you're trying to sleep at night.

I don't mind edgy jokes so long as the person using them knows that there is a time and place for them.
conversely, there is also a time and place to complain about edgy jokes. during a serious discussion or at your grandma's funeral? yeah, that's fair game. right smack dab in the middle of a discord call having a good time? yeah, you deserved to have your dead grandma roasted for that.

inb4 ben writes a 3 paragraph essay insulting your whole lineage
And also, Ben I agree.

Last edited:

OtherSlater

Because The First Slater Died.
People use that “edgy” tag just to be offensive, so it’s hit or miss. Like some people just be straight up racist and when you call them out they go “omg I’m just be edgy quit being sensitive!!” Then proceed to drop a racial slur.

LordJoyde

I personally feel like the meaning of 'edgy' has been lost in a sea of degeneracy and general stupidity. Just because someone is dark, depressive or primarily negative does not automatically make them nearly as childish as people who think that's what the word means.

OOOh- you're so 'edgy', just like a teenager! I'll admit that a lot of teenagers are 'edgy', but the classification goes further than that in my opinion. And it definitely isn't something that should be used as an insult towards authors. It feels bland, low class and mediocre in effort, its bonus point being only that it is 'relatively' new.

With that said, I agree with OtherSlater to a degree. Some people abuse the multi-faceted nature of being edgy as an excuse for comparably reprehensible actions, not understanding that the edgyness of being edgy is direct at oneself, a selfish inner darkness if you will, and not at others. You aren't being 'edgy' by saying one genetic group of people should be eradicated or somehow ostracized, you're just being normie-minded.

Greyman

Don't really care as long as some thing are left out, even as joke.

Ymadthepirate

If you couldn't tell i'm very edgy look at my humor, my writing, my actions i am edgy and I'm way worse irl :)

Hathnuz

Dark, edgy, or black, I love them all. They never fail to make me laugh no matter time and place. And the more taboo the topic, the better the jokes. Dark humor is like children with leukemia; they never get old.

Ymadthepirate

Dark, edgy, or black, I love them all. They never fail to make me laugh no matter time and place. And the more taboo the topic, the better the jokes. Dark humor is like children with leukemia; they never get old.
Agreed

Bloodbath_Voracity

I'm not sure by edgy humor but lemme assume it is dark or morbid humor.

For me, they're fine no matter how offensive or dark it is. Even if it's pure insult. Even if it's I am the target.

I mean, it's a matter of perspective. If I take it for fun, it will be just for fun. Besides, I'm not in control of the other party's life. They can do whatever they want. But my reaction is mine to control.