Free First Chapter Feedback (V2)

TheTrinary

Hi, I'm Stephen
Hear ye, hear ye. The old thread is dead, long live this thread. (It can be found here)

After two years+, I am unable to edit the very first post and update my "Best of List" shoutout, so I have created a new thread.

The Rules are the same. Submit a link to your first chapter (or prologue) and I will give you a critique as well as a rating. There are no requirements and I will read anything. If I miss your story, it was by accident- just send me a message.

THE V2 BEST OF LIST

1. Caninstinct https://www.scribblehub.com/series/62445/caninstinct/
2. Ange'ls Dirge https://www.scribblehub.com/series/229892/angels-dirge/
3. Queensmen https://www.scribblehub.com/series/163971/queensmen/
4. Hive https://www.scribblehub.com/series/334266/hive/
5. A Meeting of the Ways https://www.scribblehub.com/series/700231/a-meeting-of-the-ways/

Be Sure to Check out my Other Thread for my Youtube Channel
https://forum.scribblehub.com/threads/looking-for-things-to-review.6228/
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUJHTBWLa93g8k9SAXCgSzw

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 93348

Congrats, fam. You could say the old thread stood the test of time (or at least longer than a year, lmao), but it speaks of your passion in writing and dedication to critique.

After a good night’s sleep, I decided that I lower my demands for an “indepth critique” because it could mean almost anything. Since you’ve already read my first two chapters before and wanted to see how my MC would develop, I’d appreciate that you let me know your thoughts on chapters 3-4 or even 5. Critique on my prologue would be pretty neat, too.

RynnTheTired

Pathological Sleepyhead
Happy new thread! 🎉 I've been lurking on your threads for a while (here and on RR), and they've been really interesting and useful.

Maybe I'll use this occasion to finally be brave and ask for some feedback. The reader response to my first chapter has been pretty good so far, but I keep feeling like there's something a little...off about it. I can't figure out what, though. I'd love to hear your thoughts. Thanks in advance!

https://www.scribblehub.com/series/589902/the-consequences-of-meeting-a-dragon/

TheTrinary

Hi, I'm Stephen
This is constructive feedback for the author, not will nilly reviews. You mam, are not the author. >:
Congrats for the new thread! Going to toss my story here again but this time, I remember to put the link! :D

https://www.scribblehub.com/series/712779/god-project/
Rating: Would Not Keep Reading.

The Good

The prose in terms of sentence construction is easy to read. I noticed right away how minimalistic it normally is and that's appreciated. One of the best things authors can do is cut everything to the bone. It keeps you focused, it keeps things moving. This isn't always the case, but you're at your best when you don't get lost in the details.

Some of the character work was genuinley good as well. I LOVED when the delinquent gang took charge and started ordering people around, defending the school. If I could review a story based on moments alone, that would go into the best of list.

Your Main Problem

Some of the pacing is off. That entire first page + drags on with description and reptition.

Yes the sentence construction works on a micro level, but the overall prose is vague and meandering. Straight up hard to read. I'm going to go over a snippet of the prose, at the point where I had to stop and re-read.

No matter. It had nothing to do with her. Cut. The next sentence tells us that she's ignoring what she seeing and choosing the keep walking.

She kept her pace while walking towards the staircase, about to take her first step down to finally return her mind to schoolwork.
Could be drastically shortened. "She kept pace towards the staircase, ready to return to class."

Her first step wobbled along with the building.
This feels like it should be simultaneous with the next paragraph. Would she wobble or hear sound first? I imagine they would happen at the same time. The way it's presented, it also means we have no context for this paragraph as it's written.

A loud explosion rang, thunderous booming and shaking came from right behind her back.
Redundant. You tell us there is an explosion, and then describe an explosion. Just in the same way that behind and behind her back are redundant. Just say something like: "A loud explsion rang from behind. Instinctively, she turned towards the sound, only to be greeted with the bone-chilling sight of a rising pillar of fire across the street. I would cut "towards the sound" here because it's implied, but this works.

The school that she attended was located in-between two universities and many, many small business buildings.
Fine.

If even one of those restaurants exploded, they would have to evacuate immediately.
You lost me here. Did one of those resturaunts not explode? What exploded? Are we worried that the fire is going to spread to a resturaunt?

OVERALL

I acutally liked most of it, I just think the writing needs to be more engaging and readable.
Congrats, fam. You could say the old thread stood the test of time (or at least longer than a year, lmao), but it speaks of your passion in writing and dedication to critique.

After a good night’s sleep, I decided that I lower my demands for an “indepth critique” because it could mean almost anything. Since you’ve already read my first two chapters before and wanted to see how my MC would develop, I’d appreciate that you let me know your thoughts on chapters 3-4 or even 5. Critique on my prologue would be pretty neat, too.
Mmmmm. I run these threads across two sites, have read a thousand first chapters in the past two years. Don't feel bad, but I don't recall reading yours and I have no context to engage with chapter 3+

The prologue was short though! I'll even do a full critique/ line edit:

A man in white stood atop a mountain, surveying the vast expanse before him. As he approached the edge of the cliff, Cut. This adds nothing. his eyes fixed on a village nestled amidst sprawling fields of whimberry trees. The contrast between the lush greenery and the rugged terrain of the mountains was stark, but the man’s heartbeat remained the same. Why would the contrast make him excited/ other? I don't understand this.

Cut down. This opening paragraph could be fine scene setting. It just has some extra bits and some confusing juxtaposition at the end that I don't udnerstand.

However, if there was anything that both landscapes had in common, it should be they was gifted with the “beauty of spring,” awkward phrasing. as people say. The man never understood the significance beyond the fact that the leaves today were, indeed, nothing like in autumn. I don't understand this. he doesn't understand seasons? But he clearly understands what autumn is. Despite the vibrant blooms that enveloped the mountain, he regarded them as mere trivialities, lost in his own thoughts.

The last sentence kind of works. Maybe if there was a clue about what those "thoughts" were. Overall it's weird and meandering. If I was looking for a new story to read, I would have gone somewhere else after this paragraph.

On a higher foot of the mountain, the man walked a few more steps, with the same gaze he had since, well… as long as he could remember. As people once told him, his eyes were like that of a “broken marrioniate,” and even now, it was just as much a head-scratcher to imagine. This could be simplified. Especially if we cut out the single sentence about moving earlier. "The man moved now, his eyes fixed on the landscape. People always said his eyes were like that of a broken marrionette." I like the idea of the final bit, but just saying "head-scratcher" is weird and "imagine" is implied. Maybe include his own feelings on that? Or even infuse some personality from the prose to comment on this characterisitc.

I actually like the idea of this paragraph a lot. Eyes of a broken marrionette is a wildly vidid description, just prop it up better.

The man sat down, gazing at the horizon once more.
Especially in the context of the movmenet you've written so far, this is almost commical. He's walking, he's standing, he's sitting. The audience doesn't even know what he's doing and it seems funny. “The time has come, as they say,” he muttered, hearing several leaves rustle behind him. He muttered this BECAUSE he heard leaves? That's how it's written. “Wreak havoc upon the village. This time, he will surely follow his destiny.” Kind of vauge, fantasy dialogue. I don't understand it.

It's engaging in the sense that something is happening. It's not engaging in the sense that I completely lack context and have no idea what is happening.

The forest canopy grew darker, and the looming shadow crept farther and farther across the trees, causing creatures of every size to scurry in all directions.
You have yet to establish a shadow. It can't be "THE" looming shaodw. Also the descritpion of creatures is vague- maybe just deers, rabbits, etc. More specificity. The hulking figure ambled and snarled, red-stained saliva running down its teeth. Good detail on the saliva, but I was literally picturing a shadow creature. Maybe make it clear that the shadow is cast by something.

Clunky but it works, especially if cleaned up.

Those teeth were “bigger than knives,” as people say.
This is the third time you've used "as people say or something similar. It's almost never going to be necessary. Just say, "The teeth were bigger than knives." Unless you wanted to put some real personality here and menace. Like" "The people of CITY once screamed that the teeth were bigger than knives. They didn't manage to say it more than once. And when the man felt the rush of wind as the beast leaped down the mountain, he couldn’t think of any animal to compare its deafening roar to. The paragraph is focused on the beast. So reverse it. The beast leapt down the mountain and the man felt the wind. Also, did the beast roar?

Clunky attempt at descriptors. Needs work. Altough I do think this is the write type of paragraph to have here.

Is this what they mean by disappointment? I’m not sure I like it, as they say, the man squinted, still looking over the horizon.
I literally have no idea what that first half means. He stood up and walked on a hiking trail, hearing his buddies call his name in the distance. You also don't establish "buddies" and the prologue is almost over. You can just delete that. Actually delete the whole sentence; you're including random sentences of him moving around. Maybe to create the illusion of action or progress? But you're just wasting your reader's time.

I don't know if any piece of information conveyed here needs to exist.

For all their worries about the man in white having been in close proximity to such a monster, he still had the same eyes as ever.
They as in buddies. Worried why. This is confusing and I'm left speculating what you could have meant.

To stare into the abyss was his home; to walk with it, his friend.
Good.

Overall, it feels like an early draft that needs some work.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 93348

Overall, it feels like an early draft that needs some work.
Indeed, because I thought of my prologue just weeks ago, lol. And if you’re wondering why it feels a bit wordy, it’s because I’ve been feeding my paragraphs through an AI. Also, yes, the way the “as people say” repeats in the prologue is intentional. It’s through the mind of the main villain.

Anyway, thanks for the feedback, fam. I was hoping you’d critique the story so far, but I won’t force you if you don’t have the time.

Erys

Her Highness
This is constructive feedback for the author, not will nilly reviews. You mam, are not the author. >:
We are the same person tho. We are the author.

If it's that bad and you don't want to review it out of politeness, it's okay! I won't force you to do something you don't like! Don't like, don't read. I have enough flamers in this site already.

Oreo

If it's that bad and you don't want to review it out of politeness, it's okay! I won't force you to do something you don't like! Don't like, don't read. I have enough flamers in this site already.
I reviewed your story so @TheTrinary and @SailusGebel don't have to. You can thank me later.

Rating: Would not keep reading (there is nothing more to read because I already finished the book)

The Good

The story is is full of the typical elements that readers love – romance, suspense, action, humor, and memes (yes, really). The author know how to weave these elements together in a way that makes the story flow smoothly, somehow.

Your Main Problem

The protagonist is a pretty bland character, who is easily manipulated into whatever the story wants him to do. His decisions are almost always based on which option would cause the least grief to the people around him. This is somewhat annoying and also cause the story to drag in parts. A lot of the details could have been condensed – the book was a little bloated in places. This made me wish that the author would cut down on all the unnecessary details. Nobody need to know what the characters are having for breakfast or dinner.

Overall

The book will leave you wishing for more with the amount of unanswered questions at the end of the book. The author has made a compelling story, but leaves it at that. The story is not truly developed especially with regards to how some of the situations could be resolved but it made for an interesting read.

Overall, it feels like there should have been more to the story. The author said this is the first in a series and more books will be written in the future so it's possible this story might be expanded. I hope that the next book will solve some of the problems with this book, because with this story, all we can do now is hope.

melchi

What is a custom title?
Hear ye, hear ye. The old thread is dead, long live this thread.

After two years+, I am unable to edit the very first post and update my "Best of List" shoutout, so I have created a new thread.

The Rules are the same. Submit a link to your first chapter (or prologue) and I will give you a critique as well as a rating. There are no requirements and I will read anything. If I miss your story, it was by accident- just send me a message.

THE V2 BEST OF LIST

1. Caninstinct https://www.scribblehub.com/series/62445/caninstinct/
2. Ange'ls Dirge https://www.scribblehub.com/series/229892/angels-dirge/
3. Queensmen https://www.scribblehub.com/series/163971/queensmen/
4. Hive https://www.scribblehub.com/series/334266/hive/
5. A Meeting of the Ways https://www.scribblehub.com/series/700231/a-meeting-of-the-ways/

Be Sure to Check out my Other Thread for my Youtube Channel
https://forum.scribblehub.com/threads/looking-for-things-to-review.6228/
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUJHTBWLa93g8k9SAXCgSzw
But queensmen is a dead link.

TheTrinary

Hi, I'm Stephen

Okay, so Leti is Erys. Got it. I'll get to it then.
But queensmen is a dead link.
I have no control over the authors deleting their stories.

ManwX

Im from a Timeline where nuclear war destroyed all
I would really appreciate it if anyone would review my novel. The link is below.

TheTrinary

Hi, I'm Stephen
RATING: Weak would keep reading.

STRONG POINTS

I'm going to complain about the blunt, straight forwardness or exposition below, but to a degree it works. Especially on this site. Here's the bare bones of what a character is, and go. Part of why this works, is because there is some genuine cleverness to the characters and the writing in general. I think we're going in one direction, and bam, here's how it really is.

The highlight being the marriage proposal(s). Both times were unexpected and fantastic. I haven't necessarily locked onto your tone and what you are going for, but you absolutely have somethign that works.

WEAK POINTS

It feels a lot longer than it is. There's a decent amount of bloat and on top of that, the ratio of exposition to story telling is a bit too much for my taste. It starts strong and I thought I was reaing a prologue at first. And even as we go, you grind the story to a halt so you can directly address the reader and let them know what is going on, or who a person is. You feel it.

You lost me in this section:

Crushed glass and pieces of the window shattered in every direction, onto the couch, and all over the strange-looking bird that stood right before them. Unlike most birds, there was nothing organic about its body. It was a creature of steel instead of flesh.

The two knights blinked at each other in shock. Rinaldo crossed his arms over his chest and frowned.

“You don't have to be a genius to figure out what just happened.”

Astoria's eyes widened in horror. “We are doomed!”

OVERALL

There are parts I genuinley love here in terms of character work and things they do, but I'm running into a wall with how much I enjoy reading the execution.

Erys

Her Highness
RATING: Weak would keep reading.

STRONG POINTS

I'm going to complain about the blunt, straight forwardness or exposition below, but to a degree it works. Especially on this site. Here's the bare bones of what a character is, and go. Part of why this works, is because there is some genuine cleverness to the characters and the writing in general. I think we're going in one direction, and bam, here's how it really is.

The highlight being the marriage proposal(s). Both times were unexpected and fantastic. I haven't necessarily locked onto your tone and what you are going for, but you absolutely have somethign that works.

WEAK POINTS

It feels a lot longer than it is. There's a decent amount of bloat and on top of that, the ratio of exposition to story telling is a bit too much for my taste. It starts strong and I thought I was reaing a prologue at first. And even as we go, you grind the story to a halt so you can directly address the reader and let them know what is going on, or who a person is. You feel it.

You lost me in this section:

Crushed glass and pieces of the window shattered in every direction, onto the couch, and all over the strange-looking bird that stood right before them. Unlike most birds, there was nothing organic about its body. It was a creature of steel instead of flesh.

The two knights blinked at each other in shock. Rinaldo crossed his arms over his chest and frowned.

“You don't have to be a genius to figure out what just happened.”

Astoria's eyes widened in horror. “We are doomed!”

OVERALL

There are parts I genuinley love here in terms of character work and things they do, but I'm running into a wall with how much I enjoy reading the execution.
Oke oke. So the weakness is just like what @Oreo said. Thanks for giving my story a chance!

Leti

Okay, so Leti is Erys. Got it. I'll get to it then.
Everything is nothing but vibrations therefore we are everything. Everything is just some vibrations trapped in what we call reality for unknown purpose. Therefore, I am everyone. In the literal sense, everyone is a different aspect of myself, and we are all sharing the same brain. I am the host, from which all these people are constructed from.
Oke oke. So the weakness is just like what @Oreo said. Thanks for giving my story a chance!
Our story.