System involving novels(Original novels vs Fanfictions)

In what type of story would you prefer the protagonist be granted access to a system?

• Fanfictions

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

OP1000

Hello!!!!
How do you guys feel about the use of systems in fanfics and original novels? Do you think that there is a difference in the way that they are implemented in original works or in fanfics? Do you think that there is no difference in the way that they are implemented in both types of works?

Aader

I am too old for this shit.
I don't mind systems, but I'd prefer it if they were implemented in unique ways, or if the rewards came with a cost. Oh you wanna buy a strength boost? Here is an hour of agonizing pain so bad you'd rather be dead, so your muscles can experience hours weight training in the span of seconds... per seconds

ManwX

Im from a Timeline where nuclear war destroyed all
I don't mind systems, but I'd prefer it if they were implemented in unique ways, or if the rewards came with a cost. Oh you wanna buy a strength boost? Here is an hour of agonizing pain so bad you'd rather be dead, so your muscles can experience hours weight training in the span of seconds... per seconds
same bruh that's why i torture my character. Specifically the mc lol in my fanfic. I literally give the side effects. Nasty ones lol. There should be a cost for everything hahaha.
Both fanfics and originals can be done great. I like systems that actually have beef with the mc instead of being so damn obedient. literlly handicapping the poor guy. This is one of the main reasons I'm writing me fanfic for my own one for my amusement ahahha. I really need to see the doctor, Me sadist side is getting darker and darker. 💀

Last edited:

Vnator

Systems are supposed to be another power system, but one that's based on gsmes and thus familiar to a lot of us nerds. Their biggest pro is that it gives the main character an immediate reward for their hard work. But a very common problem is when authors don't include the hard work. When that happens, it's just the main character getting a bunch of free power undeservingly, and leads to really bad and lazy writing.

Fanfiction has a stigma attached to it for bad writing. It's not always the case, especially with the ones I read (eg. i will touch the skies), but when I see a system where it doesn't belong to whatever story the fic is on, it's an immediate red flag that the author has no clue or desire for proper character growth or power progression. The original world likely has its own power systems, scaling, and progression, and a way for a clever author to insert their own character into it, to be a oart of the existing world. To throw it all out for something else that requires little thought shows that the fanfic author doesn't know, care, or is too incompetent to actually work with the world.

Like a Naruto fic. Why the FUCK would you have a system when the entire main point of the original story is a out the importance of hard work and perseverance? A fanfic main character has better work for their power like the others in the story. And if a hunter x hunter fix went with a system instead of something as complex, balanced, flexible, and creative as Nen? Then that fanfic author should be writing something else because they obviously don't appreciate the original story and likely just want to imagine their self insert getting with the chick with the vacuum.

Aader

Systems are supposed to be another power system, but one that's based on gsmes and thus familiar to a lot of us nerds. Their biggest pro is that it gives the main character an immediate reward for their hard work. But a very common problem is when authors don't include the hard work. When that happens, it's just the main character getting a bunch of free power undeservingly, and leads to really bad and lazy writing.

Fanfiction has a stigma attached to it for bad writing. It's not always the case, especially with the ones I read (eg. i will touch the skies), but when I see a system where it doesn't belong to whatever story the fic is on, it's an immediate red flag that the author has no clue or desire for proper character growth or power progression. The original world likely has its own power systems, scaling, and progression, and a way for a clever author to insert their own character into it, to be a oart of the existing world. To throw it all out for something else that requires little thought shows that the fanfic author doesn't know, care, or is too incompetent to actually work with the world.

Like a Naruto fic. Why the FUCK would you have a system when the entire main point of the original story is a out the importance of hard work and perseverance? A fanfic main character has better work for their power like the others in the story. And if a hunter x hunter fix went with a system instead of something as complex, balanced, flexible, and creative as Nen? Then that fanfic author should be writing something else because they obviously don't appreciate the original story and likely just want to imagine their self insert getting with the chick with the vacuum.
I can see a use case in Naruto. A system could be used to allow the user to see his body's status, and allow his to cycle his Chakra. It isn't possible for people in that world to gain more Chakra reserves, thus a system could allow the Mc to gain a little more Chakra storage, and maybe buy certain equipment that he otherwise couldn't.

Pyrrhic

Systems tend to be easy to add, but difficult to balance properly. This often leads to excessive rewards for the effort involved, and more rarely leads to the system becoming irrelevant or a hindrance. This becomes far worse of an issue in fanfiction, since conflicts with the original power system and how that scales are nearly inevitable. Generally adding a system to fanfics just doesn't work.

I will add a caveat to not liking systems in fanfics, if the original work has a system I have no problem with a protagonist of a fanfic using it.

NotaNuffian

This does spark joy.
To me, I believe that system is a clutch that authors would hold onto and it turns into a grindathon.

I voted for Original because to me, fanfics are often red flags of amateur writers/ SI/ lazy people and adding system to the mix is a great way of ruining whatever OG works they are latching onto.

Also, I have a hard time understanding the difference between system and litRPG, and the link https://forum.webnovel.com/d/41051-what-is-the-difference-between-system-and-litrpg-novels/ is not exactly helping,

ACertainPassingUser

System sucks. It's practically author's forceful self-insert character to force character to move the author's way.

And usually they don't even put enough thought and effort into it, or put some original thought after some draft.

Gacha is even worse, usually it's not real gacha and just what author would self-insert to help the character, assuming the main character isn't a Mary Sue SI in first place.

Acoin

The thing is I don't mind system in either...
It's just it should be balanced. Not too op.

Aader

System sucks. It's practically author's forceful self-insert character to force character to move the author's way.

And usually they don't even put enough thought and effort into it, or put some original thought after some draft.

Gacha is even worse, usually it's not real gacha and just what author would self-insert to help the character, assuming the main character isn't a Mary Sue SI in first place.
I'm writing a story with a system. I used an ai to create gacha items and use a virtual dice roller for what he gets. If the item is too weird I use the ai for ideas on how the item can be used, or ask friends.

K5Rakitan

Level 35 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
I'm too busy parenting. When I'm not parenting, I'm reading parenting books.

BigBadBoi

Most systems suck hard because they give you powerboosts like they're an ancient african king giving so much gold they crash the market. While some litrpgs are enjoyable most of them result in powercreep and a whole fucking book of skills they most likely won't use. If you're talking about actual systems stories then they suffer from the same shit except replace the skills with OP items.
If you're going for a litrpg system then I prefer if it only shows stats and you're incapable of getting stat points if possible.
Regular system novels should only be used as a support and the MC should never rely on it kind like "Little Tyrant Doesn't Want to Meet a Bad End" where the stuff the MC gets are only auxillary and he mostly relies on himself.

BlackKnightX

The system makes things more tangible: the goal, the progress, the skill level, among other things.

ACertainPassingUser

I'm too busy parenting. When I'm not parenting, I'm reading parenting books.
Actually seeing another households and how they raise they children in the same range of your economic level is a good idea to see which method is practical and which one isn't.

Take a look at those successful parent and the one that have prodigious kids that have won many contest, or the one parent that you actually admire.

It's better to not really listen to the advice they say by just meeting until you actually visit them to see how they do their everyday lives, because seeing how different they tackle everyday issues is far more useful and eye opening than just listening/reading their words in books/interview, which usually amount to nothing bullshit if taken without context.

Or maybe visit psychologist and parenting professional that have title they can lose if they do something stupid, not some shitty workshop filled with ads of another workshop and other book ads etc. The more dodgy ad and consumerism ad the worse they're.

Parenting book can only tell so much while shows nearly nothing, especially when buying a discount book or book with just thought and no research. Those boon were in discount for a reason, try to find whether it's a good reason or the bad reason.

Especially one your child is starting into the Elementary school level, your social skill is going to be tested by your kid who've been encountered and interacting with 10-30+ random kid in their school, and you're only interacted less than 3-5 people you know while only side glanced the 5 rest and didn't bat an eye to the 10 rest.

And it will get worse in middle school upwards, your kids already interacted with up-to-date 30++ kids from random background and circumstances, although it also depend on who's the target market of the school you choose.

And high school, you need to talk about university they would like to choose. Social interaction is hell, pretty much everything in TikTok is made by and targeting mid schooler or highscholer. It's practically tip-toe-ing the whole teenage social trap nightmare while getting high score to get the university they dreamed.

The book from 5 year ago won't be much use as they won't show any issue and social update of the current month of the year.

This is why kids always thought their parent is Outdated and irrelevant when compared to their schoolmates. Parent kept repeating the same thing from "forever" years ago while their friends change in the whole weeks and month period.

And even if the "forever" is only 3-5 year, kids have different life perspective than parent. For kids, 5 year is already half of their life, and it mentally feels like 10-20 year for adult.

While for parents, 5 year is just another half decade to wait and pass with their lives.

*As I'm writing this, I also quite interested with the issue of how different parent and kids perspectives were about time.

Well, idk how to solve that.

Always put 2 hour to see the week's current trend for kids isn't a bad idea. Keeping up with current trend isn't a bad thing, but getting trapped in the trend consumerism and the FOMO is the bad thing.

Well, that's all I'm gonna say. I'm a bit obsessive with these parent bullshit since im bored. Definitely need to be taken with salt and sugar.

Last edited:

APieceOfRock

Yuri Lover, endeed!
Again, pain is NOT a punishment if it's gone the next chapter. Emotional pain, yes, but physical pain? Unless it's a persistent plot point, it's just a superficial thing to create an illusion of punishment. Most Cultivation MC experiences "pain that even the Gods can't endure!" and just continue killing the next chapter as if nothing happened.

Le_ther

Hello!!!!
How do you guys feel about the use of systems in fanfics and original novels? Do you think that there is a difference in the way that they are implemented in original works or in fanfics? Do you think that there is no difference in the way that they are implemented in both types of works?
I mostly tend to avoid system novels maybe because I have grown to abhor the fact its gotten dull and stale. It is now mainly used as a plot deus ex machina but ofcourse 1/100000 chance it may end up being a great thing especially novels that is a game